Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 pm

wombatK wrote:
martinjs wrote:This sites pretty good.

http://www.myopure.com.au/

MyoPure Aussie whey protein concentrate at $24.95 a kilo, really good value.

It's contains 77g of protein per 100 g according to the label on the website.

So, assuming you buy enough to get free delivery, that is $32.40 per kg of protein. Certainly better than eggs ($32.61 per kg of protein).

But if it's really good value, how would you describe the $18.30 per kg of protein that you
get from skim milk powder ?

Cheers

Not making comparisons with other items, just answering the op's question on where he can buy protein locally.
When I order from this site I always buy enough to get free delivery which makes the cost affordable and it's easy to use and good quality.
Also there are other options if people wish to buy bulk.
Personally others can do what they want, I buy from this site because they are one of the cheapest place's to get both Protein and Creatine. They also offer good and prompt service. :D

I've answered the op's question the rest is up to him. :D 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

by BNA » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm

BNA

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Now I'm not really sure of my information here so please feel free to correct me.
MyoPures whey protein concentrate has a natural creamy mouth feel with a bland taste when mixed in water and mixes well in a shaker or blender (mixing by spoon is not recommended).

MyoPure WPC has high levels undenatured protein, high levels of BCAA's (22.4%) and is rich in serum albumin (typically 6%) and lactoferrin (typically 2%).

The bio-active peptides in whey protein concentrate may also have important health benefits (see The life extension protein that fights disease and extends lifespan).

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag96/96jan ... 5C&GO.Y=15
http://www.myopure.com.au/whey-protein-concentrate.html

Does the skim milk powder contain the same levels of Amio acids and such as the Whey protein?

Depends on what your after I suppose, I felt when I did my research the the all round qualities of the Whey Protein combined with the Creatine I take suited my both my short term and long term fitness and heath aims.
:D

Martin
martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm

This part should make you what to use it. :wink: :oops:

A whey protein product manufactured in Australia from fresh cheese whey by ultrafiltration (UF) and diafiltration. The composition of whey proteins closely resemble human breast milk.

Martin
martinjs

Postby wombatK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 am

martinjs wrote:Not making comparisons with other items, just answering the op's question on where he can buy protein locally.

And you definitely did that well. My only quibble was with the value aspect.
martinjs wrote:Does the skim milk powder contain the same levels of Amino acids and such as the Whey protein?

They both are derived from cows milk. Skim milk has a multitude of proteins, the main ones being whey protein and caseins; the levels of amino acids that each are reduced to is different because whey protein is a subset (or component) of skim milk. That does not necessarily make it better or worse.
A food is considered a good source of protein if it contains some or all of the nine essential amino acids that must come from the diet for the body to make the more than 10,000 different types of new proteins necessary for normal growth and maintenance. Skim milk and other animal products are good sources of complete protein, which means they provide all of the essential amino acids. The high-quality proteins found in skim milk are also isolated by food manufacturers for use in other products.
read more - see link to the 2007 Milk beats soy for muscle gain McMasters university study.

While protein supplementation obviously had an effect on the McMasters bodybuilders, whether you really need it should be questioned. There is relevant dietitians advice from livestrong
Myth of Protein Supplementation

Rarely in a Western diet of a healthy person is protein supplementation necessary. Amino acids supplied by protein supplements offer no special benefits beyond what food can supply. Eating extra protein to promote muscle growth is a myth. In order for muscles to grow, they must be stimulated physically and receive adequate protein, not excessive protein. Any macronutrient (protein, fat, carbohydrate) consumed in excess will be stored as fat. Amino acids consumed in excess simply make the kidneys work harder.
See also http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/ ... s-no-good/ for further explanation.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby MDL » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for all the info and making my head spin. The main thing i was trying to get was, was there some brands that will be stocked locally so i can get them in small amounts and try it. I would rather this as i may be able to have a chat to someone about it.

MDL
MDL

Postby martinjs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 am

First let me say, I'm not claiming to be an excerpt, but the debate on the High protein diet is bad or good is on going with enough evidence on either side to really confuse us all. :?

I think the truth is probably more focused on the individual, ie what works for one may not work for others. For me when I was in full flight weight loss a good balanced diet combined with a protein shake in place of food worked and worked well.

I usually have a drink that includes 500ml (give or take) of skim milk, 2 or 3 scoops of protein powder, 1 teaspoon of creatine with either Milo or coffee to flavour it. The protein feeds my recover needs and leaves me feel full stopping me from eating junk. :D

Works for me in fact I've been slack in keeping up with the routine in the last 6 months and I've put on a bit. :oops:

Good thing this thread, started the protein replacement again this morning. 8)

Martin
martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 am

martinjs

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 am

MDL wrote:Thanks for all the info and making my head spin. The main thing i was trying to get was, was there some brands that will be stocked locally so i can get them in small amounts and try it. I would rather this as i may be able to have a chat to someone about it.

MDL

I will finally answer your question MDL.

Look at this link & pick a local store in Toowoomba. There's heaps of them.

http://www.google.com.au/search?client= ... d5fd8beb13

They apparently stock the Balance product (would recommend the tropical/ pineapple flavour) I prefer to use which is actually a Recovery drink which I think was your original query. Otherwise if you want a protein boost I also use "ON" Gold standard 100% Whey protein powder before a +2hr ride instead of breakfast.
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby martinjs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
MDL wrote:Thanks for all the info and making my head spin. The main thing i was trying to get was, was there some brands that will be stocked locally so i can get them in small amounts and try it. I would rather this as i may be able to have a chat to someone about it.

MDL

I will finally answer your question MDL.

Budget Natural Food Market 139 Herries Street Towoomba. Ph--07 4927 2739 They apparently stock the Balance product (would recommend the tropical/ pineapple flavour) I prefer to use which is actually a Recovery drink which I think was your original query. Otherwise if you want a protein boost I also use "ON" Gold standard 100% Whey protein powder before a +2hr ride instead of breakfast.

Ooop's :oops: skimmed of the "not online" remark, although the website I mentioned has got a lot of information. I suppose I was thinking "local" as meaning Australia. :oops:

Martin
martinjs

Postby MDL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:06 am

Don't worry i have been enjoying the whole debate thing.

Well since we are going on about debates. Do you think it is possible to get weight lose from just bike riding and eating alittle healthier? Or would 1 gym session a week help to?

MDL
MDL

Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:16 am

MDL

The natures way one I use just comes from the local priceline. It's only 15 bucks so can't hurt to try.

You have to think about how to take it to get to benefit.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:03 pm

MDL wrote:Don't worry i have been enjoying the whole debate thing.

Well since we are going on about debates. Do you think it is possible to get weight loss from just bike riding and eating alittle healthier? Or would 1 gym session a week help to?

MDL

Yes & No. I've been bike riding for 23 years (currently 43 yo) & I started out at 75kg went up to 105kg (at around 33yo) & have lost 12kg in the past 9 months. I attribute ALL the current weight loss to diet only. Bike riding would be helping, though looking at my track record probably not much. Although the more weight I lose the further & faster I seem to be able to ride with less food & water. A bit of the chicken or the egg scenario going on there.

1 gym workout would help especially if it's not the same aerobic type of routine as cycling is the majority of the time. Reason being you would be using different types of muscle groups ie-fast twitch fibres (more explosive movements) as apposed to slow twitch (slower more repetitive movements)

This could spark a twenty page debate as weight loss can be quite different from one person to another when factoring in age, size, gender & medical issues, but what I believe is the more active you are --cycling, walking the dog, swimming, shovelling dirt or anything to get you off the couch will help lift your metabolism. This along with a sensible PERMANENT diet change (not a diet) will achieve weight control or loss if desired.
ZepinAtor

