nasal strips and chest infections

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
anth73

nasal strips and chest infections

Postby anth73 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:46 pm

I've had three reasonably severe chest infections over the winter months, the most recent being 2 weeks ago accompanied with the flu and I'm probably a week away from getting back on the bike. :(

My pharmacist suggested I make sure to inhale through my nose on cold mornings as this help warm the air before it enters the lungs. Sounds like good advice but I struggle to breathe through my nose at the best of times. :roll: If I pull the skin either side of the bridge of my nose it helps open things up appreciably and I was thinking of trying those nasal strips for the cold morning rides.

Has anyone tried them?
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC

wombatK

Re: nasal strips and chest infections

Postby wombatK » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:22 pm

You will look as ridiculous as the grid-iron players (NFL) who were sponsored by Breathe Right in the 90's.

Don't see too many professional athletes using them today, and if they had any real benefit, everyone would be using them.

Might be like those plastic wrist-bands.

Think it would make more sense to see if allergies or the like are clogging things up. If it's allergies, get rid of the source (carpets, cats, food, stress, whatever), rather than treat the symptoms for the rest of your life.

My mum used the Breathe Rights for a few months, reckoned they worked, looked ridiculous, but thankfully it was a passing phase and she stopped wasting money on them.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Karati

Re: nasal strips and chest infections

Postby Karati » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I have difficulty breathing through my nose also (Severe septum deviation).

I actually use the breathe right strips at night time regularly (Get a lot of caking and dryness causing bleeding etc) and they really help me to sleep.

Have worn them on occasion on the bike and they do help but still struggle to get the amount of air needed.

Dont mind what other people say it's definately worth a go even if it doesn't help as I know how frustrating it is not to be able to breathe properly.

Also...they are quite popular among the motoGP riders and if I'm not mistaken I have also seen Alberto Contador (Amongst others) wearing them during the tour.