60km ride advice

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

60km ride advice

Postby gtfpv cycler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:49 pm

hi i did my 1st 60km ride today , did a 50 k ride last week , anyhow . i at a tub of yoghurt and 3 weetbix and a glass of 1/2 juice water before i left . 1hr 30 min before . i had no trouble doing the ride but only had 500ml drink bottle which ran out after 45km .i did the trip in 2hr 27 minutes av 24.5 kms an hour . the last 2 kms were hard , i couldnt wait to get off . however i felt if i'd had more time , i couldve done 80k . anyways , i'm glad i kalled it quits after 60km as i was out of water/cordial .
when i got home i had a glass of water , and an hour later another glass , i have no appetite and feel like i couldnt eat at the moment . i have a very minor stomach ache .
i am glad i didnt go further .even though i could , i'm not sure at which point i would not be doing myself justice .
if i were to ride 100kms , i would have to stop at 50km and i would have to do a more leisurely ride i think .
anyone know why the stomach cramp and no appetite after a 2 1/2 hour exercise regime ?? :?: :?:
gtfpv cycler

by BNA » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

BNA

Re: 60km ride advice

Postby TimW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Not sure why you cramped but as a guide here is what i do.
I ride 60 k most days 6 days per week. Before a ride i will eat a Banana.I take 2 water bottles,one filled with water, one with gatorade.After the first hour i will eat either a gel or a muesli bar or similar, and drink the gatorade alternately with the water.
After the ride, i will either have a protein shake with skim milk.Or chicken on wholemeal toast, or a cut up banana on wholemeal toast with honey.

Then for the rest of the day i will eat every two hours or so,(Apples,youghurt,fruit salad etc) not big meals except dinner.

I find the previous nights meal plus the banana in the morning is enough to get me through the first hour of riding, then top up as required after that.

the rule i have learnt off others is drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry, and the riding will then look after itself.

I would suggest on a 60 k ride you would need a minimum of two water bottles, then top up as required during the ride depending on heat etc.
I hope this is of some help.Tim
TimW

Postby Toolish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Mate, it really depends on what riding you have done in the past and your current fitness level.

I only started riding a couple of years ago and I remember getting excited about a 30km ride, totally spent at the end, fast forward about 20 months and I did a 90km ride as part of a triathlon and got off feeling well enough to run 17km (we won't talk about the last 4km of the run!).

What I am trying to say is build it up over time, if it is your longest ride ever then you will feel spent and personally my appetite goes away for a bit then later in the day comes on strong.

Also, 500ml of water for 60km is not much, it is probably a bit of a dehydration issue. Can you carry more water, or find a water stop or something.
Toolish

Postby gtfpv cycler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:05 pm

TimW wrote:Not sure why you cramped but as a guide here is what i do.
I ride 60 k most days 6 days per week. Before a ride i will eat a Banana.I take 2 water bottles,one filled with water, one with gatorade.After the first hour i will eat either a gel or a muesli bar or similar, and drink the gatorade alternately with the water.
After the ride, i will either have a protein shake with skim milk.Or chicken on wholemeal toast, or a cut up banana on wholemeal toast with honey.

Then for the rest of the day i will eat every two hours or so,(Apples,youghurt,fruit salad etc) not big meals except dinner.

I find the previous nights meal plus the banana in the morning is enough to get me through the first hour of riding, then top up as required after that.

the rule i have learnt off others is drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry, and the riding will then look after itself.

I would suggest on a 60 k ride you would need a minimum of two water bottles, then top up as required during the ride depending on heat etc.

good advice . i reaaly think i ate enough food too , and have eaten an apple since back .
how do you take 2 bottles , do you have a back sack , or are they both on the frame .
gtfpv cycler

Postby gtfpv cycler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Toolish wrote:Mate, it really depends on what riding you have done in the past and your current fitness level.

I only started riding a couple of years ago and I remember getting excited about a 30km ride, totally spent at the end, fast forward about 20 months and I did a 90km ride as part of a triathlon and got off feeling well enough to run 17km (we won't talk about the last 4km of the run!).

What I am trying to say is build it up over time, if it is your longest ride ever then you will feel spent and personally my appetite goes away for a bit then later in the day comes on strong.

Also, 500ml of water for 60km is not much, it is probably a bit of a dehydration issue. Can you carry more water, or find a water stop or something.

thanks for the reply . the 20th of march was my 1st bike ride in 10 years , i have come on strong , and getting fit quickly , but in hind site, starting out spent after 10kms to now doing 50- 60km rides is probably coming on strong . feel good though . i guess if i'm going to look at endurance , i might have to back off on the time trial . 24 to 25km average for me is pushing it hard , especially over this distance and going up and down hills with headwinds etc .
its a big learning curve
gtfpv cycler

Postby TimW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:
TimW wrote:Not sure why you cramped but as a guide here is what i do.

good advice . i reaaly think i ate enough food too , and have eaten an apple since back .
how do you take 2 bottles , do you have a back sack , or are they both on the frame .

