Exercise nausea?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
notwal

Exercise nausea?

Postby notwal » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Does anyone know of any tips for dealing with exercise nausea?
judged, insulted, gone

scotto

Re: Exercise nausea?

Postby scotto » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:00 am

you mean like this ?

i guess just take it easy until your fitness improves, be sure to drink enough while exercising and avoid heavy food prior to hard training. your gut wont digest it because the body will send all the blood to the oxygen starved muscles

notwal

Postby notwal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

That presents a bit of a quandary. If you fuel up for a long ride then you are inviting exercise nausea.

So no tricks like an anti-emetic if there is such a thing?
judged, insulted, gone

Racer

Postby Racer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:41 pm

it looks like the guy in the vid did the opposite, starved himself then hammered the water, its just like pure water he is spewing up haha.. poor bugger..

after i do a heavy ride i am always very dizzy when i stop, im almost certain its from heat, even though i drink plenty of water and keep drinkin after i stop..

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 am

It can be caused by adrenaline release hitting your stomach (body needs to up the sugars due to intense work load).

I'd say its a bit of a survival mechanism, i.e. if you're running from a tiger back in the stone age, dump the food ASAP so you're body isnt using any energy to digest it while you're running.
(though stopping to throw up seems odd! LOL)

ease up on the intensity & watch what is in your stomach - the only 2 things i can think of.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Ease off the intensity a bit until you acquire some fitness. You don't need to go all-out every time you ride.

I also cut back on the fibre for on-the-bike nutrition. White bread + jam sangers (when backed off on the intensity), sports gels and maltodextrin-based endurance racing sports drinks like Hi5 or Endura, not that Gatorade rubbish.

Other stuff like muesli bars are a bit hard to get down / keep down. Saliva production seems to dry up when I start nearing my aerobic limits.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm

scotto wrote:i guess just take it easy until your fitness improves
trailgumby wrote:Ease off the intensity a bit until you acquire some fitness.
I'm not sure it has much to do with fitness. I'd consider myself pretty fit, but I still throw up pretty often.

For me I think it's an overheating/overexertion thing. Usually happens when I smash myself on a hill, and it's more likely on a warm day.

I don't think it's got much to do with diet - I've tried eating a variety of different foods, avoiding dairy helps a little, as does eating well before I ride, but I don't think there's anything that's particularly safe.

A long warmup (~1hr) before doing anything high intensity helps a bit too.

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

lethoso wrote:
scotto wrote:i guess just take it easy until your fitness improves
trailgumby wrote:Ease off the intensity a bit until you acquire some fitness.
I'm not sure it has much to do with fitness. I'd consider myself pretty fit, but I still throw up pretty often.

For me I think it's an overheating/overexertion thing. Usually happens when I smash myself on a hill, and it's more likely on a warm day.
didnt say unfit, just get fitter - then the hill will not be so taxing, and you wont want to puke...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm

The fact you're throwing up means you're redlining.

My HR Max is 180bpm (49yo). At flat-out race pace, I can sustain 160-162bpm over an hour. I can hit mid to high 170s for short climbs, but can't keep much over 170 for long climbs or I feel like puking too.

You don't have to redline to improve your fitness. Sustained efforts (eg, 1 hour) at 90-95% of threshold will yield very handy improvements, and you can back up again in two to three days without feeling like you're dying on the bike. That is, you can do more, higher quality workouts in a given period if you don't bury yourself quite so deep.

Save smashing yourself for the last three weeks before you start your pre-race taper.

Pickles

Postby Pickles » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Been there more than once :oops: - lucky for me my mate giving words of encouragement to purge the demons :twisted: was kind enough not to pull out his phone. Looking forward to Matt posting a compromising reply on YouTube of his mate Scott - "because that's what mates do"
scotto wrote:you mean like this ?

i guess just take it easy until your fitness improves, be sure to drink enough while exercising and avoid heavy food prior to hard training. your gut wont digest it because the body will send all the blood to the oxygen starved muscles

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Exercise related nausea is caused by metabolites like ADP. Smash yourself hard enough and you may barf. FItter folk will have a higher threshold.

trainedmonkey

Postby trainedmonkey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm

What do you eat before you ride? Could it be hypoglycemia?

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:34 am

I had a football coach who would make us run up and down this big hill until we puked for pre-season training, I used to drink a large chocolate shake just before I arrived so I could get it over quicker...

Stop drinking McDonald shakes before you ride and you'll be OK.