Numb hands

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Numb hands

Postby Cardy George » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:05 pm

My issue is with numbness/tingling which starts in my thumb/forefinger and slowly spreads. Weird part is it only occurs when I'm wearing gloves. I've recently flipped my stem to suit my new riding territory (flat, flat & more flat) with no change in results. Doing all the usual stuff like changing position etc....

Can anyone shed some light? Has anyone had this trouble from the wrong shaped bar?
Fondreist R10, Dura-Ace, Cosmic SL's
Specialized Hardrock, Spinergy Xyclones
And the occasional trailer full of kids......
Cardy George

by BNA » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:22 am

BNA

Re: Numb hands

Postby scotto » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:22 am

Aussie Orca wrote:My issue is with numbness/tingling which starts in my thumb/forefinger and slowly spreads. Weird part is it only occurs when I'm wearing gloves. I've recently flipped my stem to suit my new riding territory (flat, flat & more flat) with no change in results. Doing all the usual stuff like changing position etc....

Can anyone shed some light? Has anyone had this trouble from the wrong shaped bar?

so no gloves, no symptoms ? if thats the case its pretty obvious, changing position etc wont do a thing.

1. sounds like the gloves are too tight across the wrist, giving you carpel tunnel like symptoms.
2. buy different gloves
scotto

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Thumb & index finger = usually carpal tunnel.

Is there a lot of glove padding on the palm side of your wrist, near where your pulse is?
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 am

^^ That is a good question because I had problems with numbness all the time in my racing days. But now there are mittens that have ergonomically designed pads for this pressure area on the palms and since I stated using these, I can ride much longer before getting any numbness. :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi

When I got my Look 555 I was suffering similar symptoms but only in one hand. It turned out my shifters where no even and I was putting more pressure on one hand, the problem one. Once the shifters where evened up no more problems.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Cycling Health