Bursitis & recovery

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Bursitis & recovery

Postby fatherofmany » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Having been involved in athletics of cycling for about half my life and knowing the feel of different injuries like broken bones and pulled muscles etc I had a new one. I have had pain above my heel for a couple of months now, it subsides at night and gets worse when I walk or run. Cycling doesn't seem to iritate it. I didn't think it was a problem with the tendon as such and it had me wondering. So I went to the docs this morning after a couple of months of achilles pain. She thinks it's Bursitis, an inflammation of the bursa between the achilles tendon and the heel bone. I'm off for an ultrasound to confirm it soon as I can get an appointment. If it is confirmed then it looks like cortisone injections to the area.

Anyone else had it? Treatment? Recovery period?

Thanks for any input, FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

by BNA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:09 pm

BNA

Re: Bursitis & recovery

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Had one on the elbow. Actually, for some reason it got infected and I had a ripping fever and was really crook for a couple of days until the antibiotics kicked in.

For the elbow, it was just a matter of looking after it and not bump it. Let the oedema settle out over a few weeks. Didn't affect use of the elbow, just made it sore after repeated use. That was almost a year ago, and even today I get a bit tender in the elbow after doing a heavy weight session.

Now, this differs to an ankle where you're putting weight on it. Applying heat or cold won't help, you have to let the sac heal and regenerate fluid, while the fluid you have accumulated has to dissipate. I guess making sure it doesn't suffer any impacts would help, any jarring movements as well. Running might not be great but cycling is lesser impact. Of course, I'm not a doctor or a physiotherapist, though I did once date a nurse.

Not much more I can offer other than wait and see what your medical professionals tell you.

Good luck with it, they do take time.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Have and still get it in my left shoulder at the arm joint socket. Told nothing but rest will relieve it and had it for three years now. :(

Caused from years of gear changing in trucks. :x
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby fatherofmany » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Impacts, mmm. Guess the coming Cross Country season won't help.

Maybe it's a good excuse to stop running for a while and just cycle.
fatherofmany

Postby dobby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I was diagnosed with it in my left shoulder over a year ago from about 20 plus years of repetitive practice as a golfer. I had a series of 5 cortisone injections and while it gave relief, the law of diminishing returns kicked in.

I have taken a sabbatical from golf for a couple years, and thats what brought me into cycling.
dobby

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 pm

I now drive an automatic truck and that has given me the relief I needed. 8)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby elantra » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 am

fatherofmany wrote:Having been involved in athletics of cycling for about half my life and knowing the feel of different injuries like broken bones and pulled muscles etc I had a new one. I have had pain above my heel for a couple of months now, it subsides at night and gets worse when I walk or run. Cycling doesn't seem to iritate it. I didn't think it was a problem with the tendon as such and it had me wondering. So I went to the docs this morning after a couple of months of achilles pain. She thinks it's Bursitis, an inflammation of the bursa between the achilles tendon and the heel bone. I'm off for an ultrasound to confirm it soon as I can get an appointment. If it is confirmed then it looks like cortisone injections to the area.

Anyone else had it? Treatment? Recovery period?

Thanks for any input, FoM

That sounds like Achilles Tendonitis or Bursitis.
If so it is very much a Runner's affliction.
So don't run if you can avoid it.
Cycling is therapeutic IF you take it easy on the bike.
Also try setting cleats on bike shoes as far BACK as possible, towards the heel of the shoe.

Try to avoid cortisone injections in this area, they are great for the shoulder but not so flash here.
Hope that helps, Steve.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby scotto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 am

lots of rest and ice if its bursitis.
i find bursitis to be very much over-diagnosed.
i reckon in 20yrs of practice i've seen less than a dozen cases, mostly elbow, achilles and once over the hip.
try to avoid cortisone injections anyone, but esp the achilles. some good results with platelet injections for achilles tendons lately (and tennis elbow too) http://www.prpinjection.com.au/index.html
scotto

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks Scotto,

doc diagnosed it because of the locale, the pain and swelling wasn't telltale of tendonitis and it wasn't tendonosis so it pretty much leaves one 'common' ailment.

I am glad to say that I managed Loop the Lake on Sunday without any problematic flareup. My heel is only slightly annoying now with it feeling a bit tight rather than painful like before. I haven't been running and have minimised my walking (I was doing at least 5km per day).

So now it's rest as much as possible. No running, minimise walking (catching buses rather than walk the 2.5km from the station) and no cycling for 3 weeks :cry: . (ok the doc said till it's cleared but the Cross Country season starts in 4 weekends time :roll: )
fatherofmany

Postby Jean » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Have and still get it in my left shoulder at the arm joint socket. Told nothing but rest will relieve it and had it for three years now. :(

Caused from years of gear changing in trucks. :x

+1, though not from trucking driving and not for three years. Perversely it tends to feel better after a bash on the MTB.
Jean

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:36 am

I don't notice it while riding my bike, not that there is much of that at the moment, with my work hours I am currently doing. :( (leave at 4am home 6-8pm) :evil:

Tends to reoccur with repetitive movement actions with load on the joint.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Haven't ridden since LtL on 13/3 (ok once but it was only about a km)
Haven't run (fast or far) since 11/3
Have caught the bus instead of walking (mostly)

And it's driving me crazy. I'm still walking about 2 or 3 km a day and so am still more active than lots of people. How can people be so slothful? I feel terrible just thinking about it.

