Protein powder?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Protein powder?

Postby durianrider » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 am

im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?


If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.


Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet
Vegan since 2001.

Image
durianrider
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:43 am

by BNA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

BNA
 

Re: Protein powder?

Postby wardie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?


If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.


Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet


Steve Jobs?
Colnago M10
wardie
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Kirrawee, Sydney, NSW

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm

wardie wrote:
durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.

Steve Jobs?

He didn't know Steve Jobs, so that's fine. :wink:

It's interesting that Ashton tried to copy Job's vegan diet and wound up in hospital.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby brawlo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
Breathing in oxygen has been linked to death in 100% of researched cases.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
Breathing in oxygen will lead to death so don't do it!
brawlo
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Goulburn, NSW

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:05 pm

brawlo wrote:Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
Breathing in oxygen has been linked to death in 100% of researched cases.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
Breathing in oxygen will lead to death so don't do it!

But everyone I know who stopped breathing has died. So, if you breathe, you will die. This is a 100% FACT. If you stop breathing, you will DIE, this is a 100% FACT. From this there is only one conclusion, you're dammed if you do and you're dammed if you don't. :wink:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:07 pm

durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.

Everyone I know who died ate food. Therefore, if you eat food, you will DIE.
Everyone I know who stopped eating food, died. Therefore, if you stop eating food, you will DIE.
You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby simonn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?


If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.


Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet


I've met (virtually, anyway) at least one vegan who doesn't understand the scientific method and the definition of anecdote.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:25 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.


So might as well have that bacon.

durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.


Look the rest of this thread is kind of amusing, but please don't sprout BS like this.

Diet may influence your chance of getting cancer and may affect your ability to recover.

Rejecting proper medical treatment and trying to fix it with food and a prayer is most likely to get you killed. Steve Jobs is pretty much the poster boy for this, and he was one of the richest men in the world with access to the best healthcare possible.

Spontaneous remission does occur (very) occasionally, but whenever I've read about it it just causes me to doubt the initial diagnoses. In any case it's not something you could even remotely expect to happen.

If you don't like your doctor or treatment go find another doctor. Don't go to a homeopath/faith healer/shaman/chiropractor or radically change your diet instead of seeing a qualified, evidence based doctor. If you want to see the "alternative" types as well, go for it. They'll just lighten your wallet (assuming the chiro doesn't break something) and if that makes you "feel better" good for you, but don't preach crap to others.
User avatar
Leiothrix
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Leiothrix wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:You're damned if you eat and you're damned if you stop eating. Either way, you are going to die.


So might as well have that bacon.

Vegetarian here to bacon's pretty much out of the question for me. I do "treat" myself to some cooked rice every now and then and hope it doesn't kill me too quickly :wink:
Leiothrix wrote:Look the rest of this thread is kind of amusing, but please don't sprout BS like this.

Diet may influence your chance of getting cancer and may affect your ability to recover.

There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.


That was pretty much my point.

The "give up chemo and eat some vegies" post bugged me a little bit.
User avatar
Leiothrix
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Image
If I do use protien powder its USN Vanilla Whey Protien http://goo.gl/bM6xBt used to use the IGF-1 http://goo.gl/BxrKjz till I heard about its links to cancer. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562830
Last edited by Wakatuki on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Leiothrix wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:There may be some value in complementary therapies but I would use them to complement conventional medicine.

That was pretty much my point.
The "give up chemo and eat some vegies" post bugged me a little bit.

ha! turns out the reference to "gerson style vegan" is another red herring anyway. According to gerson.org, organically grown fruits and vegetables are used to make fresh raw juice, up to one glass every hour, up to 13 times per day. Raw and cooked solid foods are generously consumed.

Since *someone* doesn't believe in consuming cooked food, it seems anomalous that same person would promote a therapy that encourages the consumption of cooked foods.

I know someone who had a good outcome from a mix of conventional and complementary therapies for prostate cancer. No gerson/vegan/raw/cooked required. :wink:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby defy1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 pm

durianrider wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
durianrider wrote:
Um, not sure if srs. ONLY vegans can get b12 deficient?


