The most comfortable saddle…

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
User avatar
greyhoundtom
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Wherever the sun is shining
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm

BruceGray wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:PS - 67 years of age :shock: and currently 96 kg :oops:


Wow Tom. I'd never have thought a guy your wt would like an unpadded saddle.
You have piqued my interest to reconsider.

Though I can appreciate if you have a decent pair of nicks, you don't necessarily need secondary padding in a seat.
I often wonder why no one has made nicks with additional higher density padding under the ischial tuberosities (sit bones).

I suppose the other variable is years of riding - the longer the more likely you have some reasonable adaptive changes to the ischial tuberosities and surrounding tissue.

I don’t have the advantage of that either as I purchased my first road bike at 65 in an effort to try and increase leg strength and improve my balance.

As far as knicks are concerned due to being on a pension my knicks are purchased at either Aldi or Big W and are not what you would call top quality.

Maybe the old adage of “no sense, no feeling” applies to me :lol:

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 16811
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 pm

greyhound, perhaps the reason you don't need quality knicks is related to the way you ride. Often the need to have special seats or top end knicks is related to bike setup, cleat setup, muscle recruitment and flexibility.

Bear in mind that we are all individuals and there is a different solution to each of us.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 16811
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:27 am

BruceGray wrote:I often wonder why no one has made nicks with additional higher density padding under the ischial tuberosities (sit bones)


Why would you want additional higher density padding under the sit bones?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BruceGray
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby BruceGray » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

mikesbytes wrote:
BruceGray wrote:I often wonder why no one has made nicks with additional higher density padding under the ischial tuberosities (sit bones)


Why would you want additional higher density padding under the sit bones?


Gee beats me. Ask Scotto or Sogood why have padding under the sit bones at all.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 16811
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 am

BruceGray wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
BruceGray wrote:I often wonder why no one has made nicks with additional higher density padding under the ischial tuberosities (sit bones)


Why would you want additional higher density padding under the sit bones?


Gee beats me. Ask Scotto or Sogood why have padding under the sit bones at all.


I'm not asking why we have padding under the sit bones, I'm asking why you want additional padding.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
geoffs
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Ashbury

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby geoffs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:32 pm

The SMP saddle is the way to go. I've done a few 200km rides on the composite and it is by far the most comfortable saddle i've used. I don't thing they make the glider any more though. The Lite 209 is the most popular although larger guys go for the stratos which is a smidge wider.
The trick is with SMP saddles is the set-up. They should point down by about 5 degrees when you lay a steel rule length ways and measure with a floating or electronic protractor

User avatar
damhooligan
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: melbourne
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby damhooligan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The idea is a list of saddles that our members here find comfortable - to help other members who are having trouble locating the perfect saddle.
Interesting would be the saddle brand / model / year (if known) / for what type or style of riding / distances travelled.
(and optionally, if it solved health issues or provided pain relief)

So, what is your most comfortable saddle?


Just to quote the original post
Wouldn't it be a good idea , rather then just posting randomly who likes what to actually make a list ?

I am no good in making these things, but mayby someone who is good at it could make one ??
Al we need is a top ten with the most popular saddles...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

User avatar
Mustang
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Mustang » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:12 pm

damhooligan wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:The idea is a list of saddles that our members here find comfortable - to help other members who are having trouble locating the perfect saddle.
Interesting would be the saddle brand / model / year (if known) / for what type or style of riding / distances travelled.
(and optionally, if it solved health issues or provided pain relief)

So, what is your most comfortable saddle?


Just to quote the original post
Wouldn't it be a good idea , rather then just posting randomly who likes what to actually make a list ?

I am no good in making these things, but mayby someone who is good at it could make one ??
Al we need is a top ten with the most popular saddles...

+1
Image

Nobody
Posts: 7632
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Nobody » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 pm

damhooligan wrote:All we need is a top ten with the most popular saddles...