Postby DiverMark » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Last year I started commuting about 12-15 km a day but made no change to my diet, over the course of three months I lost about 3 kg, which I promptly put back on over Christmas :D . At the start of this year I decided I needed to get serious about losing some weight so I have been getting in longer rides 40-70 km's two -three times a week as well as the commutes. I also altered my eating by reducing sweets and having smaller serves at meal times. Since the start of this year I have gone from 82kg down to 74kgs. So for me at the moment just riding is working but every ones metabolism is different.
DiverMark

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 pm

MDL wrote:Well since we are going on about debates. Do you think it is possible to get weight lose from just bike riding and eating alittle healthier? Or would 1 gym session a week help to?

MDL

yes and yes. Eating a little healthier ==> a little weight loss. Eating a lot healthier (i.e. much less) ==> a lot of weight loss.

Protein supplements aren't what you want if you want the latter. There's good evidence that weights workouts can help a lot with weight loss, but I lost 25 kg from by just walking and cycling - and eating a lot better and less. Just a matter of what you've got time and determination to do.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby martinjs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Personally, I don't think there is any one way of archiving what you want. Try different combinations and find one that works for you. When I returned again to cycling 4 years ago I weighed over 120kilos, I then lost over 15kilos with working my way up to 100kilometers a week but then got stuck on 105kilo's for a while

To lose more I started riding more and started using the protein supplements and multivitamins. I'm turning 49 in April this year and am fittest I've been in over 15years. I still have to be cartful because I do like my food :oops: I find the protein and creatine (the creatine I'm taking because in my research there seemed to be some evidence in can help slow muscle wastage that occurs as you get older.) drinks help me from getting to hungry and provides a good revival drink after my 25 to 30k ride to work in the mornings.

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be an expert and won't try and claim others have it wrong, but it works for me. 8)

Martin
martinjs

Postby MDL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks Martin and everyone else. This has been good. I had today off from cycling. Going out in the morning see how I go. shake before or after?

MDL
MDL

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 am

MDL wrote:Thanks Martin and everyone else. This has been good. I had today off from cycling. Going out in the morning see how I go. shake before or after?

MDL

Depends really.

Small ride less than 40km at low intensity. Nothing before or after, just water & something small to eat maybe.

Long hard ride over 3hrs + a protein shake or breakfast before & something (as many here have suggested) after, but I wouldn't go over board.
ZepinAtor

Postby MDL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
MDL wrote:Thanks Martin and everyone else. This has been good. I had today off from cycling. Going out in the morning see how I go. shake before or after?

MDL

Depends really.

Small ride less than 40km at low intensity. Nothing before or after, just water & something small to eat maybe.

Long hard ride over 3hrs + a protein shake or breakfast before & something (as many here have suggested) after, but I wouldn't go over board.

What about a hour high at high intensity? Lol

MDL
MDL

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:35 am

MDL wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:

MDL

Depends really.

What about a hour high at high intensity? Lol

MDL

Damn it !!!! I just typed a 2 page essay on Carbohydrate needs blah blah blah & the system logged me out aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh.

In summary------ Your body will store enough protein for 2hrs. Carbohydrates will be depleted every 20 minutes under high load.-----------1gram of carbohydrate / kg of body weight / hour. So if your 70kg thats 70 grams of carbs/ hour which can be calculated by looking at the values on the product you choose to consume. eg a typical gel = 30 grams of carbs. A good sports drink such as Endura has about 10 grams/ 100mls so an entire bidon (600mls)= 60 grams.

I can only handle about half of the recommended dose per hour, so try it & see what works for you.

ps-(I'm not a professional sports dietician or qualified in this field, but have experimented with mountains of products over many years & found what suits me best)
ZepinAtor

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 am

Ebay is a good source too...
I think i'm normally around the $70 for 5lbs (2.5kgs or so).

