ITB

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: ITB

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 am

Na I was advised against going down that track as there is no guarantee that it would in fact do the trick.

I've been doing 4 main stretches for some time now:
a) Hamstring - lying on the floor with my leg up against a door frame. (This method is low impact on the lower back)
b) Hip flexor stretch for back strength (but in my case also gives my extremely tight R ITB a good stretch)
c) Single leg squats - in my case this is designed to get my R quad working the way it should.
e) Pushups from the waist - for my lower back degeneration (L4/L5 & S1) This stretch is to restore the arch or lordosis in my back but also has a +ve effect on my R ITB if done properly especially when my ITB stiffens up.

I've also found hot and cold treatment to help release the ITB. I do this in the shower every night, often after a hard ride. Hot 1st which stiffens it up significantly then cold which rapidly reverses the situation and gives great release.

The single leg squats have had the greatest effect in improving the strength and resilience of my R leg.

I'll almost certainly never beat the problem but the above allow me to live with it and adapt to it. My speed and recovery time have both picked up over recent months.
cavebear2

by BNA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 am

BNA

ITB

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 am

Glad u got it in a management type phase and found what works best for u Cave
Dr_Mutley

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks Dr Mutley,

I should have stated the obvious though, that what works for me won't necessarily work for others as it depends on the relationship of the ITB tendonitis with that individual's muscular skeletal asymmetries.... best to get advice from a decent sports physio before consulting with a surgeon....

Cheers
Perry
cavebear2

Postby BarryTas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 pm

if the foam roller trick does not work....then go the golf ball!!!!!
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

Postby JKohn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I get my wife to go up and down my legs using a rolling pin. That way I can't be soft and not do it properly, and she goes from the hip all the way to the knee and doesn't miss anywhere - hurts but works!
JKohn

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:55 am

I suffered from ITB on and off for a while. Here's what worked for me.
First, on advice from a friend who is an occupational therapist, I stopped riding for 6 weeks. I know, for many this may not be an option but I was at my wits end.
Second, I treated the inflammation locally with Nurofen Gel to allow the swelling of the tendon to reduce and ease friction on the part.
Third, I saw a massage therapist who uses the SLM (Steve Lockhart Method) who beat me up unmercifully once a week for 5 weeks.
When I returned to the bike I moved my cleats to the rearward-most position on the shoe (about 9mm back) and lowered the seat height and moved it rearwards by about the same amount loosely based on reading Steve Hogg in Cyclingnews.

Summary: The cause was most likely position related and the cure was rest, massage and anti-inflammatory gel. To stop recurrence - position altered.

The ITB never returned and I like the cleat position much better.
Hangdog98

Postby Kemp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Riding home from uni today and about 2km's from home I started getting a fairly bad pain down the outside of my right knee. Luckily I could limp home without having to get off the bike but it was pretty debilitating. What are the chances I've got ITB syndrome? I wont be riding in tomorrow to rest the leg. Haven't had any problems like this in the past while cycling. Cycling has actually been my rehabilitation to overcome a previous knee problem. I gave the outside of my leg a good massage (or as I could without a physio) when I got home and have been stretching it out.

I had recently adjusted my fore-aft position about 1cm forward to get me sitting further back on the saddle. Could this have had something to do with it? Seems like a big problem after such a small adjustment.
Kemp

Postby ozjolly » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Kemp wrote:What are the chances I've got ITB syndrome?

Try walking down stairs. If you get pain as you drop the other leg (I think), then it could certainly be ITBS.
ozjolly

Postby Kemp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 pm

I just tried a half squat with support and had pretty severe pain. Better listen to my body and just make a physio appt. Sucks being 20 and having these problems.
Kemp

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 am

Kemp wrote:Riding home from uni today and about 2km's from home I started getting a fairly bad pain down the outside of my right knee. Luckily I could limp home without having to get off the bike but it was pretty debilitating. What are the chances I've got ITB syndrome? I wont be riding in tomorrow to rest the leg. Haven't had any problems like this in the past while cycling. Cycling has actually been my rehabilitation to overcome a previous knee problem. I gave the outside of my leg a good massage (or as I could without a physio) when I got home and have been stretching it out.

I had recently adjusted my fore-aft position about 1cm forward to get me sitting further back on the saddle. Could this have had something to do with it? Seems like a big problem after such a small adjustment.

Actually, it could be. Moving the seat further back without lowering it means you're effectively sitting further away from the pedals. Shame buddy, hope you have a speedy recovery :(
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby vander » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 am

Kemp wrote:I just tried a half squat with support and had pretty severe pain. Better listen to my body and just make a physio appt. Sucks being 20 and having these problems.

Could be worse, could be 20 and told you will never be able to run or play running sport again........
vander

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm

jules21 wrote:that's good advice. fwiw, my physio told me an excessively raised seat height is a common cause of ITB syndrome.

DING DING DING
Most common cause of ITB, QL, TFL, PSOAS and SI joint pain.
I had all of these things as a result of riding on a saddle that was far too high (put there by a "bike fitting expert".
I have since undergone massage and chiro and have dropped my saddle by 15mm.
The issues have all but gone with no negative impact on my cycling.
sumgy

Previous

Return to Cycling Health