On a good note, i'm not feeling pain anymore but still have a little niggle of to the right side of my ankle.

And again, don't tell my doctor that cross country season starts this weekend, I'll be testing it out on a 3km run.

If that's ok then I'm back on the bike.
fatherofmany

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

fatherofmany wrote:
And again, don't tell my doctor that cross country season starts this weekend, I'll be testing it out on a 3km run.

What's it worth? :twisted: :mrgreen:
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby R12RT » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:09 pm

I has bursitis in my left shoulder from I don't know what.

One cortisone injection and physio improved the condition reasonably quickly.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Great news. Went XC running on the weekend, decided on the 1.5 for a starter. I pushed LittlestOfMany in an old three wheel jogger we found at an op-shop for $40 as we didn't want to dirty the good pram and the run went fine. No pain suffered (ok, no injury pain suffered), the last little bit of up hill pushing a pram up a wet grassy slope hurt the quads a little. It went well although I really felt not having run for ages and not having been on the bike for 4 weeks.

Recovery wise... only a slight niggle in my right heel. It's just feels now light slight bruising behind the achilles but only when rubbed. Not like someone had layed into it with a bat like before. So I'll rest it as much as possible during the week.

Now to get back on the bike. That's rest isn't it?
fatherofmany

Postby LHT » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi FoM, I suffered from a type of tendonitis/Bursitis in both my achilles tendons when I first set of touring Aus in July last year, my tendons just weren't used to the extra strain that a heavy touring bike will offer you, even though I was fairly cycle fit to start off with I soon realised that touring fitness is a different kind to other types of riding.

My right tendon went off first only 150Km down the road from the start, I rubbed voltarin cream on it and gave it a weeks rest in Biggendon Qld. Then my 100yo Grandmother became fatally ill and i had to ride to Toowoomba quickly to see her before she passed, I just made it, but at the expense of both my heels, so my LHS tendon went then too, with the right not far behind again.

After two weeks rest in Toowoomba and applying the cream they came good, never to inflame again. They were quite bad, you could feel and hear them creaking when I flexed them, yuk.

Anyhow, the rest did the trick, they adapted to the extra load of a heavy touring bike quickly, I'm only 42 though. I found walking around was fine during the recovery, just riding seemed to stress the bursitis.

Great news you are getting better! I suppose there is only one way to see if your riding will agravate the condition??- go easy is the only advice I can offer, try to minimise the flex at the heel during the pedal rotation. I wish you the same speedy recovery I had, I can't say if the Voltarin cream helped a little or a lot though.
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that
LHT

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Well 6 weeks off the bike and only one run (both xc's missed due to rain).

I have been careful to rest as much as possible, catching the bus mostly, instead of walking to & fro the station. Today I only walked about 3km (other than walking around the house/office etc)

Good news - I woke this morning and walked without a limp, no pain in the ankle but still a little stiff. By this afternoon there was mild discomfort but it's feeling OK, I now just want to feel normal again... hurry up, I hate resting.

Bad news - for someone who has never had to be concerned about weight gain, infact I've had to be concerned about keeping it on! this is hard to admit. I've put on 4 kg in 8 weeks. Normally I eat good food but lots of it to meet the energy demands of long rides so I've been careful but not anal-retentive about eating too much while doing less. But even so... mmm. Oh well, it should come off quickly once I start cycling and running again.

FoM
fatherofmany

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 pm

^^You porker!^^ :mrgreen:

Good that it seems to be coming along well FoM . 8)
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:02 pm

MoM is visiting the doc next week, I'm sure they'll both have a chuckle about how they were right to suggest rest and not ride/run through recovery.
fatherofmany

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:54 pm

I have had a problem with bursitis over many many years - mostly my non-dominant arm for some reason. When it is particularly intractable I have found a single shot of cortisone to fix it. Sometimes all I need is rest, and ice it while I am watching TV.

You cannot use cortisone if you have any chance (whatsover!) of an infection in the area. When submitting to cortisone, your medical practitioner should be on the lookout for this anyway.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 pm

See a good physio.
Achilles tendonitis (not sure what the USS showed) has a high rate of progression to rupture, due to tendon necrosis.
A good physio will teach you "eccentric loading exercises", which are very good for resolving tendonitis. A good physio will diagnose more accurately than a GP too, and I know this cos I'm a GP.
I can suggest someone on North Side Brisbane, not sure where you are.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho

Return to Cycling Health