MTB Warrior needs advice re quaddies, energy levels

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nick - Pie Man

MTB Warrior needs advice re quaddies, energy levels

Postby Nick - Pie Man » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 am

I have been riding my bike every day for the past six weeks or so. At a minimum, just to and from the railway station. I might do half an hour of riding each way.

When I started out I was quite slow and unfit but I have managed to increase my fitness and get some proper speed and power into my legs. I've started doing longer rides on the weekend - hoping to crack a 50km ride soon.

Up until last week everything was super. But now I am getting sluggish. It's more of an effort to do the same ride and the same speeds that I have been doing even a week ago. The quaddies are burning more than they 'should' be, and while I am better at pushing through the 'pain' I don't think that I should be feeling it in the first place. They also aren't delivering as much power as they used to. It is taking longer for me to accellerate and it is harder to hold a high speed.

Is it possible that I am pushing my quads too far? Are they crying out for a break? A part of me is thinking that I should take a few days off the bike to recover. But it's not like I'm doing massive workouts. :?:

triangle

Re: MTB Warrior needs advice re quaddies, energy levels

Postby triangle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Take a break for a few days and see how you feel. Listen to your body - it sure sounds to me like it is telling you it needs a rest. Best thing is, it is when you rest that your body adapts and grows in fitness so it's a good thing, not a bad thing :-)

albe

Postby albe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am

yeah i'd give it a break for a day or so in between rides, maybe alternate between riding and car/bus for a period. Even try out a longer ride on the weekend to vary your distances a bit? Might help with the shorter trips if u do the occasional longish ride.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

Assuming it is a not a mechanical problem with your bike (e.g. air pressure in tyres, brake rubbing on the rims / disc, bearings failing in the hubs).. then it is either physical or mental.
Perhaps try a different route - vary it every now and again.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:I have been riding my bike every day for the past six weeks or so. At a minimum, just to and from the railway station. I might do half an hour of riding each way.
triangle wrote:Take a break for a few days and see how you feel. Listen to your body - it sure sounds to me like it is telling you it needs a rest. Best thing is, it is when you rest that your body adapts and grows in fitness so it's a good thing, not a bad thing :-)
+1

Sounds to me as though you're probably overtraining. As a rule of thumb, try to take a day off each week and have a recovery week out of every four-five weeks. This doesn't necessarily mean you don't ride at all, but reduce the distance and intensity.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:18 pm

if i thought to myself ... back to basics
1. are you stretching ? silly but I had to learn it the hard way
2. are you giving your body enough energy ? might be body exhaustion