But the most popular isn't necessarily the best. The title says "The most comfortable saddle…".
It is always going to be subjective, but I think the three most likely to be the most comfortable are:

Selle SMP
Brooks
Selle Anatomica

Although I own 2 Brooks saddles, from what I've read Selle Anatomica are likely to be the most comfortable. However I've read that some have durability issues with them. Not likely to be popular either as they are also expensive.

Selle SMP have many followers and at least a few detractors. Personally I value Cavebear2's opinion on this as he has tried both extensively and does more Kms on this forum than anyone (last time I looked). He wrote earlier in this thread:
cavebear2 wrote:Update
I saw my old post on page 1 of this thread and cringed! Selle SMP, fooie! (I've now edited the old post)

I now have a Brooks Swallow Titanium saddle on my CF road bike. (I paid AUD $290 from Wiggle) and a Brooks Swift Titanium saddle on my Alu/CF road bike. (I paid AUD $226 also from Wiggle)

These are both by far the most comfortable saddles that I have ridden on. (I have a B17 standard on my Touring bike) I know this of course, because I never actually think about the saddle on a 400 or 600 km ride. Provided I use enough chamois cream and look after basic hygiene, (washing etc.) I don't think I'll ever have another saddle sore as I did with the SMP's which have that nasty pair of ridges which just didn't suit my sit bones.

Both of these saddles are quite nice and springy which can vary, I'm told with the individual saddle. Anyway, the springy but firm characteristic all adds up to a very comfortable ride and significantly changes the feel of both bikes. I even have a strange feeling of 'much better control' on the bikes, hard to describe really.

It is possible that you could find your ideal saddle that isn't a Brooks, Anatomica or SMP if you try enough of them. But for those who are short on time and money, then a Brooks would probably be the best educated guess.
Last edited by Nobody on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
damhooligan
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: melbourne
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby damhooligan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Nobody wrote:
damhooligan wrote:All we need is a top ten with the most popular saddles...

But the most popular isn't necessarily the best. The title says "The most comfortable saddle…".
It is always going to be subjective, but I think the three most likely to be the best are:


No i do mean popular...
If a lot of people find a specific brand/model comfortable, there is a reason for this...
If brooks is no good, then nobody would buy them..., lots of people by them, mayby there is a reason for that...
saddles are build for comfort and marketing plays subjectifly a fairly small roll in this..

These are suggestions, and people have to make up their own mind and because it is subjective, rather then having a top three, have a top ten, or more ...
If 1 saddle is comfy for me , but i am the only one, no point mentioning it here to suggesting it for others...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

User avatar
greyhoundtom
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Wherever the sun is shining
Contact:

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:23 pm

This appears an interesting design, anyone had a chance to try one out?
Cost $99 + postage
Image

This is the sales pitch from Cell :wink:
Why YOU'll Love This Saddle:
State-of-the-Art design more efficient than thin padding found on most racing saddles
The Spyder maximizes comfort and performance -- and proves that a saddle can be comfortable without any padding
Like a padded saddle, the web base of the SPYDER saddle flexes and conforms to the sit-bone, but that's where their similarities end.
Unique web pattern provides much better shock-absorbing flex so the saddle, not you, absorbs more of the bump

Nobody
Posts: 7632
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Interesting. At least it should be cooler. Personally I'd rather have a saddle that lasts longer than a year.
From FAQ:
"Tioga especially urge users to replace it with another SPYDER saddle once a year."

130mm wide (or is that 130mm narrow?)
135g
190lb (86.4Kg) weight limit.
Road only.

Made of "...proprietary blend of polyamide, reinforcing fiber and chemical additives". So reinforced plastic?
Image
http://www.tiogausa.com/spyder-twintail.html

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 4594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Ok I've ridden 3.45k on my selle smp glider so far. :oops:

Even at that distance it's quite different to sit on. You dont sit on the middle bit :shock: at all.. entirely on the bones of your bum. It's also smaller in person than I was expecting. Still the shop fitted her up as per instructions and did a bit of a bike fit too so we'll see how it goes.

User avatar
open roader
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby open roader » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I sit on a Glider too.