Both on the frame.In the heat of summer i also take a camelbak, but around this time of year it's not necessary, plus on my routes there are service stations where i can fill up if needed.Tim
TimW

Postby David_G » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm in a similar situation to you, my regular ride is about 60km on Sat and Sunday mornings. The first time was back in about August and it nearly killed me. Then I started getting to the half way point, and taking anything up to an hour to caffiene up, read the paper and have a window shop. Now I get there, have a coffee fill my bottle and I'm off in 10 minutes or so, I have a 500ml bottle and drink most of it each way, I'm getting better at drinking a bit every 15 or 20 minutes before I start to feel thirsty. I've done it in two hours thirty minutes on my best ride. It's a very flat ride around Port Phillip from Frankston to Black Rock, which has been perfect for me to build some stamina. When I get home I have a couple of slices of toast with fruit spread before I go and a muesli bar at the half way point.
When I get home I tend to have some more water, and another slice of toast or two. I'm not very hungry for the rest of the day and since all this started I've lost 4kg so I am very happy with that. If I ride midweek my appetite is a bit less as well. Maybe my stomach is compressed from all the tummy crunching/pedalling. Whatever it is I'm looking to lose another 3 or 4kg and I'll be the happiest bloke around.
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:32 am

David_G wrote:I'm in a similar situation to you, my regular ride is about 60km on Sat and Sunday mornings. The first time was back in about August and it nearly killed me. Then I started getting to the half way point, and taking anything up to an hour to caffiene up, read the paper and have a window shop. Now I get there, have a coffee fill my bottle and I'm off in 10 minutes or so, I have a 500ml bottle and drink most of it each way, I'm getting better at drinking a bit every 15 or 20 minutes before I start to feel thirsty. I've done it in two hours thirty minutes on my best ride. It's a very flat ride around Port Phillip from Frankston to Black Rock, which has been perfect for me to build some stamina. When I get home I have a couple of slices of toast with fruit spread before I go and a muesli bar at the half way point.
When I get home I tend to have some more water, and another slice of toast or two. I'm not very hungry for the rest of the day and since all this started I've lost 4kg so I am very happy with that. If I ride midweek my appetite is a bit less as well. Maybe my stomach is compressed from all the tummy crunching/pedalling. Whatever it is I'm looking to lose another 3 or 4kg and I'll be the happiest bloke around.

your not wrong mate sounds like your in a very similar situation to me . thanks for the tips .
gtfpv cycler

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:54 am

The more you ride the better your endurance. If you do it at least weekly, in a matter of 2-3 months, 60km will feel like a walk in the park. Then a significant ride will be nothing less than 100km. The question then is how much time you have to spare. 2 bottles of water or known refill station is a must for these longer rides.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby MikeyD360 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:30 pm

I did my first 60k'er too last week - 62.3km
previous biggest ride was 33km, and I ran out of fluid so knew this would be an issue and invested in another bottle cage - was very handy.

Next time I will plan a short stop in the middle, as 60km non-stop was a bit boring, especially on my own. and without sunscreen... in the middle of the day... :(

Bright side was over 3,000 calories burnt according to the HRM (12,000kJ) which was phenomenal really and meant I felt less guilty about having pizza later on in the day :)

I also learnt that the power gel things are disgusting.. I would rather die on the side of the road than eat another one of those sugary chocolate goop things.

2 bottles a must for 50km+ and a stop is my advice.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

There are other gel brands out there. Try a few different ones before writing them all off. I rather like the banana High5s. Not excessively sweet. When I'm going hard, I can't get solid stuff down.

1 x 750ml bidon with isotonic hydration drink + 1 gel per hour at high-intensity training pace does me - I can complete the ride non stop with that.

If the pace is a little more relaxed, white bread berry jam sandwiches are also a good top-up for carbs.

For the hydration drink, I recommend against supermarket stuff that is sucrose based like Gatorade or Powerade. The sugar gives you an insulin spike and then dumps you - not very pleasant. Products like Endura, High5 and Torc are much better. They give you a sustained burn and don;t dump you.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 am

just take it easy guys, i dont know what to say , i ended up with pneumonia , dont know if it was from going from nothing to 60km rides or 180kms a week in the space of 6 weeks and losing 5kgs , or just random co incidence . some people havge said they think i went too hard too soon and lowered my immunity .
i really dont know , but i havent been able to ride for 2 weeks .
when i get better again , i wont know how or where to start . . just beware , and maybe some sort of personal training might be the go .
gtfpv cycler

Postby wombatK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 am

gtfpv cycler wrote: i really dont know , but i havent been able to ride for 2 weeks .
when i get better again , i wont know how or where to start . . just beware , and maybe some sort of personal training might be the go .

No-one can tell you where you got the pneumonia from, but ramping up your exercise as quickly as you did could leave you a bit depleted and vulnerable. You haven't mentioned what sort of recovery period you've allowed in building up your 180 km per week - failing to allow recovery days is a huge pitfall that catches lots of people out (google over-training !).

Just take things a bit easier when you're fit enough to go again. Focussing on doing regular shorter distances and slowly increasing your average speed might be more effective than trying to hit long distances. There isn't anything magical about riding 100 km - and it's well beyond what medical advisers mean when they recommend moderate exercise.

