KOMDefender - Do I flag this ride?

jasonc

Re: KOMDefender - Do I flag this ride?

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:37 am

this one came up in my KOM defender report this week - https://www.strava.com/activities/790964925/analysis
switch to time view and it's brainless to see that the rider forgot to turn strava off after mountain biking.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am

got these two this week:
https://www.strava.com/activities/796592998
this one was simple to flag. check out the HR. no way he's doing 100km/h at 50-70bpm

i got this one
https://www.strava.com/activities/796352824
this is a gps error. he's a pro. i'm not keen to flag it

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

jasonc wrote:got these two this week:
https://www.strava.com/activities/796592998
this one was simple to flag. check out the HR. no way he's doing 100km/h at 50-70bpm

i got this one
https://www.strava.com/activities/796352824
this is a gps error. he's a pro. i'm not keen to flag it
Strangely, my report came up with nothing. I'm not sure if it's because I don't have any KOM's or didn't really ride anywhere. :oops: :|

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 pm

It's based on where you ride. My commute goes along a freeway which means I get people driving home having left strava on

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:01 am

jasonc wrote:
silentC wrote:Well this is embarrassing. I thought I only had one KOM left, but when I checked just now I discovered another one I didn't know about. Someone has created a segment and it looks like I may have forgotten to turn off Strava when I put the bike in the car one day. Had me doing 49kph up a 7% climb. So I have cropped the ride.

The good news my second fastest time is still good enough to keep it!
ha - luke did it on purpose one day - caught the bus with the phone going. he previously held the KOM. someone flagged it anyway. and then they flagged his real kom attempt
They flagged 3 or 4 rides in very quick succession including the ones with power, cadence, heart rate etc etc. Its my main commuting route either on the commuter, the training bike or the race bike so there's always the potential for some fast times to appear.
https://www.strava.com/activities/488662518
This is the ride that starts it all as its the fastest for a couple of the big segments. Anyone that has ridden the road knows its easy to keep a high average as its mostly downhill if you get green lights. Most of the KOMs I got that day were only by 1 or 2 seconds. It was just that I had greens that I took the longer koms haha.

The same happened on another segment a couple weeks back. A ride which I took the TT bike out for a training spin :P

8 attempts faster than the next fastest person. Flag away haters :P

PS. I did have my Mt Glorious time flagged at the end of last month as it was done in a vehicle.... Just because I'm 11 seconds faster than 2nd place doesn't mean it was in a vehicle :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:56 am

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Point A to Point B on a bike, pedalling all the way is legit. Especially with HR and Cadence data to back it. External influences are just luck of varying degree's, and everyone has the chance to get lucky at some point:) It's a genuine KOM.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: PS. I did have my Mt Glorious time flagged at the end of last month as it was done in a vehicle.... Just because I'm 11 seconds faster than 2nd place doesn't mean it was in a vehicle :P
You keep coming up on my reports and I keep voting "VALID" :mrgreen:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Comedian wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: PS. I did have my Mt Glorious time flagged at the end of last month as it was done in a vehicle.... Just because I'm 11 seconds faster than 2nd place doesn't mean it was in a vehicle :P
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hahaha

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Comedian wrote:
You're lucky you don't come up on mine.....

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Well....... time to start training on the west side now with all this free time of mine :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
Comedian wrote: You keep coming up on my reports and I keep voting "VALID" :mrgreen:
You're lucky you don't come up on mine.....
Hahaha!!!! if I ever get a KOM I'm going to pay for site advertising here. :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 am

this guy
www.strava.com/activities/1251523437
https://www.strava.com/activities/1251523407
https://www.strava.com/activities/1251523421
same pattern all the time. rides for a bit. in the car for a bit (no cadence, speed goes up) then rides a bit more. someone has previously flagged his rides but he's got around that somehow.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:57 am

bychosis wrote:Drafting 'normal' traffic is fair game for KOMs IMO, it's is taking advantage of the conditions - just like a tailwind. Deliberately going out with a vehicle to motorpace is different.
This. If you say no motorpacing, then that would mean you can only get the KOM in still air, no tailwind efforts allowed. I've nudged 70kmh on the flat on a cyclone assisted effort, that was damn good fun :mrgreen:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am

jasonc wrote: same pattern all the time. rides for a bit. in the car for a bit (no cadence, speed goes up) then rides a bit more. someone has previously flagged his rides but he's got around that somehow.
My understanding (which could be wrong of course) is that, when you have a ride flagged, it is taken down and you are advised of the reason, but not the identity of your accuser. If you simply affirm that the ride is kosher, it gets put back without further discussion. If the same ride is flagged again, it gets looked at a bit more seriously the second time, and so the trick is to keep on flagging if you are convinced the rider is cheating. On the links you have provided, I should think it is painfully obvious the guy is cheating - 100 kph without turning the pedals is a bit of a giveaway!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 am

Philistine wrote: On the links you have provided, I should think it is painfully obvious the guy is cheating - 100 kph without turning the pedals is a bit of a giveaway!
strava won't let me re-flag it so i've logged a support case with 3 of his rides that came up in my komdefender email this morning

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:59 am

jasonc wrote: strava won't let me re-flag it so i've logged a support case with 3 of his rides that came up in my komdefender email this morning
I just tried to reflag the first "ride" and it wouldn't let me.
Clearly he has claimed the ride is OK, which takes away the possibility of an honest mistake and confirms deliberate premeditated cheating.

