Arm Fracture (Ulna)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
westab

Arm Fracture (Ulna)

Postby westab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Late last year I had and accident and spiral fractured my right forearm (the ulna which is the smaller of the two bones) about 60mm above my wrist joint for about another 40mm. I was lucky that it didn't displace and therefore didn't require surgery. After 6 weeks in a long arm cast I had another 4 weeks off the bike(I had done the exercises the hospital had given me) before I got back into riding to work. It was still sore then but this was as expected.

My concern is that it still has a dull ache from the time I start riding till about an hour after I finish. I have full motion and strength in the arm - I would just like to know if this is normal to have this after a fracture or if I should go see my G.P. to get it checked? (P.S. I havn't fractured anything else.)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

wombatK

Re: Arm Fracture (Ulna)

Postby wombatK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm

I've got a friend who had a double-hip replacement who half a year down the track was still limping around like he did before the successful surgery. There was no reason for it, and when another friend gently pointed out to him - it stopped (virtually overnight).

Seems his brain had been trained to limp, quite unconsciously, even when there was no need.

If you've only been back on the bike for a handful of rides, there could be a muscle that's a bit wasted, or other tissue that's tightened up that will take a bit more time to recover its flexibility. You probably should see your doctor to at least work out whether the pain has a physiological basis, or whether it just might be your brain playing tricks with you.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks WombatK, I have been back riding every day to work since mid January; so far 2586km for the year - It may just be time to see the doc, just for a checkup. The hospital did an x-ray after the swelling went down (and they reset it at 2 weeks) to check the bone was still in allignment, but never did a final one when it came out of the cast due to the fact that I had the full range of movement. It could be I am just as you say in my head.

Thanks again
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:53 am

you should always get any concerns checked by a GP, but it doesn't strike me as unusual that you might be getting some pain from a previously broken arm.