Amy gran fondo training

Bellaella1

Amy gran fondo training

Postby Bellaella1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 am

Hi generous forum members.

I am keen to qualify in my age category for the Amy gran fondo in September. ( female, 50 yrs) this gives me about 24 weeks to train for the 120km event - has 2000m of climbing. I have an indoor trainer and don't mind training outside during winter. I live in a hilly rural area.
I enjoy cycling, doing about 100km a week at present But wondering if should simply increase my length and number of rides or introduce intervals as well. Have found a number of online training schedules to purchase but don't know which are good or would suit me. Advice welcome please!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Amy gran fondo training

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

There are many ways to skin the training cat. As for training plans, much comes down to your commitment to execute a plan. The best plan is one that's at least remotely suitable for you but most importantly is the one that you actually do.

It can help to find out if you are ready to commit to specific training plan by first testing your commitment to a simple plan. Having a goal is most helpful.

Keep in mind you'll get most of the way by simply riding more and riding more frequently.

e.g. here's a simple plan:
- increase your riding from say 100km/week by adding, on average, 10km/week for the next 2-3 months. That will eventually double what you are doing now.
- increase riding frequency to 4-5 rides per week
- make one of your rides a longer ride day
- one of the shorter days you push the hills and flat terrain a bit harder, and
- the rest of the days just ride as you feel you can.
- if possible, make one of the rides with some others to help with group riding skills and confidence (choice of a suitable group is key)
- make sure you keep it fun (whatever that means for you)

Keep a simple ride diary (or if you have the technology to track, upload ride files to a free online service like Training Peaks or Garmin Connect or Strava). Keeping a record is important because it demonstrates whether or not you are being consistent. Consistency is #1 factor for fitness development and progression.

Since you have variable terrain where you live, then the hills will provide natural intervals in any case.

That's an achievable progression, very simple and it will be quite effective in improving your fitness quite a bit over the next two months.

If you can stick with that for 2 months then you might consider something more specific to you and you needs for the following 16 weeks.

If you want more help, by all means ask.

And if you want to engage professional services to get things right for you and provide ongoing support, advice and accountability, then we can help as well. There are many options out there and yes it can be a bit confusing.

For now though I suggest keeping things simple, demonstrate your commitment and making sure you are enjoying it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Everything said above is pretty much it.

The more you ride (gradually increasing distance), the better you'll get. If your local area is hilly, then all the better. Riding with a group (a bunch who are very good) will help you in those situations where you are riding with a lot of people, if anything just for those situations where someone decides to go bombing down the inside on the approach to a corner at last minute.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum bellaella1
First post and you get a reply from one of the most highly respected cycling coaches in the world. How good is that! If you don't know who Alex is, google his name.
Take his advice. That's my advice.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi bellaella.

Your goal is very similar to mine. To get a qualifying time in the 55-60 male age group. base on recent years that's 120kms at 32kph so will take some effort.
I narrowly missed it 3 years ago, I trained well in the lead up with the help of a coach but executed my ride on the day badly. This year I hope to learn from those mistakes.
My specific training will star again in April, again with a coach. Group riding will help greatly, racing if possible, as to achieve the goal will require working with other bunches of riders as much as possible.
I tend not to target my training on kms but hours, usually 6 to 10 per week depending on intensity and recovery. Haing a plan is essential and you'll get loads of useful help here from the likes of Alex and DD, their knowledge and input to this forum is awesome.
Stay focused, enjoy the training, execute on the day and you will do it.

Bellaella1

Postby Bellaella1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:There are many ways to skin the training cat. As for training plans, much comes down to your commitment to execute a plan. The best plan is one that's at least remotely suitable for you but most importantly is the one that you actually do.

It can help to find out if you are ready to commit to specific training plan by first testing your commitment to a simple plan. Having a goal is most helpful.

Keep in mind you'll get most of the way by simply riding more and riding more frequently.

e.g. here's a simple plan:
- increase your riding from say 100km/week by adding, on average, 10km/week for the next 2-3 months. That will eventually double what you are doing now.
- increase riding frequency to 4-5 rides per week
- make one of your rides a longer ride day
- one of the shorter days you push the hills and flat terrain a bit harder, and
- the rest of the days just ride as you feel you can.
- if possible, make one of the rides with some others to help with group riding skills and confidence (choice of a suitable group is key)
- make sure you keep it fun (whatever that means for you)

Keep a simple ride diary (or if you have the technology to track, upload ride files to a free online service like Training Peaks or Garmin Connect or Strava). Keeping a record is important because it demonstrates whether or not you are being consistent. Consistency is #1 factor for fitness development and progression.