A few months ago, I lost a KOM to someone riding in a train (the segment runs alongside the railway). There was no possibility of its being a genuine ride because that would have required him to swim across a river at 100 kph, towing the bike behind him, as there is no road bridge or foot bridge within a couple of kilometres upstream or downstream. I flagged it, but an identical "ride" appeared the next day, which I also flagged. For the next few weeks a new "ride" appeared each weekday, so much so that my Strava interactions were starting to resemble a whack-a-mole game. I finally used the Strava complaints process and the problem was resolved within a few days.

bane

Postby bane » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I flagged it too. I usually don't care about this stuff. But seriously, f*** that guy.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 pm

I have wondered if the police would be interested in some of those "rides" where people have left it on in their car and then averaged well over the speed limit for a considerable distance. Not that I have the inclination to go through what would presumably be a very time-consuming exercise, unless it was someone you knew drove dangerously and needed to be collared.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:43 pm

There’s a guy who rides part of my regular commute route on an illegal e-bike. He’s doing 50-60km/h and taking every KOM between the city and Pennant Hills, via Anzac Bridge.
All he has to do is set his Activity type to E-Bike Ride, and it woukdn’t be an issue, but still I get “Uh Oh - you’ve lost your KOM” notifications a few times a week.
I worked my butt off for 3 years to snag the only two KOMs I have. One of them, I beat my own KOM in perfect conditions when I found myself on my race aero bike, in a massive tailwind, and I smashed my old KOM to the point where it will take someone in top form in the right conditions to beat it. I have no qualms if someone legitimately does it under their own power, but not some guy on a 1000W e-bike who can’t be honest enough to classify his ride correctly.

I commented on one of his rides by just posting the link to the strava support article on how to set the correct activity type, hoping he’d get the hint...obviously not
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:08 am

queequeg wrote:
I commented on one of his rides by just posting the link to the strava support article on how to set the correct activity type, hoping he’d get the hint...obviously not
Flag the ride(s). If new dodgy rides appear , flag them. If he keeps on going and / or rides you have previously flagged reappear, go to Strava Support and file a complaint. You have to hold their hands a bit - Strava name of "cyclist", links to the rides in dispute, and so on! You will get an acknowledgement within minutes, and a more detailed response (usually) within a day. Be persistent and they will fix the problem.

BTW - once your KOM disappears from the "my profile" screen, it won't come back for several weeks after the shonky KOM has gone.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Philistine wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Flag the ride(s). If new dodgy rides appear , flag them. If he keeps on going and / or rides you have previously flagged reappear, go to Strava Support and file a complaint. You have to hold their hands a bit - Strava name of "cyclist", links to the rides in dispute, and so on! You will get an acknowledgement within minutes, and a more detailed response (usually) within a day. Be persistent and they will fix the problem.

BTW - once your KOM disappears from the "my profile" screen, it won't come back for several weeks after the shonky KOM has gone.
Yeah, myself (and the other 30 riders he takes KOMs from) flag pretty much every ride he does. I posted the link on one of his rides because he uses Strava Android to record his ride, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he had no idea how to change the activity type so that it didn't record him on the Leaderboards. Well, that didn't seem to work because although he now puts "e-bike" as his equipment, he still marks it as a human powered activity rather than "E-Bike Ride".
Hopefully if you flag a rider for "Wrong Activity Type" enough times, they'll educate him in other ways.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:58 am

Wow, that girl is fast! Talk about steely dan, whoah! A menace to nocturnal wildlife, I'm guessing.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Could someone kindly help me out with a question of netiquette.

I have always had a bee in my bonnet about Strava cheating, and I used to read this thread religiously when it was well subscribed. It appeared to have rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible over a year ago, before a Lazarus-like comeback in the past few days. Clearly, it was only resting.

There were times during the dormant year when I had something to say that I thought would have been best said on this thread, but I did not post my thoughts because I had a vague idea that it was poor form to post on a thread that had apparently run its course - the internet equivalent of passing the port from left to right during a formal dinner!

Can anyone tell me what are the rules / expectations regarding posting on threads that have gone cold?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 pm

They aren't closed. If you want to post, do so