Erdinger Alkoholfrei Beer a sports drink for athletes

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Erdinger Alkoholfrei Beer a sports drink for athletes

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:42 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/w ... 6010278397

A BAVARIAN brewmeister is touting its no-alcohol beer as the latest sport drink for athletes, handing it out at the finish line of sporting events and touting its regenerative benefits, FOXNews.com reported Monday.

Unlike Gatorade, Erdinger Alkoholfrei is served up with a frothy head. And it comes in one color, a golden hue.

The company claims the beer helps athletes recover from workouts as it is isotonic and vitamin-rich.

The drink was handed out to athletes after they competed at the World Cup biathlons held in Maine this month.

"It's a very healthy product," said the brewery's US manager Glenn McDonald, according to the Seattle Times.

"Overseas, it's very popular. It's the No. 1 non-alcohol beer in Germany."

Ross

by BNA » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 am

BNA

Re: Erdinger Alkoholfrei Beer a sports drink for athletes

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 am

Non alcoholic beer. What's the freakin' point?!

If I want a recovery drink after an event, I'll go have a proper recovery drink and later on, I'll neck a couple of beers.

Decaffeinated coffee, you can put that rubbish in the same bin.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy

Postby r2160 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:44 am

A friend of mine has a restaurant called "The Stone Grill" at Wetherill Park. He actually stocks this beer on tap. I really like the flavour, and the best part is that you can have a few beers and not have to worry about the tools in blue!!!

Apparently, you can have 24 midis an hour and still be under the limit!!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 am

r2160 wrote:...the best part is that you can have a few beers and not have to worry about the tools in blue!!!

Yeah, keeping drunk drivers off our roads. What tools. :roll:

r2160 wrote:Apparently, you can have 24 midis an hour and still be under the limit!!

24 middays in an hour and I'd be going like a clydesdale for the next 3 hours. Driving would not be a problem, wetting myself might be. :oops: :lol:

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
Uncle Grumpy

Postby r2160 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 am

Clearly we have had different experiences with the police service. As far as I am concerned, the more people that are nailed with drunk driving the better. That does not excuse the attitude by many of the police that I have met.

glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 pm

r2160 wrote:Clearly we have had different experiences with the police service. As far as I am concerned, the more people that are nailed with drunk driving the better. That does not excuse the attitude by many of the police that I have met.

I have a lot of bad experiences with Police harrassment or inaction. I have also had a lot of positive experiences with the Police. I've been arrested twice and I've also worked on projects with them. At the same time, they are empowered to do a job and that job is to uphold order by serving and protecting members of society. Regardless of some bad experiences I respect them for choosing to wear the blue uniform and tackle a job that is confronting and emotionally difficult from time to time.

You're entitled to your views of the Police force. Like any group, the reputation of them as a whole is often based on our experience of the individuals we get to deal with. We're entitled to a range of views as varied as our range of experiences. I just don't know if I'd tarnish the whole Police force as "tools" but hey, I'm not the one currently under surveillance... :wink:

Grumps
Uncle Grumpy

Postby X-wing » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Is there a forum award for 'fastest thread to go totally off topic'? :D

I was in Erding last year and I can say that everthing I tried from their brewery tasted wonderful, lovely, crisp drinking beer.

I got my dad onto the Alkoholfrei when I got back, and now we are both happy! :D
X-wing

Postby eeksll » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:03 am

hmmm thats kinds like only ever riding a bike on a trainer ....
eeksll

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:10 am

Not everyone drinks to get drunk, some people drink because they like the taste of the beverage.
Ross

Postby twizzle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:41 am

Ross wrote:Not everyone drinks to get drunk, some people drink because they like the taste of the beverage.

Ah, so beer drinkers have broken taste buds? I always wondered about that... :wink:
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 am

Ross wrote:Not everyone drinks to get drunk, some people drink because they like the taste of the beverage.

So if some don't drink to get drunk, we're agreed that others do, yeah?

To be honest, I don't drink to get drunk, but I do enjoy a buzz. So I'll put the abovementioned alkoholfrei beer on my list of things to try. Where do I buy it? Bottle shop or soft drink aisle at Woolies?

And if you can produce a non-alcoholic whiskey with all the subtle nuances of Jameson Irish Whiskey then you sir, will be sainted, knighted and deified.

Grumps
Uncle Grumpy

Postby laufmaschine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I have recently reduced alcohol consumption but still ike the taste of a beer. Try the Paulaner Alkolfrei ... it is also very good. Better than the Erdinger in my opinion.

It's good to have alcohol free options that taste good too. :)
Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein
laufmaschine

Postby scotto » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 pm

perroni low carb is my drink of choice. i've lost more weight on this beer diet than anything else !!
low gi, low carb, fat free, sugar free, low alcohol. i havent yet started drinking it at breakfast, bu the time will come..
scotto

Return to Cycling Health