If you want to apply that (poor) logic then your earlier statement must surely mean that only people who take protein powder can get cancer? I'll give you points for enthusiasm and dedication to your argument, but thats about as much as you're getting from me.


Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet


You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.
defy1
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 pm

defy1 wrote:
durianrider wrote:Everyone I know who got cancer, ate a diet rich in animal protein.
Everyone I know who refused chemo/radiation and changed their diet (gerson style vegan), cured their cancer.
NEVER met a vegan with Alzheimers but have seen plenty of alzheimers patients when Ive visited nursing homes. When Ive asked out of curiosity, the nurses say they cater for vegans but nobody in the nursing home eats a vegan diet

You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.

Agree +1 million.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:05 pm

defy1 wrote:You're a very very dangerous and deluded person. I really hope you don't get anyone killed because of your stupid advice.


Another +eleventy billion here.
User avatar
Leiothrix
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Davidrnau » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Pedaling wrote:Hi All,
I am looking at buying some protein powder, and with so many on the market, I was wondering;
1. Which protein powder do you use and why?
2. How much powder do you use?
3. How often do you have protein shakes?
Thanks All,
Cheers,

Darrin.


Hi

I like to use this one, Redbak Rapid WPI just started with it last couple of rides, tastes nice (Vanilla), mixed easily with a spoon didn't feel bloated, I just drink it post ride, thats the only time I use a protein powder.

You can read about it here......

http://www.mrsupplement.com.au/redbak-rapid-wpi

David
Davidrnau
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: Protein powder?

Postby Leiothrix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:43 pm

@Davidrnau -- what is this getting back on topic? Geeze :twisted:

I like Dymatize, but having tried Bulk Nutrients I think I'll use that. It doesn't mix as well, but is a whole bunch cheaper.
User avatar
Leiothrix
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: Protein powder?

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Leiothrix wrote:@Davidrnau -- what is this getting back on topic? Geeze :twisted:

I like Dymatize, but having tried Bulk Nutrients I think I'll use that. It doesn't mix as well, but is a whole bunch cheaper.

I have Vital Strength Professional Muscle Advanced Mass Protein but would NOT recommend it. It's expensive, tastes awful, does not dissolve properly and artificial sweeteners. I would not buy it again.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Protein powder?

Postby retrorepco » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 am

brawlo wrote:Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
Breathing in oxygen has been linked to death in 100% of researched cases.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
Breathing in oxygen will lead to death so don't do it!


being born means you must die?
So don't be born if you don't want to die.
retrorepco
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Protein powder?

Postby retrorepco » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 am

brawlo wrote:Everone I know that has died has breathed oxygen.
Breathing in oxygen has been linked to death in 100% of researched cases.
100% of cancer patients have been proven to be breathing oxygen at some point in their lives.
Breathing in oxygen will lead to death so don't do it!


being born means you must die?
So don't be born if you don't want to die.
retrorepco
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Protein powder?

Postby brawlo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am

retrorepco wrote:being born means you must die?


Said every emo kid ever

retrorepco wrote:So don't be born if you don't want to die.


Stupid parents robbed me of my right to choose!

BUUUUUT back on topic, work out what you want in a protein powder. If you're after something for post workout, then look for protein isolate. If you're just after a protein 'filler' then protein concentrate may be more what you're after. From there, you can get just the protein on it's own or mixed with other stuff.

Do you compete at levels where you might be drug tested? Generally speaking, protein on it's own is safe to use for athletes. When it's mixed in with other goodies, the territory can get a bit scary if you delve into the nitty gritty of the ingredients list.

When I started looking, I read plenty of horror stories about protein powders tasting like crap. So my first priority was flavour. Some searching showed Optimum Nutrition's WPI topped many lists for taste, so I ran with that. You may put more weight in other factors, so choose accordingly. They basically all work, and you can readily get anything that's on the market via mail order. The choices are endless!
brawlo
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Goulburn, NSW

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit