Elbow Pain

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Elbow Pain

Postby Karati » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm

After a quick ride on Saturday (30km (AT) 30km/h) I developed severe pain in the back of my right elbow (A number of hours after getting home).

Apparently I irritated some sac in the elbow and trapped a nerve in my shoulder which tightened all the muscles around my arm. So after some ultrasound, accupuncture and massage from the physio its a bit better. But...I want to know why after months of riding and no setup change has this become a problem.

Anyone had this problem? How did you fix it?
Karati

by BNA » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 am

BNA

Re: Elbow Pain

Postby scotto » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 am

sometimes showtime happens with these sort of aches and pains. Call it bad luck, something to do with the phase of the moon. Maybe there was a head wind and you learnt on your arms a tad more than previously. you can spend too much time trying to find answers that often aren't there !

generally that sort of pain I find results from leaning through the elbow a lot while is fully extended or straightened. I have it now after doing 165km ride 10 days ago, which is the first time in two years i have had elbow pain.
I really doubt its a nerve entrapment or bursitis (thats the sac) issue and just some inflammation or irritation of the joint cartilage. It'll get better. Some physio may speed that up a bit. Just avoid prolonged weight bearing through straight arms while riding for a bit.
Given no change in your setup I would just persevere and harden up. If you've only been riding for months it should settle. Think of these issues a bit like the bum pain you get for the first few weeks of riding. It goes away as you butt hardens up. So will this.

In the past I got this more on my MTB after long rides - bar ends allowed me to vary position more often and the ache went away
scotto

Postby Karati » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply!

My physio was basically saying it is bursitis but after reading your post and reading a few other bits I agree that it isn't.

Feels better again today so hopefully no more issues. It was pretty damn painful for a few days after.

Incidentally, it was indeed a strong headwind.
Karati

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:54 pm

You get Bursitis is brought on by repetitive actions, over a long period of time.

I have it in my left arm and shoulder joint, from doing many thousands of gear changes, in trucks. :roll:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Return to Cycling Health