FTP roads in Perth ... any suggestions?

Dodgy-Knee

FTP roads in Perth ... any suggestions?

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good stretch of road in Perth (pref S.O.R.) to work out their FTP? I haven't done it yet but I was thinking that Albany Hwy/Bedfordale Hill just out of Armadale might be OK ... any other suggestions would be great.

cheers and thanks :wink:

Cul

Re: FTP roads in Perth ... any suggestions?

Postby Cul » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Not from the area so can't comment on road condition, or traffic. But Strava points to the below as being good options if you use a 2 x 8min CTS test format (FTP = (2 x 8min)/2 * ~0.9) though YMMV. I use this method as there is no hills over about 10mins in my area, nor flat stretches of road over 20mins long without breaks...

Mills Rd East, Gosnells - 3.5km (AT) 7% (KOM 9:25) https://www.strava.com/segments/609507
Canning Dam Rd, - 4.3km (AT) 4% (KOM 10:10) https://www.strava.com/segments/861229
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 pm

You can always use a velodrome if you cannot find a decent length of road.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:05 pm

The PSP north from the Murray River crossing is pretty flat and uninterupted
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Thoglette wrote:The PSP north from the Murray River crossing is pretty flat and uninterupted
Sounds a bit dangerous. Velodrome seems a safer bet.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:34 pm

g-boaf wrote: Sounds a bit dangerous. Velodrome seems a safer bet.
No it is not, the only velodrome in WA is closed, having it's track replaced.

If you want to 20 minutes on a climb at a consistent gradient, something like 7km at 5% (350 metres vertical gain), you are out of luck.

There is no climb in Perth or surroundings with 300 metres of vertical gain

The closest in 275m Albany Hwy over 10km from Armadale to Canning Dam Rd, never ridden it, but from Strava you see the gradient vary from 0 to 8%, averaging 2.75%.

If you only want a 8 minute climb, Pipehead Dam to Kingsbury has 2km at 8%, followed by 400 metres at 2% or so.

Flat, PSP south of Cockburn Central, 50km of relatively flat (worst is 300m at 3%) uninterrupted and very safe. I regularly commute on the 15km section from Kwinana to Cockburn Central, use it for threshold intervals on road and TT bikes, and lucky if I see more than one other person. Even today, at a most reasonable time it was more popular, total of 10 riders, a jogger and a walker (and that was there and back).

If you are near Champion Lakes, there is a 5km path around the lake. I have only ridden in time trials, but flat, smooth and relatively safe, if you get one kink wrong on a TT bike, you can end up in the lake.

ATTA have a 20km TT at Champion Lakes on 30th April http://atta.asn.au/

Want to set your FTP racing for an hour, Peel Districts Cycling Club have a 40km TT on 30 April http://pdcc.asn.au/events/time-keepers-tt-2017/

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Cul wrote:Not from the area so can't comment on road condition, or traffic. But Strava points to the below as being good options if you use a 2 x 8min CTS test format (FTP = (2 x 8min)/2 * ~0.9) though YMMV. I use this method as there is no hills over about 10mins in my area, nor flat stretches of road over 20mins long without breaks...

Mills Rd East, Gosnells - 3.5km (AT) 7% (KOM 9:25) https://www.strava.com/segments/609507
Canning Dam Rd, - 4.3km (AT) 4% (KOM 10:10) https://www.strava.com/segments/861229
Hi Cul

Thanks for the heads-up... I'm not familiar with the 8min CTS method so it was an interesting read. I'm still without a power meter but nothing like doing a bit of homework first.
cheers and thanks.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thoglette wrote:The PSP north from the Murray River crossing is pretty flat and uninterupted
Sounds a bit dangerous. Velodrome seems a safer bet.
I've ridden the PSP many times... it's a great piece of path and was going to be my first option but I thought that maybe something with a bit more meat on it would be better.

cheers

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 pm

nickobec wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Sounds a bit dangerous. Velodrome seems a safer bet.
No it is not, the only velodrome in WA is closed, having it's track replaced.

If you want to 20 minutes on a climb at a consistent gradient, something like 7km at 5% (350 metres vertical gain), you are out of luck.

There is no climb in Perth or surroundings with 300 metres of vertical gain

The closest in 275m Albany Hwy over 10km from Armadale to Canning Dam Rd, never ridden it, but from Strava you see the gradient vary from 0 to 8%, averaging 2.75%.

If you only want a 8 minute climb, Pipehead Dam to Kingsbury has 2km at 8%, followed by 400 metres at 2% or so.

Flat, PSP south of Cockburn Central, 50km of relatively flat (worst is 300m at 3%) uninterrupted and very safe. I regularly commute on the 15km section from Kwinana to Cockburn Central, use it for threshold intervals on road and TT bikes, and lucky if I see more than one other person. Even today, at a most reasonable time it was more popular, total of 10 riders, a jogger and a walker (and that was there and back).

