Old Fool in Lycra

Derny Driver

Re: Old Fool in Lycra

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:28 pm

nemo57 wrote:And it carried me to my first century today. Slow, but 117km/650m ascent. I'm chuffed.
And stuffed.

Thats a great effort mate. Quite an achievement.

Just dont do that too often though.
Theres 2 ways to run a marathon:
1. Run the 42k really slowly and try each week to walk less / run more / get faster.
2. Run 1km properly, good technique and pace. Do that for a while. Then run 2 km properly ....then 3
Theres merit in both I guess, but the second method is preferable I think.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks, Derny
I don't aim to do it again for a while, but as it looks as though I have to be off the bike for 3 weeks come Friday (having skin sliced out of the arm) I kind of set myself to see whether I could do the distance.
My mentor down here said in passing the other day that it ain't easy to average 25km/hr. He's right. I'm not within cooee of that. When I can get back on the horse it will be much shorter and a little more intense. Chipping away at it bit by bit ...

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Variety is the key mate. Throw in a long slow one every now and then.
Dont worry about average speed, dont try to ride to a certain speed. Ride to a comfortable cadence. Nice fast legs in a not too hard gear.
You dont pedal a bike with your arms :) You can still ride a stationary bike. If you dont have a trainer, drop in at a gym a couple of times each week and turn the legs over on a spin bike. Otherwise you will lose a lot of condition over 3 weeks.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Haven't reported for a while, but progressing. Between surgery and a quick trip to London to give away the eldest daughter the hours did drop off alarmingly for a bit. But I got some white legwarmers to protect against the encroaching Melbourne winter. My legs are so pale you can't tell that I'm wearing them.
How I see myself:
How others see me:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Made me laugh...
Mmm, SunTour

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Well, since I last reported I've ridden about 40 hours, covered 840 k, climbed 5.5 k and lost about 2 Kg. I try to get out every other day, generally for a couple of hours, once a week crawl my way up and down the Kew Boulevard and some other day try to climb 3-500m.
I do not enjoy climbing one little bit, but it's lovely when it stops. And, to my surprise, I find that I can actually get up some slopes that had me walking back in February, and am covering various bits and pieces of ground in only 3/4 of the time it took me back then.
All of which is encouraging.
Mostly I'm doing 30-50km at a time, and throwing in 60-70-90 or some such every other week. Spinning my stumpy legs like a veritable DEMON! But the more I do, the more I realise that my 210 km-in-a-day project for October is going to take quite a bit of work yet.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

nemo57 wrote: .... lost about 2 Kg...... I find that I can actually get up some slopes that had me walking back in February, and am covering various bits and pieces of ground in only 3/4 of the time it took me back then.
Mostly I'm doing 30-50km at a time, and throwing in 60-70-90 or some such every other week. Spinning my stumpy legs like a veritable DEMON!

Very encouraging mate. Doing well!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:32 pm

nemo57 wrote:Well, since I last reported I've ridden about 40 hours, covered 840 k, climbed 5.5 k and lost about 2 Kg. I try to get out every other day, generally for a couple of hours, once a week crawl my way up and down the Kew Boulevard and some other day try to climb 3-500m.
I do not enjoy climbing one little bit, but it's lovely when it stops. And, to my surprise, I find that I can actually get up some slopes that had me walking back in February, and am covering various bits and pieces of ground in only 3/4 of the time it took me back then.
Mostly I'm doing 30-50km at a time, and throwing in 60-70-90 or some such every other week. Spinning my stumpy legs like a veritable DEMON! But the more I do, the more I realise that my 210 km-in-a-day project for October is going to take quite a bit of work yet.

Really good work so far, well done.

I actually got passed by a guy on a carbon Cervelo yesterday on the Blvd, he was travelling.
Mmm, SunTour

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:21 am

Thank yez both. I still get passed by older ladies in twin-sets with milk and bread in their baskets ...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:12 am

nemo57 wrote:Thank yez both. I still get passed by older ladies in twin-sets with milk and bread in their baskets ...

Ah, so you've met my ex-wife...sorry 'bout that.
Mmm, SunTour

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:11 pm

And the 2kg lost is merely a fraction of the mind and body benefits of your efforts so far.

Well done.