Toes Going Numb?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Toes Going Numb?

Postby stang1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm

As above stated, My toes goes NUMB, possibly lack of/constriction of blood flow to my toes after some good KM's. Any thoughts on this? Size 44 LG Shoe. Might it be my thick socks? Opinions handy ! :)
stang1

by BNA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:39 pm

BNA

Re: Toes Going Numb?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Thick socks are a big possibility.

As your feet tend to swell a fair bit when riding you may need a size larger if you want thick socks.
For a cheap attempt at a fix, scrunch your toes up and tense your foot as you do the shoes up, once relaxed you'll have a little more room.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby stang1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thick socks are a big possibility.

As your feet tend to swell a fair bit when riding you may need a size larger if you want thick socks.
For a cheap attempt at a fix, scrunch your toes up and tense your foot as you do the shoes up, once relaxed you'll have a little more room.

Thanks! Will give it a shot tomorrow :wink:
stang1

Postby flammer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:18 pm

When I ended my ride today, I realised that the front half of my foot was numb - with cold. It was 10C before I rode up into the Strathbogies. At Boho Sth it was no more than 5. Add some wind chill and the quick downhills were bracing. :shock:

The the Strathbogie shopkeeper said that it was warmer in the big fridge than outside of it this morning; -3.5!

To add to what Bill said, get out of the seat more often and get the circulation flowing.
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special
flammer

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:55 pm

It won't be the socks compressing the circulation (unless you are a bad diabetic). It is more likely to be pressure on the lateral plantar nerve. Ease off the forefoot tension and crank the arch tension in your shoes up correspondingly.

If your toes are blue then it is the cold!
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Postby stang1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Been Wriggling them toes throughout the ride. Seems to have worked :wink:
stang1

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Have been told this, yet to try it seeing as though I'm resting a broken toe.

use 2 pairs of thin socks, put a small plastic bag over your toes after the first pair and then the second pair goes over the top of that. It's supposed to stop cold air getting to them and create a nice warm environment for them. I'm a bit concerned about slippage myself, but when I'm back on the bike next week I'll give it a shot.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:07 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Have been told this, yet to try it seeing as though I'm resting a broken toe.

use 2 pairs of thin socks, put a small plastic bag over your toes after the first pair and then the second pair goes over the top of that. It's supposed to stop cold air getting to them and create a nice warm environment for them. I'm a bit concerned about slippage myself, but when I'm back on the bike next week I'll give it a shot.

Heard it too. Normal food bags are better than freezer bags. But not as good as shoe covers.
ValleyForge

Postby cazlup » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Armidale was -11.4C last week. Seriously cold. I swear by the plastic bag between socks (freezer bags are just fine) and a pair of shoe warmers :D
cazlup

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 pm

When its a chilly 9 degrees in Brisbane, I guess a wet facecloth would be OK.

-11 degrees, that's unsociable.
ValleyForge

Postby matth » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I get numb toes due to the genetics my father granted me (god bless him)... high arches and pronation issues.

I have recently tries these insoles by Sof Soleand so far have found them great. The extra arch support and gel inserts under the normal hot spot have greatly reduced the discomfort. There are different models for differing levels of arch support etc as well.
matth

Postby rider » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I have toe strap on my pedal and i ride in all weather condition. I used to get numb toes and cold feet but since switching to 100% smart wool socks which i bought online, my feet are toasty warm on colder days and never cold or numb. :D
rider

Postby Toolish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Are the shoes new. Have you had this issue before.

When I first went clipless I had this problem for a fair while. But playing around with cleat position helped and then the shoes wearing in over a couple of months helped too.
Toolish

Postby stang1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 am

its all good now :) Shoes were old, but i got a new pair :D these babies mould to my feet well and the wide front helped alot. toes weren't as suffocating as before, and had a bike fit that resolved the issue too :)
stang1

Return to Cycling Health