Training with the Airhub

Arlberg

Training with the Airhub

Postby Arlberg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 pm

I get so bored on an indoor trainer I just cant do it. The time goes so much quicker and it is so much more enjoyable when riding on the road.

I'm wondering if the Airhub would be useful for getting an indoor trainer like workout (ie a constant intensity for a given duration) while actually riding out on the road, which is not possible in 'normal on the road riding conditions.

http://terraindynamics.com.au/airhub

Anyone using one?

Derny Driver

Re: Training with the Airhub

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Errrr
So much could be said about this.
This thing is the Ab-doer equivalent for over cashed cyclists.
The blurb says " There are no shortcuts to improving cycling strength. If you want to be the best, you need to train harder than your competitors" and then tries to sell you a gadget which is a shortcut to supposedly improving strength.
You dont actually need to train harder than your competitors, you just need to train correctly.

Training can be one constant headwind in all directions with this thing. And you thought an indoor trainer was bad.

No, no-one I know uses one.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Might be useful for those looking to do training for climbing in an area with no hills? (eg Chicago)

Not a problem I have, personally. Lots of fun climbs in my area if you are prepared to ride a little way. In fact it's harder to get a flat ride if you want to do a recovery ride.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 am

I also live near the Northern Beaches and yes there are lots of hills like McCarrs, Akuna, Bobbin, Galston, Berowra, Mt White, Brooklyn etc but all of these require no longer than about 10 minutes to ascend. Combined with the inevitable traffic lights, stop signs, speed humps etc it's not long enough for a sustained workout. Yes, you can do constant repeats but I would prefer to be able to keep a sustained elevated heart rate for one minimum 60 - 90 minutes and preferably longer. Yes, I can do it on a trainer but it is so BORING it makes me crazy.