Use either WPI or WPC (protein isolate or concentrate) - i get it from Mr Vitamins (around the corner from me), but the cheapest i can find does me just fine. Cheap cheap cheap.

I use it for recovery too, so i normally add in some Maltodextrin (sugar) - which gives an insulin spike & helps to get things in the muscles quicker post workout. Basically the insulin "opens" the muscles up & the protein & everything else piggy backs on that.
Have a look at a few weight lifting forums - quite common on there.

Sustagen sport = sustagen + extra protein
So you can use normal sustagen & just add protein (what i do), its not just sugar water - its got a heap of vitamins & all sorts of other stuff in there too - so if you require supplements it can be beneficial.

Milk & Milk powders = lactose, may give you the runs if you have enough of it & you'll be getting a lot less protein.
Nate

Postby steve-waters » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:34 pm

http://professionalwhey.com.au/

The best protein online - he was the cheapest at the time I was loading up. It is pure has no added rubbish in it nothing artifical. He stocks a few orgainic flavours as well.

Stephen is also a good guy - I have spoken to him a few times on the phone about supplements etc etc....

I also grabbed another supplement which helped with muscle recovery and immune system - will let you do the the research.

Sorry sounds like an ad but I am at work and pretty busy.

p.s my opinion if protein makes a difference - it does but it is not the protein that will make you stronger or bigger it is the work you do, protein is there to assist the body in getting on with its job of recovery.
Roadie: BeOne Black, SRAM Force, TWE 50mm full carbon clinchers, Vértebrae ceramic cable housings
MTB: Chin29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels
ex-MTB now commuter: Cannondale F900 (CAAD 4), Headshok, TWE wheels, XT and Elixr CR
steve-waters

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

steve-waters wrote:p.s my opinion if protein makes a difference - it does but it is not the protein that will make you stronger or bigger it is the work you do, protein is there to assist the body in getting on with its job of recovery.

++

Muscle growth is initiated in the gym, but it it happens in the kitchen
Nate

Postby MDL » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Hey guys was just looking at the balance Protein wpi/wpc 3kg for $99 at a shop on the gold coast. This seems good value for money for $1 per serve ? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

I have put the link for the product I was lookin at

http://www.australiansportsnutrition.co ... uctID=1267

Just for the price I can see why not. I not it doesn't have the BCAA's in it but I think it has everything else.

MDL
MDL

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:44 pm

MDL wrote:Hey guys was just looking at the balance Protein wpi/wpc 3kg for $99 at a shop on the gold coast. This seems good value for money for $1 per serve ? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Just for the price I can see why not. I not it doesn't have the BCAA's in it but I think it has everything else.

MDL

Looks OK, but try to get a sample or smaller (more expensive unfortunately) container because if you don't like it that's a lot of powder to consume. As a comparison I purchase "ON" for the same price (5.5lbs) or 2.5kg which includes 5.5 grams per serve of BCAA's. Reason being it is a very fine grain, yes like sand, but finer than most others which makes it easier to mix & stomach. Some of the popular brands are lumpy & glue like in texture.
ZepinAtor

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 pm

MDL wrote:Hey guys was just looking at the balance Protein wpi/wpc 3kg for $99 at a shop on the gold coast. This seems good value for money for $1 per serve ? Just wondering what your thoughts are?

MDL

I think the WPC from http://professionalwhey.com.au/catalog/ ... ucts_id=60 , http://www.myopure.com.au/whey-protein-concentrate.html and Skim Milk Powder is better value.

Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) is supposedly not as good as Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) but I think unless you are a hardcore bodybuilder you would not notice the difference.

You were asking earlier if you would lose weight from cycling and eating a little healthier. I lost a little weight at first but then plateaued in terms of weight loss. I basically dropped a trouser size while maintaining pretty much the same weight :shock:

I had to make some more healthy eating choices (replacing cakes, biscuits and desserts with fruit and nuts and soft drink/fruit juice with water) and also cut down my portion sizes to lose more weight.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Health