The most comfortable saddle…

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
MountGower

Re: The most comfortable saddle…

Postby MountGower » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 am

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I can not see one quoted width. 5 pages of useless information.

For those interested, the Rolls is 148mm and the Regal is 150mm. The Fizik Gobi is an arse wedge.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:The slipping about will become a non issue in a few more hours riding. The break in period is as long or short as that mythical piece of string. For me it was pretty much straight away but I did give mine a good seeing to with Proofide before my first ride.
Thanks MB. I haven't treated mine with anything yet. After only about 60km on it I've noticed that I'm not slipping as much and my sit bones seem to be auto-locating to the spot they're meant to be.

I think I'll put some Proofide in my next Wiggle order...

Summer's coming, and I have to park outside at work (OH&S :roll: ), will Proofide protect it in direct sunlight?
Nobody wrote:If you don't want the "piece of string" answer, then about 500+ Km for most people. I hear it is less if you're heavy and more if you're light. Depends on the saddle too as some have thicker leather than others in the Brooks range. As Shaun said, Proofide helps. Maybe try winding the tension adjuster off a bit if you can't wait. It might help.
Cheers Nobody. I'm heavy, and do about 200km per week, so hopefully it'll be good within a few weeks...

The tension adjuster looks like it's already as loose as it can be, but I haven't touched it so don't know for sure. I'd rather not adjust anything until it's broken in.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Just tried my new brooks saddle earlier today.
Done nearly 60km.

Feels completely different, I can't say 100% comfy.
But in general not bad.

The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:21 pm

damhooligan wrote:Just tried my new brooks saddle earlier today.
Done nearly 60km.

Feels completely different, I can't say 100% comfy.
But in general not bad.
Brooks saddles need to be up at the nose higher than normal saddles. I suggest you try it level or close to level. See how it goes. As Pete says, your sit bones are supposed to be sitting on the flat part of the saddle. Things will also change as it breaks in. Tried Proofide yet?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:41 pm

MountGower wrote:The Fizik Gobi is an arse wedge.
Meaning too narrow for you?

I've got one (XM) on my commuter and find it's rather firm and not as comfy as the Nisene on my dually, but I actually prefer the slightly narrower profile of both of them. I get far fewer bruises now on my inner thigh from riding trail sections where I need to get off the back of the saddle. I was quite surprised by the difference a few mm in width makes. Used to have an Aliante which was very nice to sit on - except for the bruises... every trail ride :roll:

I wish they still made the Nisene. It's a brick weight-wise, but nice to ride on. The Gobi I've gotten used to (read: compressed the nerve endings near my sit bones :lol: )

I'd say I have narrower hips than you.

Edit: Gobi XM is 129mm wide and the Nisene is 132.5mm.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:15 am

MountGower wrote:Forgive me if I am wrong, but I can not see one quoted width. 5 pages of useless information.

For those interested, the Rolls is 148mm and the Regal is 150mm. The Fizik Gobi is an arse wedge.
I have not scoured through the 5 pages, but after the first page of brooks lovefest ... I gather the rest of the 4 pages are the same?

I am a fan of the Rolls, and Regal. There is a reason why they have been around for so long AND are still used in the professional ranks.

I have two Brooks myself, but given how comfortable the Rolls, and Regal are, with superior looks (IMHO), I cannot find any reason for taking the weight penalty and stains on my light colored shorts by going with Brooks.

It is also my opinion that proper saddle positioning, and fitting plays a greater role than the saddle itself in terms of overall comfort.

I see so many people riding with the nose tilted down far, and wonder how they can actually ride like that.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:00 am

thomas_cho wrote:I have two Brooks myself, but given how comfortable the Rolls, and Regal are, with superior looks (IMHO), I cannot find any reason for taking the weight penalty and stains on my light colored shorts by going with Brooks.
Used to commute on a Rolls for many years. They are comfy but sent me numb.

As to the staining, I haven't found this a long term problem on my saddles. Maybe this has something to do with changing to Snoseal which is a harder formula than Proofide.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm

MountGower wrote:Forgive me if I am wrong, but I can not see one quoted width. 5 pages of useless information.

Of course you are both wrong and lazy. eg. If you looked at my links re the Swallow & Swift you would find the weights, widths and lengths quoted on Wiggle. :roll:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:43 am

cavebear2 wrote:Of course you are both wrong and lazy.
You must have been the author of the book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". :P

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 am

Mod Says... ok... and back to the topic.. and nice because it would be a shame to turn this thread into a primary school playground.
Cycling is in my BNA

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:16 pm

Ok I went to the Selle Italia Gel Flite Pro and don't seem to run into too many issues but I only do about 50-60 K's at a hit. What I want to know is what sort of ireeversible damage have guys done with ill fitting saddles?? Words like that scare the 5hit out of me and how do I know I'm not doing any damage?? I get a dull ache in the butt but have to get up and wriggle maybe every 15 minutes...?

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 pm

damhooligan wrote:i know brooks scores high in the comfort zone, but never bought one because of their looks.
But i saw on wggle they have a limited edition in blue...
like that one, but they don't ship to australia.

I also like this one, but i doubt i can buy this one.
You'd have to wear cowboy boots with that. And you'd have to ride an Orbea.
judged, insulted, gone

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 pm

notwal wrote:
damhooligan wrote:i know brooks scores high in the comfort zone, but never bought one because of their looks.

why orbea?
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:39 am

slowflow wrote:Any chance of a photo for those of us without an imagination
Sorry I have taken so long. Only recently took any pics. As you can see, it's not rocket science. My first attempt was more complex and used way too much leather. Lacky bands and a strip of skin is fine. The skin tongue you see is twice as long and folded. When I think it needs it, I turn it over. I also occassionally change the fold position a little so that the whole tongue thing shifts a bit. Eventually I put on a fresh one and toss the old one in the washing machine.

Image Image
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:50 am

damhooligan wrote:
notwal wrote:

why orbea?
Spanish?
judged, insulted, gone

weemac

Postby weemac » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am

As one who has some grief with most saddles I fitted a B17 Imperial. For me it feels good straight away!

emac.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:15 am

Selle put the repro Turbo out last year with a rubbish vinyl cover.

However, this year, the Turbo is back with leather (known as the "Turbo 1980" - brown or black, can pre-order it at Wiggle. Pretty reasonable at $60 and great for us retro-chumps-who-aren't-brooks-fans.

http://www.this link is broken/au/selle-italia ... 80-saddle/

So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm

It may not look like it, but for me it is one of the most confortable saddles :

SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

BruceGray

Postby BruceGray » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:40 pm

damhooligan wrote:It may not look like it, but for me it is one of the most confortable saddles :
Could I suggest that when people post their favorite saddle, they post their age, wt, and hip width....if sensitive about it, how about <>35yo, <>85kg, sit bone width in cm.

As much as I'd like an unpadded carbon saddle, I think my >85kg and wider hips wouldn't approve. though happy to be wrong.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 pm

BruceGray wrote:
damhooligan wrote:It may not look like it, but for me it is one of the most confortable saddles :
Could I suggest that when people post their favorite saddle, they post their age, wt, and hip width....if sensitive about it, how about <>35yo, <>85kg, sit bone width in cm.

As much as I'd like an unpadded carbon saddle, I think my >85kg and wider hips wouldn't approve. though happy to be wrong.
Sure , no dramas.

If it helps, I am 34 yo and weigh around 75kg. (it varies a bit.)
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

This saddle came with my new Viner,LBS offered a change after two weeks if unsuitable, seems fine, I'am 60kg, 165 cm, 59yo.

Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I'm really thinking of giving one of these a go. The more I ride the more tender I get down there :shock:

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/glider

BruceGray

Postby BruceGray » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm really thinking of giving one of these a go. The more I ride the more tender I get down there :shock:
been thinking of the same....presume it is the right model for my 51yo buttocks and 91kg -> 84kg....
will give it a go when I get the wt down a bit more.

though these are so much bling-ier.
http://www.smpselle.com/smp4bike/en/full-carbon

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I know I’ve posted it before but my CF saddle for $60 is extremely comfortable. Yes it’s firm and slippery but then so is a Brooks leather saddle until the mythical breaking in occurs.

Sure a Brooks saddle with the half a bricks worth of steel springs underneath is more comfortable than a lot of other saddles, but it’s surprising just how much flex the CF rails under the CF saddle provide to soften the ride.

Nor are there any hassles with having to rub a leather conditioner on it every week, nor having to worry about it getting wet three days in a row and then having it dry to the consistency of a rock until you rub in some more conditioner.

CF saddle = BLING, and boy do I need Bling to try and make up for all my other deficiencies :mrgreen:

PS - 67 years of age :shock: and currently 96 kg :oops:

Cheers,
Tom

BruceGray

Postby BruceGray » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:PS - 67 years of age :shock: and currently 96 kg :oops:
Wow Tom. I'd never have thought a guy your wt would like an unpadded saddle.
You have piqued my interest to reconsider.

Though I can appreciate if you have a decent pair of nicks, you don't necessarily need secondary padding in a seat.
I often wonder why no one has made nicks with additional higher density padding under the ischial tuberosities (sit bones).

I suppose the other variable is years of riding - the longer the more likely you have some reasonable adaptive changes to the ischial tuberosities and surrounding tissue.