Thule Towbar Bike Rack

Rowdyrae

Thule Towbar Bike Rack

Postby Rowdyrae » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm

I have recently bought a Thule Bike Rack for the towbar. Although it fits easy, it swivels side to side. I’m concerned that when you put the bikes on, it will move while driving. What am I doing wrong???

queequeg

Re: Thule Towbar Bike Rack

Postby queequeg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Rowdyrae wrote:I have recently bought a Thule Bike Rack for the towbar. Although it fits easy, it swivels side to side. I’m concerned that when you put the bikes on, it will move while driving. What am I doing wrong???
Is it the rack moving, or is it your tow ball?

When I first got my rack, i had the exact same issue, and after some tinkering we found that the rack was securely clamped to the towball, but the ball was moving freely in the tow bar itself. Turns out it was a dodgy spring washer and was not biting enough, so it would continually pivot.

I replaced the tow ball and spring washer and it has not moved since.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 am

WE wanted to carry a tandem and Thule was not suitable.

We got one of these for aboutm 60% of the Thule price. We got the basic version which is cheaper than the tilt shown below.

Fairly agricultural looking but hey it is Aussie designed and made.

Cheers

Mike

http://www.mtbiking.com.au/gear/gripspo ... tilty-rack
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 am

Rowdyrae wrote:I have recently bought a Thule Bike Rack for the towbar. Although it fits easy, it swivels side to side. I’m concerned that when you put the bikes on, it will move while driving. What am I doing wrong???
Which Thule rack do you have?

Mine has a piece which fits under the tow ball to stop it from swivelling
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Shadow23

Postby Shadow23 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:32 pm

Many thanks fellow cyclists. I replaced the washer on tow ball and it stopped swivelling. Who would have known to get down and watch the ball as you turn the bike rack. Thankyou saved me weeks of trying to figure it out!
Sarah

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 pm

Shadow23 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:32 pm
Many thanks fellow cyclists. I replaced the washer on tow ball and it stopped swivelling. Who would have known to get down and watch the ball as you turn the bike rack. Thankyou saved me weeks of trying to figure it out!
Sarah
Yeah, the first time it happened I had the same worry. Wasn't until I crawled underneath at the suggestion of the tow bar place that I even considered it was the ball moving and not the rack!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi