Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Back in Scotland I used to get 'personalised' sports vitamin packs from a specialist company which was to help boost my immune system, reduce fatigue from training etc and seemed to cut the winter ilnesses I used to get by a fair amount.
Given I currently seem to be suffering similar recurring colds etc over here and that Scottish company have unfortunately moved on - does anyone know of or use a similar vitamin supplier in Sydney?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

by BNA » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:29 pm

BNA
 

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:29 pm

You could try a compounding pharmacist. I don't imagine it would be that cheap, but it would be a walk-up start. There's one at Kentwell Rd Allambie Heights. I imagine there would be lots of others around Sydney.

You could also give Blackmores a call. While they perhaps wouldn't be in a position to help directly (they're basically a packaging and quality control house using contract manufacturers - they don't manufacture themselves) they should be able to give you some leads. They sell to naturopaths in bulk, perhaps one would be able to package together what you need.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look there as a start.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby RedPanda » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi there - not sure if this would be of any use/interest, but have you ever done a hair tissue analysis? Based on results you get personalised supplements etc. We use InterClinical Laboratories, who I believe are in NSW. The initial part is expensive, but the supps are decently priced.
Cheers.
P
RedPanda
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Mt Waverley, Vic

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby scotto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:35 am

FYI. supplemental vitamins are only beneficial where diet is lacking.
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:59 pm

RedPanda wrote:Hi there - not sure if this would be of any use/interest, but have you ever done a hair tissue analysis? Based on results you get personalised supplements etc. We use InterClinical Laboratories, who I believe are in NSW. The initial part is expensive, but the supps are decently priced.
Cheers.
P

No, I wasn't aware that was available - unless you were a suspected drug runner :D
Thanks, I'll check that out too.

scotto wrote:FYI. supplemental vitamins are only beneficial where diet is lacking.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate that but given my wife is a healthy eater/cook and we do eat healthily I'm concluding that maybe something is missing.
It could just be my kids are bringing home a different strain of lurgy from school every week but I'd like to at least ensure my immune system is at it's best.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:19 pm

scotto wrote:FYI. supplemental vitamins are only beneficial where diet is lacking.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate that but given my wife is a healthy eater/cook and we do eat healthily I'm concluding that maybe something is missing.
It could just be my kids are bringing home a different strain of lurgy from school every week but I'd like to at least ensure my immune system is at it's best.

haha, i get what you mean, but you know you can get the same (if not better) benefits from fruits, and with some of the new research coming out about supplements, I'd be wary of what i take..
Last edited by Wayfarer on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby RedPanda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:
RedPanda wrote:Hi there - not sure if this would be of any use/interest, but have you ever done a hair tissue analysis? Based on results you get personalised supplements etc. We use InterClinical Laboratories, who I believe are in NSW. The initial part is expensive, but the supps are decently priced.
Cheers.
P

No, I wasn't aware that was available - unless you were a suspected drug runner :D
Thanks, I'll check that out too.


Ha ha!! Definitely not. Martial artist. Our Sensei did a lot of his own research and found this hair tissue analysis to be beneficial for him as an athlete and subsequently for his instructors and dedicated students. It has addressed imbalances (by determining ratios) as well as deficiancies for me. Not for the faint hearted and the supplements do not take the place of good nutrition and a balanced diet, but are an additional source.

Take care.
RedPanda
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Mt Waverley, Vic

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 pm

RedPanda wrote:
Sven Nijs wrote:
RedPanda wrote:Hi there - not sure if this would be of any use/interest, but have you ever done a hair tissue analysis? Based on results you get personalised supplements etc. We use InterClinical Laboratories, who I believe are in NSW. The initial part is expensive, but the supps are decently priced.
Cheers.
P

No, I wasn't aware that was available - unless you were a suspected drug runner :D
Thanks, I'll check that out too.


Ha ha!! Definitely not. Martial artist. Our Sensei did a lot of his own research and found this hair tissue analysis to be beneficial for him as an athlete and subsequently for his instructors and dedicated students. It has addressed imbalances (by determining ratios) as well as deficiancies for me. Not for the faint hearted and the supplements do not take the place of good nutrition and a balanced diet, but are an additional source.

Take care.


Up front I gotta register as a sceptic. Wallet emptiers these are in general terms. Remember, in large blinded studies, people report benefit from placebo in AT LEAST 30% of drug trials.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
User avatar
ValleyForge
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Ant. » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Try these.
Available at many of your shopping spots :)

Image
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade
Ant.
 
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 am
Location: Perth

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Ant. wrote:Try these.
Available at many of your shopping spots :)

Thanks but as already noted "given my wife is a healthy eater/cook and we do eat healthily I'm concluding that maybe something is missing"
We'll have all of the items in that photo (except the egg plant :wink: ) pass across the lunch/dinner table at some point in the week.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby hannos » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Go see a doctor and get your bloods done.

Then you'll know if you're lacking something.

if you aren't, don't waste your money on those "supplements". All they really do is supplement the sellers wallet.
If you are missing something, then the blood work will tell you what and you can target that.

Otherwise, you're wasting your money.


Oh and if you supplement something that you really don't need to, you may cause yourself some medical problems through overdosing.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4007
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:01 am

hannos wrote:Go see a doctor and get your bloods done.

Thanks for that hannos.
That's my current thinking too.
A previous poster mention hair analysis which I priced and she was correct - it's not cheap (well over $100) so getting proper blood work done through my doctor would be preferable and maybe cheaper too.
Last edited by Sven Nijs on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby RedPanda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:A previous poster mention hair analysis which I priced and he was correct - it's not cheap (well over $100) so getting proper blood work done through my doctor would be preferable and maybe cheaper too.


I'm a SHE!! :D :D :D
All the best with your investigations. Hope it's just winter blues!!
RedPanda
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Mt Waverley, Vic

Re: Specialist vitamin suppliers in Sydney?

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:33 pm

RedPanda wrote:I'm a SHE!! :D :D :D

fixed :wink:
All the best with your investigations. Hope it's just winter blues!!

Thanks - so do I.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
User avatar
Sven Nijs
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Sunny Sydney


Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bartek



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist