Tour of Bright: miracle cure needed....... :-(

Nitram

Tour of Bright: miracle cure needed....... :-(

Postby Nitram » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:30 pm

So I'm entered in the Tour of Bright and its only a few days away, and my aim on Saturday is to get to the top of Mt Rosewhite without getting dropped.........I'll worry about Mt Hotham on Sunday.......:-)

I've been doing lots of uphill work over the past few months, and racing a fair bit too, and planned this week to ease up and be fresh for the weekend....

Problem: sore legs ! Like......my thighs are actually sore to touch if I press them at all hard with my fingers. That's usually a sure sign of damage and a recipie for sad climbing...... :-(

Any suggestions as to how to do a rapid repair job. Massage ? Anti-inflamatories ? Miracle stretches ?

Cheers,

Nitram :?

jules21

Re: Tour of Bright: miracle cure needed....... :-(

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm

why are they sore? when was your last real hit-out?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Okay, easy riding, really, really easy spinning. Use the small chain ring and stay on flat cycleways. Make it super, super easy. 1.5 hours is enough.

Roll out your legs with a foam roller. Give them a complete going over. You can lay down and have your legs elevated too, that can help. When I say elevated, I mean really elevated, way high.

You should be able to recover that way enough.

If it's just that delayed muscle soreness, you know what that feeling is like, where they are just heavy, tired, sore, etc, the above will sort it out. If it is some kind of injury however, that won't help.

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm

I raced in the local crits last Monday and climbed around 4-5000m in total over the past fortnight. Probably should have backed off a week earlier.
I'll keep up the easy spinning (which I've been doing) and will try the roller on elevated legs. I'd forgotten about that: I used to do it with a tennis ball.
Ta
Nitram

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Ibuprofen will likely help as well.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:18 pm

Its only Wednesday ! You'll be right by the weekend.
Spin out the soreness today and tomorrow with some light easy gear stuff.
What grade are you riding?

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Only Wednesday ! True :-) And there's the drive down tomorrow which is a six hour relax....... I'll stop for an easy spin along the way somewhere.
Riding old blokes: Masters 6+

GJM

Postby GJM » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Masters 6+
I was going to suggest that the only way to cure this is to go out and smash yourself over the next two days. But seeing as though you're not in my grade ... then the advice above sounds right :-)

Re the foam roller - I would do it today rather than tomorrow. Don't know about anyone else but - I find that the foam roller works soreness out my muscles, but then leaves them a bit dead/lifeless the next day. That might just be because I'm getting older :-)