Washing clothes

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
hannos

Washing clothes

Postby hannos » Tue May 04, 2010 9:29 am

Hi all, after a bit of advice if possible.

My jerseys are odourless after going through the washing machine and hanging out to dry. However, once I start to perspire in them they start to strongly smell of sweat. I wash them after each ride but it doesn't seem to help.
Do any of you have any magic rememdies to get rid of the smell from the shirt? Or am I going to need to buy new jerseys?
2010 BMC SLC01

matth

Re: Washing clothes

Postby matth » Tue May 04, 2010 10:32 am

I have not experienced this but from the days of babies / young kids, nappisan works a treat for odours. I would just be careful to foloow the instructions for delicate materials.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

matth wrote:I have not experienced this but from the days of babies / young kids, nappisan works a treat for odours. I would just be careful to foloow the instructions for delicate materials.
+1 on nappisan. Soak them overnight, then machine wash.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 am

awesome thanks. The jerseys are in otherwise good condition.
2010 BMC SLC01

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am

A capful of Dettol in the washing machine will kill anything living in them, if that's what you're worried about.

Otherwise, Palmolive Gold works wonders. :D

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Tue May 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I have a couple of set of cloths and when I get a enough of a load to wash I use wool wash with eucalyptus (Spelling) to was them all and hang them up out of sunlight. :mrgreen:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

wombatK wrote:
matth wrote:I have not experienced this but from the days of babies / young kids, nappisan works a treat for odours. I would just be careful to foloow the instructions for delicate materials.
+1 on nappisan. Soak them overnight, then machine wash.
Hi

Another fan of Nappisan but I tend to just add it to the wash. To slack to do the soaking thing.

Andrew

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun May 09, 2010 6:33 pm

napisan, weak bleach FTW

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 am

Well i've soaked my clothes and backpack in nappy-san. We'll see hwo it goes tomorrow morning.
2010 BMC SLC01

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:59 am

Try some Euclayptus flavoured wool wash. Excellent for all nicks and jerseys (& dirty socks)

GrumpySmurf

Postby GrumpySmurf » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 pm

I find that adding Cuddles fabric softener helps - but then, washing cycle clothing is the only time I every set foot in the laundry.

Whilst on the subject, does anyone have any ideas about washing old banana stains from white coloured jerysey?

hotwheels

Postby hotwheels » Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm

my girlfriend could no longer stand the smell of my socks each night after a hard days work so she bought a product made by dettol called "sanitising laundry rinse".It is an anti-bacterial anti-fungal product which also contains eucalyptus oil and boy did it work a treat. would be worth trying i'd say,purchased at coles and not sure who else stocks it.goodluck

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 pm

maybe its also the synthetic fabric of the jersey. I notice my cotton T shirt worn under the jersey doesn't stink as much as the fetid odour coming from el cheapo ebay jersey it is worn under, although well drenched in sweat.

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 am

hannos wrote:Hi all, after a bit of advice if possible.

My jerseys are odourless after going through the washing machine and hanging out to dry. However, once I start to perspire in them they start to strongly smell of sweat. I wash them after each ride but it doesn't seem to help.
Do any of you have any magic rememdies to get rid of the smell from the shirt? Or am I going to need to buy new jerseys?
start wearing wool http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing ... ed_is_wool
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 am

hannos wrote:Well i've soaked my clothes and backpack in nappy-san. We'll see hwo it goes tomorrow morning.
So how did it go...I wanna know :D

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 am

Pax wrote:
hannos wrote:Well i've soaked my clothes and backpack in nappy-san. We'll see hwo it goes tomorrow morning.
So how did it go...I wanna know :D

Mixed results. The jersey I wear the most is starting to smell a bit again. This seems to indicate the bacteria (main cause of the smell) wasn't killed by the napi-san product I used. Going to look for the dettol product mentioned earlier.

Backpack straps also soak a bit of sweat up so they'll need to be treated again as well.

It's a bit annoying as I wash my jersey when I get to work each day I ride albeit not with laundry powder.

I also want to get one of these to help keep me cool on the commute.
2010 BMC SLC01

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 pm

I just hang them up in the sun... seems to kill off any nasties. Also bleaches out any tomato stains (found that out with a tomato sauce accident with one of the 'many')
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

RepcoMonaco

Postby RepcoMonaco » Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm

hannos wrote: Backpack straps also soak a bit of sweat up so they'll need to be treated again as well.
I'm finding that riding with a backpack makes jerseys smell. If it worries you - get pannier bags.

Drying a jersey in the sun while at work also helps though it may be bad for the fabric.