Milo

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Milo

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Ok so I'm pretty paranoid about calories, I aim to get rid of the last 15kg of fat this year... I really only need to go 10kg, but I like to exceed my expectations!

Is a glass of milk with 3 teaspoons of Milo the end of the world? I don't consume a lot of calcium and it's about 250ml of milk...

Thoughts?
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

by BNA » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

BNA
 

Re: Milo

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

lol (AT) fellow Milo freak! :mrgreen:
Really, if you need to ask...then you probably already know the answer! :(
Maybe you could wean yourself off it, reducing the number of teaspoons of Milo and using low or no-fat milk.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Milo

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Oh i use low fat milk... Any better now I clarified that?

I got over my nutella addiction!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Milo

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Save it for immediately after a decent ride. At least then it'll go to replenishing glycogen (carbohydrates stored in the muscles and liver), rather than fat.
- Dave
TheSkyMovesSideways
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Milo

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok so I can justify having it after my commute or after my lunch running session.. I gave up nutella, and the Milo at work is free... If I notice any massive weight gains I'll know it's the Milo
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Milo

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:04 pm

250ml glass of low fat milk and 3 heaped tea spoons of milo (15gr) is about 178 Kcals...so about 10% of your total daily needs at 1600 Kcals a day (plus what ever exercise you do).
Really depends on what total amount of Kcals you are aiming for per day.Orphic said she was trying to do 1200 Kcals per day...but wasn't finding that very easy.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14598
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Milo

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

You don't need to drop 15kg. Enjoy the Milo :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26210
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Milo

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You don't need to drop 15kg. Enjoy the Milo :D

Dont tell me what I do or don't need to do!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Milo

Postby vince » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 pm

you tell him missy.!!!!.................uh-oh i just told you what to do,
missy can i suggest you disregard this post :D
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"
User avatar
vince
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Re: Milo

Postby brauluver » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm

A little OT, but I've always fantasised about Milo with Caffeine in it.
That would be awesome.
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Milo

Postby Redbull » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:21 pm

+1 hmmm......caffeinated

What about Milo that actually dissolves properly. I know some people like the scum but not me :?
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
User avatar
Redbull
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Rockingham

Re: Milo

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 pm

When I need a quick hit, I mix Milo, protein powder and milk
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14927
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Milo

Postby drubie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Redbull wrote:+1 hmmm......caffeinated

What about Milo that actually dissolves properly. I know some people like the scum but not me :?


It's called Quik. And it's dreadful sugary stuff meant for children.

Have you tried Green Tea Missy? It's an OK alternative to the normal tea and coffee but most workplaces won't supply it for free. I suspect yours will cut off the free Milo once they realise how much it's costing them in milk :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
User avatar
drubie
 
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am
Location: New England

Re: Milo

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:28 pm

I think we should go soft on the fairer sex & dairy products. For most, it's the sole source of calcium, and always the first to go when calories are mentioned.

Keep up the calcium!
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
User avatar
ValleyForge
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Milo

Postby Bruce » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:52 pm

brauluver wrote:A little OT, but I've always fantasised about Milo with Caffeine in it.
That would be awesome.

mmm easy, put to taste amount of coffee in with the milo real nice when milk is extra cold
Orbea Euskaltel ;Dura-Ace,Ultegra
Orbea Erandio-Hybrid
Catlike helmet
Bruce
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Perth- West Australia-NOR

Re: Milo

Postby GraemeK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

My answer is to leave out the milk and just eat the Milo off a spoon --- Yummmmmm Milo
GraemeK
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: Milo

Postby Missy24 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:26 pm

drubie wrote:
Redbull wrote:+1 hmmm......caffeinated

What about Milo that actually dissolves properly. I know some people like the scum but not me :?


It's called Quik. And it's dreadful sugary stuff meant for children.

Have you tried Green Tea Missy? It's an OK alternative to the normal tea and coffee but most workplaces won't supply it for free. I suspect yours will cut off the free Milo once they realise how much it's costing them in milk :lol:

My work place is pretty nice.. Got to leave early today!! We also have endless supply of tea from T2... I've tried green tea, taste nothing like Milo
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Milo

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Green Tea = Yucky....
...but if loosing weight is wanted then read this about the positive sides of drinking GT.
http://www.newscentre.bham.ac.uk/press/ ... ntea.shtml
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14598
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Milo

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:00 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Green Tea = Yucky....

Try drinking better quality green tea, and brewing it properly. Hint: If you're using boiling water or tea bought from a supermarket, you're doing it wrong. :wink:
- Dave
TheSkyMovesSideways
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Milo

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:05 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Green Tea = Yucky....

Try drinking better quality green tea, and brewing it properly. Hint: If you're using boiling water or tea bought from a supermarket, you're doing it wrong. :wink:

I can't stomach any tea...but I would try the extract in a pill.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14598
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Milo

Postby munga » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 am

mmm, i have a 500ml glass of milo (3 teaspoons, stir, then in the freezer for 15mins) about 3-5 times a week :D

Edit: I have a 3-5lt/wk milk habit. :shock:
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6749
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Milo

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:55 am

Redbull wrote:
What about Milo that actually dissolves properly. I know some people like the scum but not me :?


Dissolve the Milo with a splash of hot water before you put the milk in. Can't believe there is now 21 posts here relating to Milo! :o
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Milo

Postby master6 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:34 pm

I think my mother reared me on milo. I drank it every time I had a hot drink at home ,untill I was told by a Cardiologist that I had a coronary artery 90% blocked. And High cholesterol.
I changed to Diet coke and a cap full of rum. One can per day. I deleted the rum 3 years ago. Now it is tea, diet coke, or water/gatorade home mixed. And coffee when we ride to the coffee shop.
Before you get into me about the coke, I must tell you that my cardiologist, an avid cyclist, thinks that if one has to drink coke, better to drink the traditional sugared stuff rather than the diet variety.
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Milo

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:16 pm

master6 wrote:I think my mother reared me on milo. I drank it every time I had a hot drink at home ,untill I was told by a Cardiologist that I had a coronary artery 90% blocked. And High cholesterol.

Milo is possibly useful if you've got a sickly child or elderly person who needs to put on weight and it encourages them to drink milk.

But from a nutritional point of view, it's not good stuff. It's 70% carbohydrate, 50% of milo is sugar (the least good carbohydrate) - so it's going to give you one helluva a blood glucose spike. It's also high in saturated fats - just the stuff that clogs up arteries and gives high cholesterol readings.

If you want to lose weight, giving up the milo for something healthier would be a good move. Something less refined, and less processed, like water !

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Milo

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:56 pm

wombatK wrote:
master6 wrote:I think my mother reared me on milo. I drank it every time I had a hot drink at home ,untill I was told by a Cardiologist that I had a coronary artery 90% blocked. And High cholesterol.

Milo is possibly useful if you've got a sickly child or elderly person who needs to put on weight and it encourages them to drink milk.

But from a nutritional point of view, it's not good stuff. It's 70% carbohydrate, 50% of milo is sugar (the least good carbohydrate) - so it's going to give you one helluva a blood glucose spike. It's also high in saturated fats - just the stuff that clogs up arteries and gives high cholesterol readings.

If you want to lose weight, giving up the milo for something healthier would be a good move. Something less refined, and less processed, like water !

Cheers


Ok please explain....
Milo has a GI of 55 (low) and a GL of 8.8 (low).
When mixed in full fat milk it has a GI of 36 (low) and a GL of 9.36 (low).
So where is the "helluva a blood glucose spike" going to come from?.

But I do agree that if you want to lose weight then skip it...just drink the milk.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14598
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Next

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit