Cleats broke my leg

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Cleats broke my leg

Postby Rando » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Crank brothers egg beaters pedals, pabout two months old, starting to get a bit easier to use. No adjustment.
One fine morning someone had parked across the path, so I went around, on wet grass, off camber, and went down so fast I never thought about getting feet out, and snap crackle pop: both left leg bones broken just above the ankle joint. Took a while to realise I wasn't going to get to work that day, or any time soon.
Bacchetta Strada
Dahon Speed 7 folder
Copenhagen Pedersen
'49 Super Elliot flat tracker
Rando

by BNA » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm

BNA

Re: Cleats broke my leg

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Jesus....how are you now?

I just started riding with cleats this week (and had my first stack). This kinda stuff makes me nervous!

E
Espresso_

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury. That sucks seriously. Hope you mend quickly.

I admire the simple design and light weight of the eggbeaters, but would never buy them.

Two reasons:
1: No tension adjustment. I like mine very light so I can get out fast.
2: If you bash the eggbeater pedal on a rock or tree root, it will open the jaws and release your foot. That would have resulted in an unpleasant outcome at least twice in the race I did on the weekend.

I use Shimano XT SPDs and am very pleased with the way they perform.
trailgumby

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 am

That sucks big time! :shock:

I'd be turffing them real quick. :idea:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ireland57 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 am

Ouch!

I've had SPD's get unclipped on me when toe hitting rocks as well.

I'm very happy with them though and use them on my roadie as well.
ireland57

Cleats broke my leg

Postby Max » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:42 am

:shock: OMGosh you poor bastard. Heal quick!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 am

Unfortunate outcome that may happen with any type of clipless setup. As for CB eggbeater, it's actually the one of the easiest and fastest to release out there. There's a similarity here with ski bindings. Irrespective of the design, there'll always be a risk. But the benefits in general far outweighs any risk.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 am

Bugger, but don't think the fracture is directly attributable to the pedals alone.

Seems like a whole lot of circumstances that stacked up to an unfortunate outcome.
MichaelB

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am

I use studded flats on both my road and MTB bikes after using SPDs on both for many years. I've never had an injury that even came close to braking a leg (although the studs on flats can scratch up your lower legs). Went OTB yesterday while mucking around. It's good to able to separate from the bike so easy rather than worry about the complications of the interaction with your bike. I've even jumped over the handlebar during a crash and landed on my feet. Not something you could do easily with cleats.

Something for the non-racers to think about...
Nobody

Postby m@ » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:39 am

Newbie to clipless pedals + wet grass + off camber = bad combination irrespective of the logo on the pedals ;)

I've had one clipstack and a few incidents where I needed to unclip in a hurry with Crank Bros pedals - each time I disengaged one or both feet without thinking about it (just the wrong side during the clipstack ;) ). Much easier to disengage in an emergency than spuds IMO, even with the latter backed right off.

OTOH, I've pulled out of spuds in a sprint; never happened with the CB but I only have them on the MTB at this stage (the GLW is picking up my eggbeaters for the roadie from the post office today).
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby madrapper » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:46 am

Ok so now you've had a chance to think about it - are you gunna change the misleading title of this thread to something more indicative of reality?
Hope your leg heals well and fast - I'm just being a bit narky this morning.
Cheers,
Dave
madrapper

Postby mianos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I just put my old eggbeaters on my spare bike for a bit of local chores as I have the shimano sandals with cleat holes. They are so easy to get out of they scare me sh**less! I have Looks on my main bike, tightened by one graduation mark (ie. slight tighter than normal but not much). The Looks can be slower to get into but the sureness and the solid 'click' when you clip them in is fantastic. I'd say the eggbeaters are way way too easy for me to get out of once you are used to a proper road cleat.
mianos

Postby rustychisel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Really sorry to hear of your accident, hope the recovery is fast and total and you're not scared off cycling.

This is a bit of an ongoing debate, and one I've thought about quite a bit too, having crashed both with 'l'automatiques' - what we currently call clipless pedals, and with old style clips and straps. I don't think there's any hard and fast conclusion to be reached, actually, although your injury sounds horrific and outside the norm. That's no comfort for you though, I know.

If you're going to use any foot retention devices, my considerations were about whether one was more dangerous than the other, or more likely to release the foot in the case of accident, and whether the cleats and pedals contributed to greater injury or potential for injury.

The only thing I come up with as a truism is the more violent the crash/accident/impact the more likely the foot is to be able to disengage/twist free. Sadly, I remember them all.

- drunk, cycling home from uni, circled to wait for my mate on Decquetteville Terrace, toppled and fell, both feet firmly strapped in. Had to scrabble on my hands to side of road to avoid being run over by a bus, dragging bike behind me.

- seatpost broke at 10kmh, dumped me on the broken bits, then back wheel, which collapsed. Me and bike hit the deck, still strapped in both sides. Ouch.

- hit pothole with front wheel riding in to uni, bike flipped sideways and I skidded down the road on the side of my face. Was strapped in both sides, but not for long. Leather straps had a habit of stretching a bit when it really counts.

