Broken collarbone and associated shoulder trauma

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Broken collarbone and associated shoulder trauma

Postby zues » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks Jules21. Do you still have pain from it all has that all gone :?:
zues

by BNA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm

BNA

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 pm

pretty much pain free. after surgery, you'll get a lot of mild pain from scar tissue but that dissipates over time. that pain doesn't compare to dislocating it of course.
jules21

Postby Spork! » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Did a number on my collarbone on my buck's night a week before our wedding. Surgeon said he preferred not to operate on shoulders as they often get infected, but mine was a displaced fracture so it needed pinning. Waited another very uncomfortable 2 days until the stream of critically injured MVA's allowed some theater time. What a relief it was to get it pinned - was getting better by the day - until the infection set in.
Got married on the Saturday, by Monday felt like death. Went to the hospital every day that week telling them it wasn't right. I was septic, between that and the narcotic analgesia I could hardly feel my feet on the ground when I walked. On Thursday they finally realised the swelling was so bad that the end of one of the pins was no longer visible. Back into hospital, IV antibiotics and second surgery on Monday.
From there all went pretty well. Had the remaining pin out about 5-6 weeks later. Some very intensive physio, and I was back at work. Within a few months I had "full" range of movement (will never get %100 back, but only notice the [slightly] reduced ROM when doing some stretching exercises) and within 18 months had most or all of my strength back in that shoulder / arm.
My wife has banned me from quad bikes...

I guess you need to give it some time for the bones to knit, then go all out with flexibility / ROM excercises. As soon as you get good / full ROM, start the strength exercises. For me that was just working with my wife's dumbells while sitting on the couch watching telly. Light weights and to begin with could only do 10-20 reps. Was soon doing several hundred reps.
Busted shoulders are a b***ard, but you will get better.
Spork!

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm glad to say jules that it appears my physio is not one of "them". I was in to see him for my monthly torture session on Saturday, and he was telling me about a couple of guys who'd come in with football injuries to the shoulder and were beyond his help. They were despatched to see surgeons.

Mine's coming good, slowly. Now 14 months post-op. Riding is good - no issues there with strength. I haven;t been doing nearly enough swimming the last few months due to work pressures, but got a session in Friday and was able to do 8-900m no problems pretty much non-stop in the 25m lap pool.

I'm as slow as a wet week of course after so much time out of the water, but the highlight was being able to do at least 1 lap in 4 freestyle with no impingement. The only downside is my breathing action isn't quite the same on each side due to restricted range of movement with the left shoulder. I believe that will come with time in the water.

Swimming - breaststroke in paricular - is my surgeon's favourite remedial exercise. I'm supposed to do 20 minutes 3 times a week.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04 pm

good to hear TG. the downside of surgery is a long recovery period. i was given one of those elastic cords to pull on for strengthening. i imagine swimming is also good, although i am hopeless at it.

i've never broken a bone, but i can assure you guys ligament tears are also a major PITA.
jules21

Postby elStado » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Add me to the club, hopefully wont need surgery but from what the doc told me last night I prob will.

Pretty devastating as I cant do anything or get anywhere with a busted shoulder. Cant even open a beer!
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby Oxford » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:55 pm

just read the Moron Motorists thread, what a bummer. as I said there, see a lawyer to make sure you have every base covered.

think about the surgery and the pinning of the collarbone, most people I know who have had their clavicle pinned have usually had the metal removed later on. last time I broke my collarbone (2nd time same one) it was into about 8 pieces that the surgeon could see on the Xray. still remember the comment he wrote to a colleague on the side "Xxxx, do you think this is reconstructable?" :lol: I was spared surgery as the pieces were two small to collect an join.

good luck with it and do not be surprised if it takes a while to recover, the break will heal quickly, but the internal recovery of soft tissue can take a lot longer, 2 years on and my shoulder is still not quite right, have had to restart physio exercises to kick start further recovery.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Previous

Return to Cycling Health