2010 Specialized S Works road shoe

Real life bike and gear tests

Postby BigVin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Where bought and price
Purchased from Cyclestore.uk on sale for £119 + £20 shipping, which worked out to about $220 AUD.

How it is used
Shoes are used for daily rides, from 40k up to 100km+ rides.

Description
These are Specialized’s top of the line cycling shoe for 2010, complete with the FACT 12 carbon fibre soles for a consistent and strong pedaling effect (FACT 12 carbon is the stiffest in the Specialized range)
In leiu of ratchets or straps, the S Works utilise Specialized's BOA lacing system which means micro adjustments along the entire length of the shoe. Adjustment (increase or decrease tightness) is easy to do while riding too.
Apart from the new colour scheme, they seem identical to the 2011 S Works model.

Positives
Ultra stiff, very light weight (250g per pair) and comfortable. Even on the return leg of a 60k ride, they’re not overly hot, and they felt as good as they did first thing in the morning when I put them on.

The BOA system allows you to tighten or loosen the fit of the shoe independently from the front to the back.

Water resistant upper comes in handy and makes cleaning simple.

Replacement heel and replacement BOA system are available too.

Specialized also offer a life time replacement on the nylon weave on their BOA system which is a re assuring fact.

Negatives
The white ones get dirty quickly, but that’s a vanity issue, not a product flaw.

The cost in Australia (approx $500) is the only possible inhibiting factor, which is why I bought mine over seas.

Additional notes
Just note that Specialized sizes are approximately 1 size different than other brands. I am a US 11.5 – 12, and normally take a EU 46.
In the Specialized range however, a 45 is perfect. Pays to try them on before you buy tho!

Reccomendation

I highly recommend these shoes. Sure they’re not the cheapest, but they are super stiff, super light, and most important, super comfy!

OVERALL SCORES

Out of 5 thumbs
Quality ImageImageImageImageImage

Performance ImageImageImageImageImage

Value for money ImageImageImageImageImage
(with the value for money, this is based on me buying over seas and saving over 50% off the Aussie RRP)

Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!
BigVin

Return to Bike & Gear Reviews