Recovery drinks

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Recovery drinks

Postby Nitram » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:47 am

I know this kind of question probably gets asked pretty regularly, but here goes…………

At the end of my 55km morning commute (three days per week) I'm generally a bit knackered, and typically that means fairly sore thighs and a struggle to climb the four flights of stairs that I seem to find in my path ½ dozen times each day. And the ride home is a major session of suffering, so I usually catch the train some of the way.

Anyway, a month or two ago I discovered this stuff called Aussie Bodies PROTEIN REVIVAL, with 30g of protein and 30 g of carbs. AND IT WORKS !!! If I drink it I can climb the stairs no worries, if I don't, I can't without a struggle. I've tried to be scientific about it- i.e. some days drinking the stuff, and some days not. And I've tried dinking ordinary chocolate milk, or just having a sandwich instead- they don't have the same effect at all. Tried Sustagen (cause I had some here at work) and some Endura Optimiser- didn't make any difference.

So the Protein Revival is good BUT it's so bloody expensive ! Some places charge $4.50 for the 375ml container, which seems outrageous. I went to one of these body-building places here in Parramatta to see if there was some bulk powder stuff that provided the same Protein/Carb content, and they wanted $200 for a tub of the stuff.

So here's my question: has anyone found an alternative source or product that provides the same kind of protein/carb content at an affordable price ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin
Nitram

by BNA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am

BNA

Re: Recovery drinks

Postby philip » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am

Nice big glass of chocolate milk gives you all the protein/carbs you need
philip

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 am

ebay for cheap protein powders or online stores, and mix it with some maltodextrin powder.

The maltodextrin has a high insulin index - i.e. opens generates an insulin spike which "opens" your muscles to absorb what ever is in the blood stream, the protein then hitches a ride on the back of that & gets in quicker.

Any pure protein WPI/WPC and maltodextrin is what i use, mix with milk.
Nate

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

philip wrote:Nice big glass of chocolate milk gives you all the protein/carbs you need

+1

There is excellent research that chocolate milk = expensive recovery drink for effectiveness in recovery phase within 30 mins of exercise. For me I use a protein powder in full-fat milk as I couldn't keep chocolate milk in the fridge at home!
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Postby surfin' addiction » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 am

I use this http://www.maxs.com.au/index.php?sectionID=1611&pageID=4215 as a recovery drink after all my sport/exercise. It can be expensive, but it depends on where you buy it from. If you buy from a Health Food/Supplement store it's quite expensive, but I have found that if I buy it from the gym it's almost a third of the price (Iwent from spending $179 per 5kg down to $70). I surf and swim as well as cycling and used to find that when I got out of the water I could barely move my arms enough to drive the car home, but find that if I have this I bounce back a lot quicker. Sometimes I'll also have one before and after the activity, just depends on what I am doing.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.
surfin' addiction

Postby MDL » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm

surfin' addiction wrote:I use this http://www.maxs.com.au/index.php?sectionID=1611&pageID=4215 as a recovery drink after all my sport/exercise. It can be expensive, but it depends on where you buy it from. If you buy from a Health Food/Supplement store it's quite expensive, but I have found that if I buy it from the gym it's almost a third of the price (Iwent from spending $179 per 5kg down to $70). I surf and swim as well as cycling and used to find that when I got out of the water I could barely move my arms enough to drive the car home, but find that if I have this I bounce back a lot quicker. Sometimes I'll also have one before and after the activity, just depends on what I am doing.

Were are u getting this from?

MDL
MDL

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
philip wrote:Nice big glass of chocolate milk gives you all the protein/carbs you need

+1

There is excellent research that chocolate milk = expensive recovery drink for effectiveness in recovery phase within 30 mins of exercise. For me I use a protein powder in full-fat milk as I couldn't keep chocolate milk in the fridge at home!

+2.

As advised by Joe Friel in The Mountain Biker's Training Bible (my source for the idea), the key is low or no-fat milk - the fat is claimed to inhibit protein uptake. I know this is contrary to what you're doing Phil but I have noticed a slight difference in how I feel when the fridge has been empty of skim milk and I've had to opt for full fat. And that was ... not quite as well recovered by 10am.