Since you have variable terrain where you live, then the hills will provide natural intervals in any case.

That's an achievable progression, very simple and it will be quite effective in improving your fitness quite a bit over the next two months.

If you can stick with that for 2 months then you might consider something more specific to you and you needs for the following 16 weeks.

If you want more help, by all means ask.

And if you want to engage professional services to get things right for you and provide ongoing support, advice and accountability, then we can help as well. There are many options out there and yes it can be a bit confusing.

For now though I suggest keeping things simple, demonstrate your commitment and making sure you are enjoying it.

Bellaella1

Postby Bellaella1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks so much Alex and Derny for your advice and yes, I'll listen to Alex and honoured to receive his assistance.

I haven't been very consistent with my training so I'll give myself 8 weeks to build in those suggested increases in ride times and then examine other trainng options if I've proved to myself that I'm committed. I'll post progress on the training thread to keep myself a bit more accountable, and I do have local bunches I can ride with. It's exciting to have a goal to aim for. I don't mind if I don't qualify but good to aim high! I did the medio fondo last year and the gran Fondo riders were doing a cracking pace when we joined up with them along the great ocean Rd.

Bellaella1

Postby Bellaella1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:23 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Hi bellaella.

Your goal is very similar to mine. To get a qualifying time in the 55-60 male age group. base on recent years that's 120kms at 32kph so will take some effort.
I narrowly missed it 3 years ago, I trained well in the lead up with the help of a coach but executed my ride on the day badly. This year I hope to learn from those mistakes.
My specific training will star again in April, again with a coach. Group riding will help greatly, racing if possible, as to achieve the goal will require working with other bunches of riders as much as possible.
I tend not to target my training on kms but hours, usually 6 to 10 per week depending on intensity and recovery. Haing a plan is essential and you'll get loads of useful help here from the likes of Alex and DD, their knowledge and input to this forum is awesome.
Stay focused, enjoy the training, execute on the day and you will do it.
Great to hear about your similar goal and I'll keenly look out for how your training is progressing over the coming months. Thanks for your response and encouragement you cannot be Sirrus

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote: .... To get a qualifying time in the 55-60 male age group. base on recent years that's 120kms at 32kph so will take some effort.
eeeek. Guess I won't be doing that event then :shock:

Good luck !!

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am

MichaelB wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote: .... To get a qualifying time in the 55-60 male age group. base on recent years that's 120kms at 32kph so will take some effort.
eeeek. Guess I won't be doing that event then :shock:

Good luck !!
Qualifying for the amateur worlds not the ride :-). There’s a pretty wide range of ability in the bunches.

I found experience made a heap of difference. With the old 110km route my 3 times were 4h26m, 4h2m, 3h37m. Pretty sure a lot of that was learning to pace rather than straight fitness.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Just had a week in Bright with some friends so managed to get three days of steady climbing in and loved it.
Starting on a new training plan with a coach on April 1, early bird nominations for the event are out this week. it's starting to get real. Luckily I don't mind training through winter and it's a good excuse to buy some new winter kit.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Bellaella1 wrote:...120km event - has 2000m of climbing.
I just recently did my first ever hill/fondo event. 100km with 2000m of climbing. Apart from it being physically challenging ie leg muscles, I also found my stomach feeling queasy after that many hours on the bike, constantly drinking, taking energy gels and eating home made energy bars. So maybe try a long hilly ride, with the hydration and food intake you plan on for the event, and see how you go.

