60km ride advice

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Meditator

Re: 60km ride advice

Postby Meditator » Sun May 06, 2012 2:35 pm

mmmm yum weetbix.

RonK

60km ride advice

Postby RonK » Sun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Since I leave home by 5:30am, there is no time (or appetite) to eat before leaving. I can do a 60km ride comfortably with nothing more than water to drink. On a 100km ride I'll hit the wall if I don't eat, so always stop at a bakery for a cake and a Powerade.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hkgts

Postby hkgts » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:58 pm

As a general rule I take one mouthful of water every 10mins during a ride (any distance). If you wait till your thirsty it's too late and drinking too much won't do you any good. The only variables for me are distance (more water bottles) and hotter temp/weather (more regular mouthfuls).

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 am

Like a few other posters, I don't take any special preparations for a 60km ride, most days it is a 45km commute to work, with a couple of intervals thrown in. In summer I will have a bidon of water and another bidon with a sports drink. Rest of the year a single bidon of water will suffice.

Even for longer riders 120km or so, I don't plan, take food or anything more than the same number of bidons I take to work. However, I do know where I can get resupplied from and are always willing to stop for coffee and muffin (or tea & cake on the 100km Thursday rides).

Racing I am a little more fuel conscious, make sure I eat a carb heavy meal the night before and consume a can of coke and a snickers (or similar) bar 30 minutes before a race. Still I will only drink water during a race, but the are usually just over an hour.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 pm

60km ride = just water, but then I'm going pretty slow.

On a 160km ride I could eat an elephant.

Go figure.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells