Why can't I sprint?

singlespeedscott

Re: Why can't I sprint?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 29, 2017 6:20 pm

If you want to learn how to spin get yourself a fixed gear. Nothing like descending a steep hill at 180 rpm to help you smooth out your spin.

g-boaf

Re: Why can't I sprint?

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 pm

stevecassidy wrote:Thanks Pete, I'll try to incorporate some of that. I've been getting a bit better in the sprint exercises I've been doing, a bit more consistent in the reps. up the little hill.

I've done one sprint in a race a few weeks ago at Eastern Creek - this is a downhill sprint for those who don't know it - I followed the wrong wheels so ended up around 10th but it was the first time in a long time I've felt like I was actually part of the sprint not just a spectator.

Not sure I could get up to 160rpm - need some of that psychology stuff...

Steve
You could do that. I never knew I could do 180rpm - yet I did. I think it's just practice. I don't think you particularly need to go and buy some special bike - just work with what you have and just spin up those gears, instead of trying to push a bigger gear. For me, the latter doesn't work, I have to spin quickly.

I'd also take a look at what the sprinters (both road and track) do in terms of workouts both on and off the bike. I know that last bit might not be as cool as riding down a steep hill on the road on a fixie at 180rpm, but I think it'll get you more benefit provided you do it correctly.