Where to ge a bike fit done?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Where to ge a bike fit done?

Postby Spork! » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:14 am

I'm still getting niggling knee pain in the lateral aspect of my left knee after only 20-30k's. Riding lower gears and higher cadence doesn't seem to help. I want to be able to keep riding, and get back to 60-80k rides without knee pain and without causing any long term damage.
Does anyone in Launceston do a decent bike fit? If no-one in Lonny, any recommendations in Hobart or NW coast? The only place in Tassie I've found so far is Ray Appleby Cycles in Hobart. Has anyone used them for a bike fit? Was it worth the $150 (and 4-5 hours driving) to have it done there.
Spork!

by BNA » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:23 pm

BNA

Re: Where to ge a bike fit done?

Postby Releng » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Spork,
Rapid Cycles in Launceston offered to do a free fit for me, on my old bike. Without buying anything off them. I did not take them up as I bought a frame from their competitors.
Geards did a fit for me on the new bike for a small labour charge, it was not overly technical but it has certainly done the trick. A different stem and some fine adjustments to the seat and cleat positions have cured the pins and needles in the hands and helped the knees. I am still running in the new carbon fibre seat, which is the limiting factor on ride duration.
I reckon if you drop in to either shop and explain the issues with your knee they will be able to help. I have found both shops to be friendly, helpful and honest. I am not saying that the other shops in Lonnie are no good, I just have had no experience witth them.

PS, how is the cateye doing?
Releng

Postby Spork! » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for that Mick, will give one of them a try.
The Cateye is working great, but the readout is much smaller than my old Sigma comp. I guess thats the trade-off for having so much more information displayed at once. I should get used to it.
Spork!

Postby clarinetcola » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Aren't there only a handful of bikeshops in Launceston within walking distance (last time I visited)?
Out of the one in the green building, the specialized dealer, the one that serves coffee & sells Pinarellos, and one that escapes my mind there should be one that could do the job nicely!
clarinetcola

Postby m@ » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 pm

Can't comment on Launnie shops, but I Hobart is an option I'd go with Applebys, provided Ray does the fit. You could stock up on decent beer while you're down there :mrgreen:
There are four phases of bicycle commuting; first there's fear, then rage, then self-righteousness and finally, fun.
-Yehuda Moon
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Cycling Health