Postby Trevtassie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Name of product
KMC Z8RB Chain

Where bought and price
11.99 pounds for SJS Cycles

How it is used
Supposedly for heavily used abused commuter bikes

Description
8 Speed Chain with an anti rust coating.

Positives
+ Well, it doesn't rust.

Negatives
- 2200km of touring and it's completely stuffed, like destroyed my new Rohloff Hub Sprocket. In no way durable.

Reccomendation
Do not buy

OVERALL SCORES

Quality Image

Performance Image

Value for money Image

ironhanglider

Re: KMC Z8RB Chain Zinc Plated Anti Rust

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Just in case you thought you had the bad apple. I can report a similar experience with the same chain. I got barely 1000km out of the first and less than 2000km out of the second, before they stretched too far for my chain checker. (I did ride through a lot of bad weather with the first chain). My cassette survived due to keeping an eye on the chain wear.

I suspect when they talk about the ability to withstand abuse, they really mean neglect. For many bikes rust prevention would be a higher priority than wear.

Cheers,

Cameron

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 am

Wish I'd seen these reviews before plonking down the cash on two of these from Wiggle... :(

First ride out, I found that this chain was pretty rough compared to the Shimano HG40 it replaced, even on a brand new cassette. It skips, it's noisy and I've taken it off after only a few hundred km. I tried my hardest to tune it properly, but I could never tune the skipping out of it.

Agree with the above. Don't buy.

Edit: Just noticed that the OP was about the Z8. My post is in reference to the X8 Anti Rust. KMC chains used to be very good. This is a little disappointing.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Ref:https://www.kmcchain.com/en/product/bic ... rb-8-speed
The chain is called a KMC Z8.3 RB now! The 3rd revision may mean it is upgraded? I have just fitted a KMC Z92 (Supplier states for 6 7 8 Speed 1/2 x 3/32 inch 116 links). I guess a Z9 is a 9 speed chain and a Z92 is with 2 design revisions? Works well at a discount price so I ordered 2 more. Chain life of a quality chain has a lot to do with loading (How much force it experiences), sprocket match, alignment (e.g running as straight as possible not or limiting cross-chaining), tension (not over tight or to loose), maintenance (cleaned and quality lub) and the environment (mud salt road grim temperature etc).

P.S. A Rohloff geared hub usually uses a single speed chain(Wippermann Connex Hub Gear Chains) or Gates belt!
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.