Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby MDL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 am

Hey wondering weather Anyone has tried the Glutamine tablets and fish oil tablets from aldi? The Glutamine is only $10 that was the only reason I was looking at them.

MDL
Image
MDL
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 am
Location: Toowoomba QLD

by BNA » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 am

BNA
 

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby Mustang » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 am

It may be an idea to compare the concentration of the glucosomine,? I saw a comparison the other day of two products that looked the same, one brand you only needed 1 x pill, the other you needed 9 x pills daily.
Image
User avatar
Mustang
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am

at that price try em and see. they do as much good as harm anyway :wink:
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby MDL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am

Yeah I think it was 1000 not 1500 so not quite as strong as the blackmores but still works out a little cheaper

MDL
Image
MDL
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 am
Location: Toowoomba QLD

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm

does strength matter ?
there's not enough real evidence on the use of fish oil / glucosamine etc, let alone appropriate dosage. hence try it and see if it helps you more, less or the same.
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby MDL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Well it pick up some of the glucosamine, $6.99 for a month and a half.

MDL
Image
MDL
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 am
Location: Toowoomba QLD

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

scotto wrote:does strength matter ?
there's not enough real evidence on the use of fish oil / glucosamine etc, let alone appropriate dosage. hence try it and see if it helps you more, less or the same.


Funny about that evidence thing. Two doctors I see regularly both recommended fish oil and so did a surgeon I have been seeing for a knee problem. A naturopath asked my wife to increase her dosage.

Ditto glucosamine.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2922
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby ghunt04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Hey guys,

Just noticed the conversation turned from "Glutamine" (in the OP & title) to "Glucosamine"

From my understanding

    Glutamine is more for aiding recovery (repair muscle). A PT has told me he suggests it for guys looking to cut weight instead of using a protein powder. This most likely comes in the form of a powder.

    Glucosamine is for joint cartilage, eg sore knees. Which are in the pills you picked up.

Thanks. :)
ghunt04
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Funny about that evidence thing. Two doctors I see regularly both recommended fish oil and so did a surgeon I have been seeing for a knee problem. A naturopath asked my wife to increase her dosage.

Ditto glucosamine.

My doctors say neither of them do anything, and my doctors could beat up your doctors :)
But really, there's no proof supplementing something your body naturally produces (glucosamine) will do anything but pass through. I guess what i mean is, if you have problems, you need to get them fixed properly, not throw some pills and hope it goes away.
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby nutsack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:49 pm

scotto wrote:does strength matter ?
there's not enough real evidence on the use of fish oil / glucosamine etc, let alone appropriate dosage. hence try it and see if it helps you more, less or the same.


Glucosamine is no better than placebo.

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4675.full
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/304/1/45.full

Glutamine is a different substance. (I haven't looked into it yet).

Fish oil I believe helps but i haven't sighted compelling evidence.

The majority (if not all) of natural or over the counter remedies are no better than placebo and should be labelled and sold as such.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red
nutsack
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 am

glucosamine made my knee pain worse , i took it for 6 months . i told the docs , they just said keep taking it for life . the chemist said it starts working in 3 to 4 months . i actually stop taking it and the knee pain reduced , this was before any exercise . by the way the only thing the mri picked up was softening of the knee cap cartalidge . there is no eveidence that it works except for payments to doctors to recommend it imo . the theory is that glucosamine is made out of cartalidge from crustacians , crab shells and prawn shells , the theory is that if you eat it it might repair cartalidge . it is naturally in egg whites and merrangue as well .
on the other hand fish oil is proven to lower cholesterol ,tha'ts a given, but germans, french, greeks and russians all have higher cholesterol than westerners and a longer life span with less heart attacks .
its one of those things i guess .
i'm no doctor so what i said is backed up with nothing / no evidence . just my opinion . do your own research .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:11 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:glucosamine made my knee pain worse , i took it for 6 months . i told the docs , they just said keep taking it for life . the chemist said it starts working in 3 to 4 months . i actually stop taking it and the knee pain reduced , this was before any exercise . by the way the only thing the mri picked up was softening of the knee cap cartalidge . there is no eveidence that it works except for payments to doctors to recommend it imo . the theory is that glucosamine is made out of cartalidge from crustacians , crab shells and prawn shells , the theory is that if you eat it it might repair cartalidge . it is naturally in egg whites and merrangue as well .
on the other hand fish oil is proven to lower cholesterol ,tha'ts a given, but germans, french, greeks and russians all have higher cholesterol than westerners and a longer life span with less heart attacks .
its one of those things i guess .
i'm no doctor so what i said is backed up with nothing / no evidence . just my opinion . do your own research .

