fatigue

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: fatigue

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:I dismissed this "training stuff" as far too serious when I first started cycle commuting and ended up almost burying myself in overtraining induced fatigue. I've since found how important recovery is and that less can indeed be more.

i commute daily 10 km each direction. i have a decent crack at it, to get the most out of the 10 km, but it's not a lot. on top of that, i do a 2 and a 3-4 hour session every week when i commute to and play a basketball match. it's enough exercise to keep me in decent shape, but it's not much compared to when i used to race - albeit i was much younger then.

i'd be interested in that article about the training plan, as i'm planning to do the 100km otway odyssey this year (i dipped out last year).
jules21

by BNA » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm

BNA

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:30 pm

lovemybike wrote:Trailgumby gives good advice :) Enjoy Thailand Jules21...have a good rest :)

yeah thanks and to everyone else who suggested stuff here. i'll take it all into account - when i get back!
jules21

Postby wombatK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:07 pm

jules21 wrote:well, i just got back from the doctor and the verdict is in: vitamin D defficiency.

i'm a bit sus on that as the normal range is 60-160 and i'm 54, which doesn't seem that bad, but i'll soon find out when i head to thailand for some sun..

i also have high cholesterol (2.9 mmol/L when it should be < 2.0). i thought i ate pretty healthily, although i do gorge myself on biscuits..

Kudos to Missy24 for pickin' it ! Except it's not even in the "mild deficiency" territory according to the National Health and Medical Research Council's "Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand Including Recommended Dietary Intakes"
the Endocrine Society of Australia and Osteoporosis Australia (2005) defined mild deficiency for adults
as serum 25-OHD levels between 25 and 50nmol/L; moderate deficiency as between 12.5 and 25nmol/L
and severe, below 12.5nmol/L based on various indicators such as increases in parathyroid hormone secretion and various bone indicators

and it could just be seasonal variation
Seasonal changes have been shown to have a significant effect on the cutaneous production of
cholecalciferol (Pettifor et al 1996, Webb et al 1990). In the winter months in temperate latitudes, solar
UV light in the wavelength range of 290–320 nm is absorbed by the atmosphere. People also spend less
time outdoors and wear more clothing. For this reason, vitamin D deficiency is more common in the
winter months (Holick 1995).

Despite the sunny climate, a seasonal variation in vitamin D levels also occurs in Australia. In the
Geelong Osteoporosis Study, the mean vitamin D levels for winter were 58 nmol/L compared with
70 nmol/L in summer (Pasco et al 2001). However, after regular sun exposure, people under the age of
50 can produce and store approximately 6 months’ worth of vitamin D, so vitamin D stored in the body
is available during the winter when production is minimal (Holick 1996). However, in older people, the
efficiency of cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D is significantly less than that in younger people (Holick et
al 1989, Need et al 1993).

Not saying that it's not worth trying to get a little more sun and a little less time in the office. Just that you
shouldn't be too alarmed about it.

Cholesterol is harder to fix - biscuits (especially the tim-tams, mint-slices etc.,.) aren't very compatible with fixing it. But the good news is that you can substitute fresh fruit, like strawberries, cherries, mangoes etc,.. and get all the sweetness you crave.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:38 pm

wombatK wrote:Not saying that it's not worth trying to get a little more sun and a little less time in the office. Just that you
shouldn't be too alarmed about it.

My sister used to get depressed every winter and found that midday sun made the most difference. Nothing wrong with getting out of the office at lunch time and actually spending half an hour or so away from your desk.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Check your resting heart rate every morning - when it jumps up you know your body is fighting something, sniffles will start soon after!
Nate

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Nate wrote:Check your resting heart rate every morning - when it jumps up you know your body is fighting something, sniffles will start soon after!

Can also be a sign of overtraining.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

fatigue

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:41 am

jules21 wrote:well, i just got back from the doctor and the verdict is in: vitamin D defficiency.

Given the amour of outdoor cycling you do, I am surprised.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Previous

Return to Cycling Health