- rear derailleur spontaneously destructed whilst sprinting around a corner from traffic lights, chain locked back wheel, bike slid sideways, I hit the top tube but both feet out of clips n straps as I slid across the intersection.

- Look Delta pedals and cleats. Overcooked a corner on upper Montacute Road at about 50kmh, clipped grass verge running wide and was fine until the front wheel hit a rock, cartwheeling me and the bike down the road about 15m. Clips released, bike ended up in middle of road 10m further on. One broken pedal, one slightly buggered saddle, one smashed helmet.

- Keywins. Early one morning approached Kensington Road roundabout, wet road, third ride on new bike. Front tyre (new) got the paintwork and went sideways at 25kmh. Chipped humerus, buggered tendons, extreme pain. Upper foot still clipped in, lower released.

- Keywins. Following a mate's wheel at 40+kmh, he inextricably lead me into the road furniture at the bottom of Port Road - those yellow loaf rumble devices - moved around him as he slowed momentarily and looking ahead OOOPS!!! Bike and I cartwheeled over the top. Bike landed on me, then pedals released, bike ended up down the road, broken collarbone, much pain.
rustychisel

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:Bugger, but don't think the fracture is directly attributable to the pedals alone.

Seems like a whole lot of circumstances that stacked up to an unfortunate outcome.

Last year I came off with clips and straps and landed hard on my left knee and broke it. It would not have mattered what kind of pedals I had, clipped in or foot free, that knee was always going to break.

If it is any consolation, just over a year later and I am running and riding just fine on my "broken" knee (now fully healed) although I must admit that my first few weeks of resuming running were very strange.

Hope you heal well too.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Nobody wrote:I use studded flats on both my road and MTB bikes after using SPDs on both for many years. I've never had an injury that even came close to braking a leg (although the studs on flats can scratch up your lower legs). Went OTB yesterday while mucking around. It's good to able to separate from the bike so easy rather than worry about the complications of the interaction with your bike. I've even jumped over the handlebar during a crash and landed on my feet. Not something you could do easily with cleats.

Done it many times with cleats.

I started with straps...they are lethal on a mtb...never had a problem with shimano spd's.

Also for the OP...is this recent?...or an old story?...looking at your post's after this one regarding getting a recumbent it must have been a while ago.
toolonglegs

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:29 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Nobody wrote:I use studded flats on both my road and MTB bikes after using SPDs on both for many years. I've never had an injury that even came close to braking a leg (although the studs on flats can scratch up your lower legs). Went OTB yesterday while mucking around. It's good to able to separate from the bike so easy rather than worry about the complications of the interaction with your bike. I've even jumped over the handlebar during a crash and landed on my feet. Not something you could do easily with cleats.

Done it many times with cleats.

I started with straps...they are lethal on a mtb...never had a problem with shimano spd's.

I also started with straps to find they crushed my toes. Changed to Power Grips to find they became feet crushers due to twist and was worried about a broken ankle if I crashed the wrong way. So finally went to series 1 SPDs and stayed with them for many years.

Although the SPDs are more stable at speed I found getting caught out with low speed technical challenges was causing crashes. The final straw was climbing standing in a 24" gear (so very steep) lost traction suddenly, I couldn't get out as my knee was too close to the handlebar, ran out of time, clipstacked and had the end of the handlebar ram into my inner leg. Screaming in pain (just as well there was no one to hear it) I decided SPDs weren't worth it anymore as it wasn't the first time I'd crashed there.

Since then my skills have improved as I'm willing to take more risks in learning to get through harder bits of trail. Doing so as I'm now confident I'm going to be able the eject very quickly and easily. When I started on flats I was pretty shaky, but the ride before last I was downhilling too fast and started to bounce so much (I'm on a rigid) I was tracking off line. I thought I might end up in the trees, but my feet strangely weren't a problem.

Last time I looked trials guys used flats. But maybe I've got that wrong too. All I know is they work for me. :D
Nobody

Postby Rando » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Well thanks every body for full, frank and free discussion.
Newbie to clipp(ed)(less) pedals is most relevant, and not mentioned was slightly hungover and contemplating indecisively a repetitive small hillclimb for the sake of the cardiovascular system (while practising ' How MacDougall topped the score, for reasons abstruse), I do not blame the pedals.
However, I have not used them since, ( wife forbade it, for one) , and anyway, it turns out, after 8 weeks away from TAFE teaching apprentices, that I was not in such a hurry to get to work that I required the extra torque afforded by clipping in anyway....
Thanks for the feedback and resonance.
I got better. The incident was on 30.01.09. 8 weeks off then back to work under the influence of Codeine, which students still remember. I got the screws and plate out on July 1, 2010, and recovery has been fabulous.
No, the incident does not allow me to clip in happily yet, and I ponder the imminent recumbent with slight apprehension as a result, but 150 km per week should be done efficiently, if not swiftly.
Bacchetta Strada
Dahon Speed 7 folder
Copenhagen Pedersen
'49 Super Elliot flat tracker
Rando

Return to Cycling Health