If you are near Champion Lakes, there is a 5km path around the lake. I have only ridden in time trials, but flat, smooth and relatively safe, if you get one kink wrong on a TT bike, you can end up in the lake.

ATTA have a 20km TT at Champion Lakes on 30th April http://atta.asn.au/

Want to set your FTP racing for an hour, Peel Districts Cycling Club have a 40km TT on 30 April http://pdcc.asn.au/events/time-keepers-tt-2017/
Thanks for the suggestions...

Ive ridden most of those you've suggested in the hills and they're not bad but not especially steady... the gradient is mostly up but the course is undulating so it's hard to keep the power down.

The track around champion lakes seems interesting... i drive past it every now and then so it might be worth a ride.

I think a possible contender is from the bottom of Soldiers Rd and then climb up past Churchman's Brook up towards the new housing development on Canns Road.... I went down that road on Friday and had to hang on for dear life so going up could be the way to go (???)

I'm just shopping for roads at the moment while I wait for my power meter so no huge urgency yet.

Thanks for all of your suggestions :wink:

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:53 pm

nickobec wrote:.........the only velodrome in WA is closed, having it's track replaced[/url]
The only velodrome in Perth you mean.

There is a bitumen surface outdoor velodrome in Narrogin. It was resurfaced about five years ago if I recall correctly and is in pretty good condition. I was there in March, its about 90mins drive from Perth.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am

I've done mine on 3 stretches of road.
First couple was going up Albany Hwy... a nice gradient of 3 - 4% but it does flatten out in the middle.
Freeway PSP south of Cockburn is good, but if you want it to be as flat as possible then start it after the 'new' McDonalds horseshoes then head south... it's even flatter.
I attempted one a few weeks ago on Thomas Rd, started just east of Tonkin Hwy then went straight to the Kwinana Fwy. No lights, but a little lumpy at times - and the traffic isn't great.

Have fun! :D

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Rex wrote:I've done mine on 3 stretches of road.
First couple was going up Albany Hwy... a nice gradient of 3 - 4% but it does flatten out in the middle.
Freeway PSP south of Cockburn is good, but if you want it to be as flat as possible then start it after the 'new' McDonalds horseshoes then head south... it's even flatter.
I attempted one a few weeks ago on Thomas Rd, started just east of Tonkin Hwy then went straight to the Kwinana Fwy. No lights, but a little lumpy at times - and the traffic isn't great.

Have fun! :D
Hi Rex

I did my FTP a couple of weeks ago too ... I ended up using the stretch of Albany Hwy going up Bedfordale Hill (just out of Armadale) - sounds like you used this too... I usually ride this stretch as it's reasonably close by and thought it would be an OK ride... it's turned into a completely different beast when you're trying to keep the power down for 20 min 8-/ ... anyway, it worked out really well so I'll keep using this as a reference.

I've also used the Freeway PSP south of Cockburn but rode TO the Fwy servo/Maccas instead of FROM it and yeah - it's a bit lumpy... I've been as far south as the Mandurah turnoff and agree that it's much flatter further south but I couldn't be bothered riding out all that way when it was way easier to get directly to Bedfordale (not the right attitude I know but...well .. you know...)

Anyway - I'm glad I've got the numbers ... all I have to do now is pull the finger out and do some 'proper' training... :roll:

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Yeah the lumpiness along the fwy makes it that little bit more difficult. I don't need that when on the limit :)

Albany Hwy is probably my favourite, but when it flattens out a little for a minute or two it's really difficult to maintan the power. Besides that it's a perfect gradient.
Some use Brookton Hwy also I believe.

Mates use an indoor trainer.... but f*ck that :D

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Rex wrote:Albany Hwy is probably my favourite, but when it flattens out a little for a minute or two it's really difficult to maintan the power. Besides that it's a perfect gradient.
Some use Brookton Hwy also I believe.

Mates use an indoor trainer.... but f*ck that :D
Yep... agree ... Albany Hwy is almost perfect but i figure that if you keep using the same road, any flat spots or odd sections of road wont be a huge problem as long as the overall number (FTP/Watts ... whatever you're measuring) increases .... I don't need to know exact power output - only that the general trend in power output is on the way up.

Haven't tried Brookton Hwy for FTP... I usually ride up it on the way to somewhere else eg. Canning Dam ... road surface isn't super-duper but the gradient is pretty good.

Completely agree about the indoor trainer .... I use the indoor for sweetspot sessions and it sucks (time really drags!!!) ... an indoor makes it easier to keep the correct amount of power down for these sessions but there's no substitute for a nice long open road (pref new hotmix, tailwind and slight downhill gradient!!!!) :D