Others have mentioned the hydration, and your pre-ride meal might be a bit much. Think smaller, more often on this facet too. For example, cut the pre-ride tub of yogurt or weet-bix out. Instead, you could take a couple weet-bix with you and eat them along the way maybe one every hour (e.g. weet-bix with a bit of jam or vegemite spread on them). Bananas are expensive at the moment, but are a great on-ride snack and lots of riders swear by vegemite or jam sandwiches.

But above all, don't be too hard on yourself or let it undermine your confidence. Congratulate yourself for making the effort to get fit, and just build on what you've learned.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby MikeyD360 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:56 am

The other thing I forgot to mention if you are going on a long ride, invest in a comfy saddle and some gel padded gloves... nothing saps the motivation more than a painful rump or wrists.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Postby gururug » Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Pinch of salt or some electrolites in 1 bottle and snack ( nuts / fruit ) every 25kms.
gururug

Postby TrekStar » Sat May 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Magnesium supplements might help. I use this as it has magnesium too: http://www.endura.com.au/products/endura-rehydration
TrekStar

60km ride advice

Postby Redbull » Sat May 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Ride more, drink more. 60ks doesn't need food or supplements.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby hosko » Sun May 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I have been riding since about March this year, and during our lunch time rides we do between 18-22 kms a few times a week.

Almost 3 months into it and with that alone as training did a century yesterday. Quite flat for most of the part however you do notice any hills by the end of the ride!

What I did for two days before was hydrate! Water, more water, and more water again. Also I ate food which had a fair bit of carb the night before, some coco-pops and milk for brekky and took a nut bar with me and some more water on the trip.

We had a coffee about 1/2 way and some Gatorade at about 3/4 the way.

I think what got me around was the water. I was spent at the end of the ride however we didn't push ourselves and averaged around 25km/h for the whole ride.

Highly recommend though building up to it. I am only 32 have an ok fitness level which does need to improve, however it sounds like doing those 50km/60km rides is a great way to start. But water is a big key to it imo, get yourself hydrated as much as you can before riding.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2
hosko

Postby gtfpv cycler » Mon May 30, 2011 3:36 pm

yeah i think 60km rides is plenty , enough . i dont think you need food on the way , but need about 1.2 litres , 2 by 600mls of fluid on the ride , perhaps a 5 min break on the way .
i was going fo0r time records on the rides as thats how i ride , however after my break from riding , i will now try to enjoy the ride as well , and not worry so much about speed . really looking forward to a 20km ride , and if it wasnt rainng today . i'd be out there .
i think i might stick to about 80to 100km p week , over 3 rides . thats my aim from now on .
gtfpv cycler

Postby dbellew » Mon May 30, 2011 9:52 pm

I too had my first 60km ride today. I have been steadily building from 20km - 40km with a group of local dads looking to lose weight and stay active.

2hours 25 wasn't too bad in this wet Sydney weather although I did have my first experience with bad drivers; had a head on at low speed with a driver in my lane. All ok except the bike. The steel stallion is buckled and has a nasty bend in the frame.

On the 60km topic, I find having a sports drink 30 mins prior to riding is beneficial. I also found a small chocolate bar was much appreciated at the 35km mark.

Cheers,
Damien.
dbellew

Postby Fe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 pm

As long as you moderate your hydration and sodium levels, 60km should be straight forward.

If I’m riding 30km, I don’t need to take in any nutrition on the ride. For 60km, I take 600ml of water and a muesli bar/ choc bar for energy/sodium. In summer I add 20-40% more hydration/sodium intake. I keep doubling nutrition intake for every 30km I add on top of that.

A friend of mine gets excessive cramps. So he washed down sodium/electrolyte capsules every 20km. Poor bastard….
Fe

Postby Parker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Redbull wrote:Ride more, drink more. 60ks doesn't need food or supplements.

+ 1

Supplements arent required
Parker

Postby GreyhoundCycle » Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm

It's not totally about the distance but also duration.

I normally do 60km rides up and down a local mountain, don't need food, and can do with 1 bottle of water if run a bit dehydrated. 2-2.5 hour ride. I have done 100+km multiple times so not unfamiliar with rides in the 60s range.

However, last weekend, went out to ride 80km with slow friends, I estimated I need 3 hours, but it took 4.5 hours. I ate 3-4 bars, 3 bottles of water and ended up hungry and cramping.

Time on the saddle can be as important as distance covered.
GreyhoundCycle

Postby Meditator » Sat May 05, 2012 3:09 am

deleted. I just realised this post was started in 2011. Gosh what can people be talking about now?
Meditator

Postby jamesn184 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:48 pm

May aswell add my experiences so far with 70k + rides.
I usually do around 70k in 2hr 25-30mins and was just having water during the ride and a gatorade after, but I'm now taking either gatorade powder or energy gels with me to have at the 2hr mark of the ride then having the recovery drink afterwards. As I found out last week if I don't do this my body crashes

Since I ride early morning I just have breakfast which is usually 5-6 wheetbix or quaker oats with a coffee
jamesn184

Next

Return to Cycling Health