Interesting, eh? Not so keen on the taste of skim myself, but I have been getting used to it.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I use this stuff...doesn't taste that great :lol: ...and hard to tell if it does anything,but here's a list of the ingredients.
I have faith in it thou going by the way the Before and During riding products work :shock: (they come in a kit).
Getting a bit OT I know
toolonglegs

Postby aldifan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 am

For rehydration I recommend water - It will be absorbed by your body. After all where else can it go? To quote Anton aged 9 on a schoolkid's science forum - "Will it leak out my aresehole?" :lol:

Protein takes a while to digest and absorb. Unless you are injecting amino acids directly into your bloodstream and I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS they will have little or no effect in the short term. They will of course have an effect in the longer term. Glucose is the only sugar your body uses in the end all other sugars are broken down into glucose to be used hence these energy drinks have glucose for an immediate hit and longer chain sugar and other "carbs" for more sustained inflow of energy.

The professional tennis players are drinking water (evian actually but there goes another of my pet hates) and eating banannas to maintain energy levels. One of the best re-energising foods in common use on soprting fields in this country is the almost magical half time orange.

You are paying for people to process your foodmix it up with all sorts of weird stuff and turn it into something close to what a bananna will give you. Eat a balanced nutritious, varied and hopefully tasty diet.

Fruit of almost any sort has got to be better for you than any of that manufactured rubbish. I must say though that I do like a chocolate milk and a nice capuchino (I have mine with a with a spoon of sugar) is a great way to start the day. The caffiene helps perk you up as well.

Take heart though our ancestors survived by eating the most revolting rubish. At times they would pig out quite literally on nothing but as much as they could fit in their gob of a dead animal because otherwise it would either just go off and be wasted or the other animals would get it.
aldifan

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:15 pm

You guys are getting too technical

2 bacon & egg McMuffins pre-ride + a large coffee
For the ride fill each 750 ml biddon with a can of Coke, top up with cold water
1 Hungry Jacks Whopper and large fries after the ride
:lol: :wink: :wink:
greyhoundtom

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:29 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:You guys are getting too technical

and a KFC double if you're on the atkins diet?
Nate

Recovery drinks

Postby Comedian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 pm

"If you wanna run cool you got to run on heavy heavy fuel.."

Dire straights - Heavy Fuel. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Mustang » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Love your style. Do you write training schedules?
Mustang

Postby aldifan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:50 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:2 bacon & egg McMuffins pre-ride + a large coffee

What I am impressed by most is that you have a Mcdonalds in your house. :lol:
aldifan

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 pm

A bacon & egg McMuffin contains a great range of essential pre-ride nutrients. :lol:
The muffin - carbs, sugar and fatty acids.
The bacon - meat protein and fatty acids
The cheese - milk protein and fatty acids
The egg - a powerhouse of essential amino acids

I know its all tongue in cheek, but there again I trained racing greyhounds for 40 years proffesionally with some measure of success, and I’m not kidding when I say that on a beacon & egg McMuffin for breakfast and one for lunch they raced far better than on any other pre-race food I ever tried them on, including all the so called scientifically balanced foods available for just that purpose.
greyhoundtom

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:02 pm

:lol: When I was getting ready for a club ride the other day I mixed up one of my super duper pre ride drinks...had to drop the kids off beforehand and by mistake drove out of the drive way with half full bottle on the roof of the car...fell off and I grabbed the bottle (it was one with Igor Anton's name on from a roadside pickup a few years ago :D )...anyway the big splash on the road is still there 5 days later,it has even rained since!...waiting for the road to start dissolving! :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby surfin' addiction » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:42 pm

MDL wrote:
surfin' addiction wrote:I use this http://www.maxs.com.au/index.php?sectionID=1611&pageID=4215 as a recovery drink after all my sport/exercise. It can be expensive, but it depends on where you buy it from. If you buy from a Health Food/Supplement store it's quite expensive, but I have found that if I buy it from the gym it's almost a third of the price (Iwent from spending $179 per 5kg down to $70). I surf and swim as well as cycling and used to find that when I got out of the water I could barely move my arms enough to drive the car home, but find that if I have this I bounce back a lot quicker. Sometimes I'll also have one before and after the activity, just depends on what I am doing.