To be honest, I felt like I was going to throw up after about 75km, and the last 25km were a struggle. But easy gears and slow and steady got me to the finish line without vomiting :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am

Entry fee paid this morning, training plan starts Tuesday. FTP over the weekend.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

First block of base training is just about done. Recovery next week ahead of baseline testing on Saturday.
I've had 3 weeks of mainly riding in HR z1 and 2 mixed in with some pedaling technique stuff and short 3min hill repeats one day a week.
Yesterday was 4 hours in Z2 and it was mentally tough getting passed on three of my favourite climbs and not being able to chase them. One group passed me on each climb, stopped for a regroup at the top as I rode past before getting me on the next one . It was like Groundhog Day.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun May 13, 2018 6:13 pm

About six weeks into my training and have stuck religiously to every work out. Starting to introduce more FTP climbing efforts which has upped the intensity a bit and work has gone nuts for me. Winter has hit and I'm a gas service tech so time is not my friend atm.
It's early mornings or trainer rides during the week and solo rides at the weekend. All my riding buddies are also training for other events so our plans aren't aligning atm.
I really miss the coffee shop but never mind. I can make a pretty good brew at home.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:About six weeks into my training and have stuck religiously to every work out. Starting to introduce more FTP climbing efforts which has upped the intensity a bit and work has gone nuts for me. Winter has hit and I'm a gas service tech so time is not my friend atm.
It's early mornings or trainer rides during the week and solo rides at the weekend. All my riding buddies are also training for other events so our plans aren't aligning atm.
I really miss the coffee shop but never mind. I can make a pretty good brew at home.
Trainer rides work, especially when it is really cold.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 am

g-boaf wrote: Trainer rides work, especially when it is really cold.
Doing a mix of trainer and road,I quite like the trainer for intervals as it's good for keeping them to the right zone and duration compared to the road. Good "bang for buck"

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

i did my first Amy's last year
I didnt do much training, all i did was 20 min hill repeats before work 2-3 days a week

I'll be doing it again this year

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 pm

tomee wrote:i did my first Amy's last year
I didnt do much training, all i did was 20 min hill repeats before work 2-3 days a week

Sounds like a recipe for disaster :D
Or pain .... or both :D
Read Alex's first post on this thread for a better way forward.

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue May 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
tomee wrote:i did my first Amy's last year

Sounds like a recipe for disaster :D
Or pain .... or both :D
Read Alex's first post on this thread for a better way forward.
:D unfortunately I was time strapped to ride and its the same this year. however this year have sacrificed sleep ins for 5am workouts on TR

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Finished my base training block today with an FTP test, build starts next week. Just waiting for the coach to get back to me with numbers. Looks like my FTP is about the same but my TTE is getting longer, which I think is a good thing. I've also seen improvements in my 10s and 1 minute power over the last block. Build starts next week and I've been told to expect more over FTP efforts and more off the bike stuff.
I also need to work on my flexibilty (a lot), I've never been that flexible and age certainly isn't helping.
16 weeks to go and all on track so far I believe.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 am

14 weeks to go and training is still going well. Doing more VO2 stuff with shorter duration atm which suits work/life/bike balance and the iffy weather conditions.
I had a confidence bost over the weekend with a club handicap race, finished 2nd in div 2 with fastest overall time. Did plenty of turns and finished really strong on the final climb, one of my best rides in a long time. It's good to reinforce that the training is paying off.
Got an open GSR in a couple of months which I'm targetting to see how I'm progressing, something to sharpen my focus before the big one.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Had a bad week training this week, busy at work, renos going on at home and crap weather and a dodgy knee. Did a hard lumpy handicap race today and wasn't expecting much with a potential knee problem, my group worked well but didn't get up but hit my best 90min power ever which was a nice surprise. Easy week next week ahead of yet another FTP test. YAY, I think.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:16 pm

The end of another training block this morning and another 45m FTP test. I wasn't expecting much from this one, have had some knee soreness and sciatica recently and missed a few sessions. Plus super busy at work, plus the World Cup, some first aid training and boning p for referee training for my club have left me very time poor.
The plus side is I was relatively fresh, as was the weather 5C. Hit exactly the same numbers as the last test, I was expecting to fail or see a decline, so I'll take that.
Training Peaks tells me 12 weeks to go to the event so now is the time I start changing my diet a little, don't need wait loss at 66kg but I cut out sugary crap (my weakness) and increase the good stuff.

tomee

Postby tomee » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:26 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote: now is the time I start changing my diet a little, don't need wait loss at 66kg but I cut out sugary crap (my weakness) and increase the good stuff.
This is one of the hardest things about training... for me anyways