Am I ready for crit racing??

trowland2

Am I ready for crit racing??

Postby trowland2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi,

I'm a fairly new cyclist and I'm looking to get into racing. However, I don't know if I'm anywhere near fast enough to keep up in a crit race. Recently I went to the murarrie crit track as a friend suggested I did some intervals to supplement my regular and longer rides. I did 1 lap on and 1 lap off 5 times, holding an average of about 38-42kph on the ons. Is this speed anywhere near fast enough to race/keep up with C/D grade at murarrie? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

A_P

Re: Am I ready for crit racing??

Postby A_P » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 pm

https://www.strava.com/activities/1580744743
this might give you an idea of average speeds etc

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:31 am

Yes you're ready. They'll probably put you in D grade just because you're new, unless you have other official race results. 1st goal is don't crash. 2nd goal is don't get dropped. 3rd goal is win and get booted to C grade for your second race. Have fun.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:38 am

trowland2 wrote:Hi,

I'm a fairly new cyclist and I'm looking to get into racing. However, I don't know if I'm anywhere near fast enough to keep up in a crit race. Recently I went to the murarrie crit track as a friend suggested I did some intervals to supplement my regular and longer rides. I did 1 lap on and 1 lap off 5 times, holding an average of about 38-42kph on the ons. Is this speed anywhere near fast enough to race/keep up with C/D grade at murarrie? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
I think the number one thing is getting used to riding very closely with other riders, knowing which wheels to follow if you are doing so. That's more of a safety thing / avoiding crashes.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am

g-boaf wrote:
trowland2 wrote: I think the number one thing is getting used to riding very closely with other riders, knowing which wheels to follow if you are doing so. That's more of a safety thing / avoiding crashes.
As a new racer this year, I agree. Learning to ride very close and observing what the others are doing is the skill you need to acquire most.
But great fun, just turn up and ride, you will soon work out your speed.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 am

Yep. You're ready. I did my first D Grade race a year ago, and got dropped. That race averaged around 35km/h.

Every race since then, I have managed to not get dropped, and started winning points for 2nd and 3rd place finishes etc.

Last weekend I did my last D grade race, because I have accumulated enough points to get promoted to C grade (oh the lofty heights!!). That race averaged around 38km/h, and to be honest I found it a bit slowish. I won the prime and came second overall.

Do you have much experience riding closely in a bunch ride on the road? Because even a D grade race will involve closer, tighter riding than you are used to. But you are definitely fast enough.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
trowland2 wrote: I think the number one thing is getting used to riding very closely with other riders, knowing which wheels to follow if you are doing so. That's more of a safety thing / avoiding crashes.
As a new racer this year, I agree. Learning to ride very close and observing what the others are doing is the skill you need to acquire most.
Maybe one thing is getting on the track and do some training where you deliberately ride close together, arms/shoulders touching the other rider. It's something my club did a few times run by one of our more experienced riders. It's not at high speed and it gets the riders used to that and how to react to it, and not being too tensed up on the bike.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 am

g-boaf wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Maybe one thing is getting on the track and do some training where you deliberately ride close together, arms/shoulders touching the other rider. It's something my club did a few times run by one of our more experienced riders. It's not at high speed and it gets the riders used to that and how to react to it, and not being too tensed up on the bike.
That reminds me, I should give a shout out to my club - Lifecycle Cycling Club - who actually run skills training courses like this. At the Nundah crit track. You can find them on Facebook if you want. PM me if you have any problems/questions.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 am

Its not speed you need to worry about. The essence of crit riding is what I call "flow". That means you flow smoothly around the corners at the same speed as you are doing in the straights. You can practise this by yourself on the actual race circuit. So you aim to do say 35 down the straight and 33 round the bends, inside pedal up and glide the apex, and power back down early on the exit.
If you do 40 on the straights and 30 round the corners, you are going to cook yourself in about 3 laps. You'll be losing wheels and chasing out of every corner. Its the efforts that will wreck your race.
Put on the softest grippiest tyres you can find so that you have confidence to corner fast. The A graders will be cornering way faster than you and they don't fall off, so you need not be hesitant. With practise you can flow fast around all parts of the track. And save the energy and the effort to bridge across to a break or something that is positive.
The first few races will be really hard. Hang in there and keep learning the bike handling skills.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 pm

You are quick enough, what you will have to learn to deal with is the close pack riding, the bursts of speed, then lulls of the bunch and that you may be required to go hard for intervals of time that you may not have done previously. Definitely watch your front wheel and if worried about others, try to avoid their wheel.

Do not sit on the front, unless it is in the final few hundred yards!!!

It is a learning experience and after your first race, you'll probably be hooked, so enjoy the fun.

Good luck too!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

you are not ready. that's OK though, no one is until they sign on and learn through experience. as others said, the key skill in crit racing is not causing crashes. this means being able to move safely in a bunch. no one cares if you get dropped. they do care if you bring down yourself and other riders. give it a go, be careful, watch what others do. and you'll be fine.

trowland2

Postby trowland2 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for all the great advice everybody! However, I've managed to crack my seat tube quite badly and it looks like I won't be riding for a significant amount of time now :(