Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: Protein Powder? Local Suppliers?

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Another reason to choose skim milk powder: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/140/7/1234.abstract

The combination of dairy protein and dietary calcium (Ca) may enhance weight loss more effectively than either compound alone.

Fat mass was less in rats fed skim milk powder-high calcium than in those fed casein-low calcium or soy protein isolate-low calcium. Lean body mass was greater in rats fed skim milk powder than in those fed whey.

I am particularly interested in lean body mass being greater for skim milk powder vs whey considering whey is more expensive. Seems to indicate that if you want to lose weight and increase lean body mass then skim milk powder may be better than whey.

I was going to buy some whey protein concentrate but since my goals are to lose weight and increase lean body mass I am going to try skim milk powder... good pickup wombatK! :D
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm

BNA

Postby MDL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Ended up getting some of the balance stuff got a small tub to start. See how I go.

Well now I'm doin a 24 hour MTB Race in may with some mates.

MDL
MDL

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 am

MDL wrote:Ended up getting some of the balance stuff got a small tub to start. See how I go.

MDL

Hey, have fun! I did a 24 hour ride last year and it was great fun.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby MDL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:08 am

casual_cyclist wrote:
MDL wrote:Ended up getting some of the balance stuff got a small tub to start. See how I go.

MDL

Hey, have fun! I did a 24 hour ride last year and it was great fun.

Yeah it will be fun if I can get the Fitness up

MDL
MDL

Postby wheels46 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 am

Opening this thread again... Just about to buy some of this (so can't verify it's worth). Price is best I've seen so far. :D Just under $20 per kg and goes as low as $12 per kg the more you buy.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/RealNutritionDirect?_trksid=p4340.l2563
wheels46

Postby winstonw » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

wheels46 wrote:Opening this thread again... Just about to buy some of this (so can't verify it's worth). Price is best I've seen so far. :D Just under $20 per kg and goes as low as $12 per kg the more you buy.

Haven't bought much off ebay. Is freight discounted for purchases of more than one item from this seller?

I bought 3 products from this guy this week. http://www.bulknutrients.com.au
Freight was a flat $12 for the bundle and delivered next working day by Australia Post.

Though two 250g packages were mislabeled as 1kg each (only billed for 250g though), and one of the products was billed higher than "one" of the online advertised prices. A bit too mickey mouse for me to deal with again. If they are making mistakes like that, then it's possible they could send you caffeine rather than dex....and you'd be too dead to get a refund.
winstonw

Postby TrekStar » Sat May 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Buy a small tub and try. Some people can develop or have allergies to whey protein, which can give you post ride (and sometimes during ride) diarrhea! I experienced post ride diarrhea especially if I down a cup with milk after my ride.
TrekStar

Postby martinjs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Whey Protein

Whey protein is a common protein supplement produced as part of the dairy manufacturing process. An advantage of whey protein is how quickly your body absorbs it. Whey protein digests much more quickly than casein, making whey an ideal post-workout protein. Following a workout, the more quickly you replace lost amino acids, the more quickly you start recovering and building muscle. By using both skim milk and protein supplements, you get the most out of each type of protein and stick to your budget as well.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47738 ... z1fwgCIyt8

Doing my own long overdue research on protein and found this article (part of only). Seems even though skim milk will give you the protein you need Whey Protein is absorbed quicker.
Having said that although I'd like to keep up with my Whey protein my funds are a bit short so I'll have ago at the skim milk for the moment.

Just a thought Mods, how about making this thread a sticky, lots of good information in this one. 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 pm

wombatK wrote:
martinjs wrote:This sites pretty good.

http://www.myopure.com.au/

MyoPure Aussie whey protein concentrate at $24.95 a kilo, really good value.

It's contains 77g of protein per 100 g according to the label on the website.

So, assuming you buy enough to get free delivery, that is $32.40 per kg of protein. Certainly better than eggs ($32.61 per kg of protein).

But if it's really good value, how would you describe the $18.30 per kg of protein that you
get from skim milk powder ?

Cheers

More research relieved that the skim milk powder we looked at has 4 x more carbohydrates per 100g's, than the protein powered I use.
Bit of a problem when trying to control weight.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

The advice on the skim milk might be true, but have you TASTED that stuff? EW. Ultimately, all protein inputs have to be palatable. You can't have bad tasting inputs if you aren't ridiculously devoted, and if you're an amateur cyclist, you are not devoted. You really aren't. Sustagen Sport tastes good, is reasonable value from the chemist, and can be rotated through with other things if you like. Should you have it before or after? Have some before, and some after. Really, best thing is to drink it and take notes on your monthly history. You'll notice better results with certain things - problem is, it's what you are doing the rest of the time; if you're eating pizzas the night before, you won't need to carb load before the ride. If you are eating salads all the time, you will have to load everything constantly. If you are eating chocolates and are a fat salad dodger, you're going to struggle whether you load or not. The important thing is simply make sure you aren't depriving yourself, and take notes to see how your body with your diet and exercise regime responds.
Xplora

Postby biftek » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm

winstonw wrote:
wheels46 wrote:Opening this thread again... Just about to buy some of this (so can't verify it's worth). Price is best I've seen so far. :D Just under $20 per kg and goes as low as $12 per kg the more you buy.

Haven't bought much off ebay. Is freight discounted for purchases of more than one item from this seller?

I bought 3 products from this guy this week. http://www.bulknutrients.com.au
Freight was a flat $12 for the bundle and delivered next working day by Australia Post.

Though two 250g packages were mislabeled as 1kg each (only billed for 250g though), and one of the products was billed higher than "one" of the online advertised prices. A bit too mickey mouse for me to deal with again. If they are making mistakes like that, then it's possible they could send you caffeine rather than dex....and you'd be too dead to get a refund.

the guys from bulk nutrients post over at http://www.ausbb.com , their products are of high quality and great pricing too
biftek

Previous

Return to Cycling Health