I'd tried Toupe and Toupe Gel and a few other 'minimalist' saddles so I was no stranger to hard saddles but the SMP Glider did indeed take me by surprise even after riding on the cheaper SMP strike model immediately prior.

Hang in there Comedian, the sit bone shock was a non issue for me after a few hours or couple of hundred km after my pins had time to harden up in a slightly different spot. I love my Glider saddle, it's the most important part on my bike...........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

User avatar
Spork!
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Spork! » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:This appears an interesting design, anyone had a chance to try one out?
Cost $99 + postage
Image


Could pass wind without having to stand up with one of those. Not so easy on my B17 narrow.

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 4594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:57 pm

open roader wrote:I sit on a Glider too.

I'd tried Toupe and Toupe Gel and a few other 'minimalist' saddles so I was no stranger to hard saddles but the SMP Glider did indeed take me by surprise even after riding on the cheaper SMP strike model immediately prior.

Hang in there Comedian, the sit bone shock was a non issue for me after a few hours or couple of hundred km after my pins had time to harden up in a slightly different spot. I love my Glider saddle, it's the most important part on my bike...........

Already I've been very surprised by the effectiveness of it at relieving the pressure on that area. It basically removes it completely. :shock: :)

User avatar
open roader
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby open roader » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Comedian wrote:It basically removes it completely. :shock: :)


Yes. :mrgreen:

Thank goodness for small (but important) mercies.......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Librarygirl
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Librarygirl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 am

I just recently bought a Selle Italia Diva Gel ladies saddle (with cutout). Soooo good compared to the others I've tried on the road bike - came with a WTB saddle which caused constant chafing on the perineal area, and then a Fizik Vitesse which was equally uncomfortable. I'd spend most of my rides lifting myself off the saddle and squirming because it was so painful. This one is bliss! No problems at all! :D :D

kunama
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby kunama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Comedian wrote:
open roader wrote:I sit on a Glider too.

I'd tried Toupe and Toupe Gel and a few other 'minimalist' saddles so I was no stranger to hard saddles but the SMP Glider did indeed take me by surprise even after riding on the cheaper SMP strike model immediately prior.

Hang in there Comedian, the sit bone shock was a non issue for me after a few hours or couple of hundred km after my pins had time to harden up in a slightly different spot. I love my Glider saddle, it's the most important part on my bike...........

Already I've been very surprised by the effectiveness of it at relieving the pressure on that area. It basically removes it completely. :shock: :)


Since switching to the SMP Glider I have not once felt the numbness/tingling that plagued me with almost every other saddle. I have ordered a second one to keep as a spare for the future.
Image

User avatar
notwal
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby notwal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

kunama wrote:
Comedian wrote:
open roader wrote:I sit on a Glider too.

I'd tried Toupe and Toupe Gel and a few other 'minimalist' saddles so I was no stranger to hard saddles but the SMP Glider did indeed take me by surprise even after riding on the cheaper SMP strike model immediately prior.

Hang in there Comedian, the sit bone shock was a non issue for me after a few hours or couple of hundred km after my pins had time to harden up in a slightly different spot. I love my Glider saddle, it's the most important part on my bike...........

Already I've been very surprised by the effectiveness of it at relieving the pressure on that area. It basically removes it completely. :shock: :)


Since switching to the SMP Glider I have not once felt the numbness/tingling that plagued me with almost every other saddle. I have ordered a second one to keep as a spare for the future.
Image


saddle: Ten to twenty kilometres is fine. Longer than that and and I feel this numbness. I'm afraid I've developed erectile dysfunction.
judged, insulted, gone

User avatar
novice
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:03 pm
Location: Longford, TAS

The most comfortable saddle…

Postby novice » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm

saddle: Ten to twenty kilometres is fine. Longer than that and and I feel this numbness. I'm afraid I've developed erectile dysfunction


What makes you sure of this? Do you have symptoms?
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.
Image

Nobody
Posts: 7632
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:05 am


User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 4594
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I just spent 5 hours on the glider grinding up hills and I did have a few shuffles but I'd say it was comfy. It is most excellent at moving the weight off where it shouldn't be.

Return to “Cycling Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users