Ay-Up Lights

Real life bike and gear tests

Ay-Up Lights

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Ay-Up Lights V-Twin Sports Kit Intermediate beam

Bought from the Ay-Up Shop (AT) Sandgate in Brisbane
They have a comprehensive online shop, but I wanted to see & measure the mount to see if they would fit with the crowded real-estate on my bars. They currently rest on a Sigma T-bar.

How it is used
Swaps between my retro road bike and my training mule. Mostly pre-dawn training rides >30kph, occasional commute. Replaced my SigmaSport Black PowerLED light (~200 lumen)

The Kit - comes in the Ay-Pod case
1 x Light, 2 x Handlebar mounts, 4 x Light mounting bands, 1 x Gecko Light kit, 1 x Gecko battery kit, 1 x Half Epic high / low & flashing battery & pouch, 1 x Half Epic battery anchor strap, 1 x 110V - 240V Adaptor, 1 x Single Channel Lithium Polymer Charger, 1 x 12 Volt Adaptor (Cigarette Lighter Adaptor), 1 x Extension cable 1200mm, 1 x Handlebar rubber packer kit to suit Diameters 25mm & 32mm bars, 1 x Bundle of 4 cable ties, 1 x Headband kit, 2 x Red Saxon caps (tail-light adapter), 1 x AY POD case, 1 x Wrist band

Output - quoted as 400 lumen

Positives
+ The kit is all in a hard plastic case; great for MTB/remote work but a little OTT for road use. Still it keeps all the bits (and there are a lot!) under control. The brightness is exceptional. The twin spots are a good idea - swing one up to look long and one down to look in front. Battery life - the half-Epic is quoted as 3 hrs on full; I can easily get 4hrs (2 x2hr rides) and it still hasn't run low ever. The mount for the lights is solid and rattle-free; battery mount like-wise. Button is easy to use even with winter gloves.

Negatives
- The instructions for fitting the battery into the velcro pouch & then onto the bars don't exist. It just takes a bit of creative origami to work it out. The handlebar light mount is hard to angle toward the side of the road if you want it facing a little to the left. That's pretty much it for the negatives.

Additional notes
Australian company, most of the kit including the case in locally manufactured. Were v helpful and they seem to offer great support - plenty of posts where people have had problems & have got replacements/fixes without questions.

Recommendation
Yes there are cheaper lights, yes there are brighter lights. These strike a great balance, have won a number of reviews and are Australian made too.

I guess the fact that three riders in our bunch went out & bought them after I got mine shows how impressed they were.

OVERALL SCORES

Quality Image

Performance Image

Value for money Image
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

by BNA » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:15 pm

BNA

Re: Ay-Up Lights

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Just to add, the guys at Sandgate have added a minimal kit. You spec it with only the mount you need (bar, helmet or head) and save some money. As you see the standard kit has all three.
ValleyForge

Re: Ay-Up Lights Service

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 pm

And as an add to an add, the battery socket was working loose occasionally one one of the lights. Returned to Ay-Up under warranty and was back in the post the next day.

Even paid for postage!
ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Now 2yrs on, 1 yr after the warranty job on the socket.

Both batteries still last > 3hrs on high. No other problems - a great investment. Wish I could say that about a few other things!
ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Now over 4yrs on the original batteries and original mounts and going strong.

I've bought an additional set for a new bike and I can't pick any difference in the battery life between old & new. The new switch is slightly higher tech, but otherwise the same.
ValleyForge

Return to Bike & Gear Reviews