Well seeming as doctors wallets are payed by pharmaceutical companies I'd tend to agree :) Forget not that the Germans and French do plenty more exercise than we westerners (well noone on this site particularly, but as a general consensus). Y'know exercise lowers cholesterol more than any dietary supplement possibly can? 8)
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

MDL wrote:Yeah I think it was 1000 not 1500 so not quite as strong as the blackmores but still works out a little cheaper

I take high strength fish oil tablets but was having a small problem with my right knee and decided to try Glucosamine and it does appear to work for me. However, I find that with my taking the 1,000 tablets (they where cheap) that if I miss a day or two the pain comes back fairly quickly and it takes a week to get it under control again. I will I think try 1,500 tablets next time to see if it makes any difference.

Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20505
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby nutsack » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Well seeming as doctors wallets are payed by pharmaceutical companies I'd tend to agree :) Forget not that the Germans and French do plenty more exercise than we westerners (well noone on this site particularly, but as a general consensus). Y'know exercise lowers cholesterol more than any dietary supplement possibly can? 8)


I hope the smiley means you are kidding, otherwise the comment is ridiculous.

If you want to complain about pharmaceutical kickbacks ask your local pharmacist why he/she pushes a certain generic companies product over anothers, or from pushing a natural product/placebo. I can assure you your local gp gets nothing out of recommending treatments. Not even a pen or a 3 pack of logo golf balls since legislation was introduced couple years back.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red
nutsack
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:50 pm

nutsack wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Well seeming as doctors wallets are payed by pharmaceutical companies I'd tend to agree :) Forget not that the Germans and French do plenty more exercise than we westerners (well noone on this site particularly, but as a general consensus). Y'know exercise lowers cholesterol more than any dietary supplement possibly can? 8)


I hope the smiley means you are kidding, otherwise the comment is ridiculous.

If you want to complain about pharmaceutical kickbacks ask your local pharmacist why he/she pushes a certain generic companies product over anothers, or from pushing a natural product/placebo. I can assure you your local gp gets nothing out of recommending treatments. Not even a pen or a 3 pack of logo golf balls since legislation was introduced couple years back.


well thats good to hear . try finding some conclusive scientific medical evidence that this stuff works . some orthapedics push it , others say its useless .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 am

nutsack wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Well seeming as doctors wallets are payed by pharmaceutical companies I'd tend to agree :) Forget not that the Germans and French do plenty more exercise than we westerners (well noone on this site particularly, but as a general consensus). Y'know exercise lowers cholesterol more than any dietary supplement possibly can? 8)


I hope the smiley means you are kidding, otherwise the comment is ridiculous.

If you want to complain about pharmaceutical kickbacks ask your local pharmacist why he/she pushes a certain generic companies product over anothers, or from pushing a natural product/placebo. I can assure you your local gp gets nothing out of recommending treatments.

oh really? Lets do a quick google search; http://www.watoday.com.au/national/paid ... -2ufe.html
"Many leading specialists are being paid generous fees to peddle influence on behalf of the world's biggest drug companies,"

Regardless of your opinion though, it's undeniable that doctors do not monitor patients over a long period of time to see if rubbish like glucosamine or fish oil actually work or help; what they recommend comes from a text book or journal article, and most of the time, they couldn't give half of two stuffs whether or not it actually works. If we're talking about a physiologist who does long term care, different story.

If glucosamine supplementation did work, it wouldn't be a secret. It'd have many articles written about it, without any fishing through rubbish half-articles about how it 'may' work. If it worked, osteoporosis wouldn't affect 1/3 Australians, and all our cartilage problems would be solved. No more knee replacements. It's that simple. Unlike creatine; it works, and everybody knows it does, end of discussion, no beating around the bush or 'clinical trials', or any other rubbish.

No freebies?
It's a blatant example of a pharmaceutical company trying to boost profits by swaying the professional decisions of clinicians - something that also happens here in Australia - whether it's drug company freebies like the branded pens and notepads that litter doctors desks, or industry sponsored conferences and education sessions

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/nationalintere ... 683547.htm
and my personal favorite
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/he ... 5837527835
Big expensive parties for doctors? I want a party.
What are these salesmen peddling?
User avatar
Wayfarer
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Aldi supplements - Glutamine - fish oil tablets

Postby aldifan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 pm

If you search the Cochrane reviews you will clearly see that there is conclusive evidence that Eskimos eat more fish than we do and have fewer heart attacks. The obvious conclusion from this is that we should all wear fur, sleep in a freezer and get chased by polar bears on a regular basis or we will all DIE!!!!!!

Seriously though, eat a varied, nutritious and hopefully tasty diet and you should not need too much else.

Oh and ride your bike a bit.(This is a cycling forum after all.)
aldifan
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Canberra ACT


Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit