Getting numb

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Getting numb

Postby revinR1 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:02 am

Yes Im a bloke so its me bits keep getting numb. Bike is a Giant Cypress. Just seems that if I riding it for more than 20minutes straight, my man bits go numb. Just wondering what people suggest to do to try and stop this happening. I am going to tilt the seat back a small amount as it feels while riding to be pushing/sliding me forward. Any other suggestions
revinR1

by BNA » Sun May 29, 2011 12:33 pm

BNA

Re: Getting numb

Postby Oxford » Sun May 29, 2011 12:33 pm

bike is largely irrelevant, what type of seat is it? were you fitted for the seat? were you fitted to the bike? what are you wearing to cycle in?
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby ozrider » Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Go for a cut out seat, you'll never look back.

Oops, Sorry, should have checked first, you already have a cut out.
Last edited by ozrider on Sun May 29, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies, they're really good for nothing..

..But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
ozrider

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Feels like you're sliding forward? Saddle position is wrong. Tilting up is one possibility.
It'll take a slow trial and error process to be absolutely sure. Adjust, (by small amounts) ride for a week and reconsider. Keep a log of what you are doing so you can revert easily if you find adjustment x is not working.

Read Sheldons view on saddle position and any other fit expert you can Google.

One question. While riding can you take the hands off the bars and maintain the same upper body position without strain?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby hosko » Sun May 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:One question. While riding can you take the hands off the bars and maintain the same upper body position without strain?

Best piece of advice anyone gave me during my initial setup of my bike was this.

On my ride yesterday I ended up working out my seat was a few degrees too far tilted down, adjusted it up a little so that it was only slightly down at the front and I could immediately notice the difference. The reason I made that change was the palms of my hands were numbing. No issues from that point on and could easily remove my hands from the bars, continue riding with taking food of my pocket...etc

Try and get the current seat in a different position which will save you some $$$ if you can. If not, those cut out seats might be the option. Maybe your LBS can help if you're unsure?
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2
hosko

Postby revinR1 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks guys.
Answer to a few Questions.
I use a pair of nicks (lyrca shorts with padding netti brand)
The seat is standard Giant, Basically a wide arse type with smallish springs at the rear. Have been thinking getting another seat,because this has never happened to me on other bike (not that I`ve ridden much before :oops: )
I do have to straighten up my back and sit up a little but the yes I can ride no handed (do that explain correctly)

Will move seat today 1mm or so and if it dont rain give it a try :mrgreen:
revinR1

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 30, 2011 9:20 am

Not so much ride no handed, I have to sit up to do that too. The question refers to how much weight is supported by your arms. Too much and not only your shoulders will suffer.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby revinR1 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I guess they are OK as I dont seem to get any arm/shoulder/lower back soreness. Only numbing of me man bits :oops:

Rained here today anyway but I did move my seat and just riding round the back yard it felt better.Due back to work this week so rain should clear and hopefully I`ll get a ride on Saturday arvo
revinR1

Postby wombatK » Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Bits are going numb most likely due to one of two things : pressure on a nerve, or blood supply being choked. A frequent cause of this is bearing weight on places that aren't meant for bearing weight. Your sit bones are meant for bearing weight. Sit on too-narrow a seat, and you'll put weight on your perineum - and make it go numb.

If you have measured your sit bones, and checked that the saddle properly supports them (i.e. is a cm or more wider all round), then look for what else might be putting weight where it shouldn't go. Like saddle tip being too high, too wide, or letting your ass slide too far forward on the saddle (so that sit-bones aren't taking the weight anymore).

If you haven't measured your sit bones, see this thread for tips viewtopic.php?t=19126&start=14 .

If all else fails, buy a brooks saddle. Nobody ever regrets that.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby BarryTas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm

i have a new seat, like the one pictured above.....................with the cold winter approaching, i will see how it goes, but i think it has more to do with the temperature :(
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

Postby m@ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

revinR1 wrote:The seat is standard Giant, Basically a wide arse type with smallish springs at the rear. Have been thinking getting another seat,because this has never happened to me on other bike (not that I`ve ridden much before :oops: )

The stock saddles I've seen on some Giant hybrids have very deep padding; this might be part of the problem. They're designed to be comfortable riding 2Km along a bike path in jeans, but on longer rides your sit bones sink into the padding and put pressure on your pereneum.

Barry, sounds like you need to get yourself down to Salamanca market and pick up a merino/possum fur blend beanie to slip down your knicks! :lol:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Cycling Health