Were are u getting this from?

MDL

MDL, the cheapest place I have found the Max's stuff was through Doherty's 24/7 gym in Dandenong (VIC). I'm not really a gym person myself, so I found it a bit daunting walking in there and asking this massive body builder type for this protein powder cause I'm only a pretty small bloke. But it's worth the few minutes of awkwardness to save the money. There is also a discount health foopd store on Elizabeth St. in Melbourne that is cheaper than most places, but still not as cheap as the gym's.

Hope that helps.
-Josh-

Whips: Merida Racelite 905, Apollo Record Track, Norco Sasquatch.
surfin' addiction

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:55 pm

What outcome measures have people used to support their use of fancy/$$$ recovery drinks? How about milk at $1/L from Coles?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

sogood wrote:What outcome measures have people used to support their use of fancy/$$$ recovery drinks? How about milk at $1/L from Coles?

Yep. My point exactly. Research shows chocolate milk is better or equal to recovery drinks.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but save the money for the bike. It's all about the bike isn't it, not the recovery drink. :roll:
ValleyForge

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm

I paid $200 US for enough drinks Before/During/After for about 150 rides...cheaper than buying a chocolate milk at Coles.
No bubble to burst...I know what this stuff does.
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:30 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
sogood wrote:What outcome measures have people used to support their use of fancy/$$$ recovery drinks? How about milk at $1/L from Coles?

Yep. My point exactly. Research shows chocolate milk is better or equal to recovery drinks.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but save the money for the bike. It's all about the bike isn't it, not the recovery drink. :roll:

Better show us the research then.
toolonglegs

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Posted about a year ago.

Now where did I put it.....
ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Posted about a year ago.

Now where did I put it.....

Title: Acute effects of chocolate milk and a commercial recovery beverage on postexercise recovery indices and endurance cycling performance.

Abbreviated Source: Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 34(6):1017-22, 2009 Dec.

There is another paper on a lager group from one of the UK universities, where chocolate milk was the placebo arm in a group for moderate fitness cyclists, exercising to exhaustion. Found that across the range of recovery drinks, none bettered placebo (chocolate milk) and many were worse from memory. Was a better paper, but the reference isn't at my finger tips at present: I think it was the same journal.
ValleyForge

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Nitram wrote:I know this kind of question probably gets asked pretty regularly, but here goes…………

At the end of my 55km morning commute (three days per week) I'm generally a bit knackered, and typically that means fairly sore thighs and a struggle to climb the four flights of stairs that I seem to find in my path ½ dozen times each day. And the ride home is a major session of suffering, so I usually catch the train some of the way.

Anyway, a month or two ago I discovered this stuff called Aussie Bodies PROTEIN REVIVAL, with 30g of protein and 30 g of carbs. AND IT WORKS !!! If I drink it I can climb the stairs no worries, if I don't, I can't without a struggle. I've tried to be scientific about it- i.e. some days drinking the stuff, and some days not. And I've tried dinking ordinary chocolate milk, or just having a sandwich instead- they don't have the same effect at all. Tried Sustagen (cause I had some here at work) and some Endura Optimiser- didn't make any difference.

So the Protein Revival is good BUT it's so bloody expensive ! Some places charge $4.50 for the 375ml container, which seems outrageous. I went to one of these body-building places here in Parramatta to see if there was some bulk powder stuff that provided the same Protein/Carb content, and they wanted $200 for a tub of the stuff.

So here's my question: has anyone found an alternative source or product that provides the same kind of protein/carb content at an affordable price ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Your body wants protein, and lots of it after a big ride, for muscle repair and growth, it will also want a LOT of water, max out on cold water, it helps the nutriants get in your blood to get to the muscles. protein / whey powders work well, both before and after a big session, look for one low in sugar, but the good protein and whey ones should have almost no added sugar in them.

Martin
Eugene

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

And another one:
Title: Chocolate milk as a post-exercise recovery aid.

Abbreviated Source: Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 16(1):78-91, 2006 Feb.
ValleyForge

Next

Return to Cycling Health