Page 1 of 1

Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 pm
by Krank
Hello all.

If I am riding a 120km loop for example, how do lap times becomes important from a training perspective?

I do understand how lap times cab be of benefit during short course events with repeated laps over the same rout, but I am unclear on how and why lap times are used for outdoor training for longer distances.

How do lap times benefit the training regime and personal fitness in cycling outdoors on long rides?

How do you use the lap timer on a cycling computer?




Krank

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 pm
by Derny Driver
Krank wrote:Hello all.

How do lap times benefit the training regime and personal fitness in cycling outdoors on long rides?

Krank

There is no benefit at all.

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 pm
by Duck!
Krank wrote:If I am riding a 120km loop for example, how do lap times becomes important from a training perspective?

They don't, they're completely irrelevant.

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm
by Krank
Thanks guys.

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 am
by dalai47
Is that you zill?

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:55 am
by g-boaf
dalai47 wrote:Is that you zill?


Seems like it - same written style.

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 pm
by Krank
sorry - no Zill here - just Krank

:-)

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:22 pm
by Derny Driver
How many laps of the 120km loop were you thinking of doing?

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 pm
by gavin_rider
I use my lap timer to record my times at various landmarks along the way so I can later compare them with previous rides. So you might take a "lap time" at 31.3km at some landmark. Then the next time you do the 120km loop you will know when you get to the same land mark how you are going compared to last time.

Re: Use of Lap Timer on Outdoor Rides

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:54 pm
by kb
gavin_rider wrote:I use my lap timer to record my times at various landmarks along the way so I can later compare them with previous rides. So you might take a "lap time" at 31.3km at some landmark. Then the next time you do the 120km loop you will know when you get to the same land mark how you are going compared to last time.

Or mark the territory of particularly aggressive magpies :-)