The true cost of not being fit

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 am

Sydguy wrote: One thing I notice about Asia is they will tell you if your fat, the stigma attached to obesity acts to keep it uncommon. Rightly or wrongly.

And rightly or wrongly other cultures have the exact opposite. Some polynesian communities, as an example. And you've only got to look at Renaissance painting or two to realise there has been an admiration of fat in western society too. Why else are so many Americans (and increasingly, Australians) fat ?

I do like your idea of fat camps - but let's not just limit it to kids. I'd especially make it compulsory for anyone with morbid obesity or obesity related disease before resorting to gastric surgery.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5248
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

by BNA » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

BNA
 

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

wombatK wrote:
Sydguy wrote: One thing I notice about Asia is they will tell you if your fat, the stigma attached to obesity acts to keep it uncommon. Rightly or wrongly.

And rightly or wrongly other cultures have the exact opposite. Some polynesian communities, as an example. And you've only got to look at Renaissance painting or two to realise there has been an admiration of fat in western society too. Why else are so many Americans (and increasingly, Australians) fat ?

I do like your idea of fat camps - but let's not just limit it to kids. I'd especially make it compulsory for anyone with morbid obesity or obesity related disease before resorting to gastric surgery.

It's the scarcity thing.

In Renaissance times, getting adequate nutrition was a problem. Being fat said you were rich and successful. These days, having enough time to exercise and get toned says you are rich and successful.
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:19 am

trailgumby wrote:
wombatK wrote:
Sydguy wrote: One thing I notice about Asia is they will tell you if your fat, the stigma attached to obesity acts to keep it uncommon. Rightly or wrongly.

And rightly or wrongly other cultures have the exact opposite. Some polynesian communities, as an example. And you've only got to look at Renaissance painting or two to realise there has been an admiration of fat in western society too. Why else are so many Americans (and increasingly, Australians) fat ?

I do like your idea of fat camps - but let's not just limit it to kids. I'd especially make it compulsory for anyone with morbid obesity or obesity related disease before resorting to gastric surgery.

It's the scarcity thing.

In Renaissance times, getting adequate nutrition was a problem. Being fat said you were rich and successful. These days, having enough time to exercise and get toned says you are rich and successful.


Natural selection I say,

Let the fatties be fat, let the smokers smoke, let the dumb ones drink themselves to death, just don't let them breed.

We need a way to stop the above from having children, also do away with warning labels and safety all stuff inc helmets, airbags, ABS brakes, seat belts etc etc , if your dumb enough to stick a knife in a toaster, there is a fair chance you are not smart enough get through life, so let nature take its coarse, the smart and strong survive and breed, the dumb and slow die. sounds fair to me.
Eugene
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Nick - Pie Man » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am

Sydguy wrote:Sick of huge people on the trains when I infrequently get them. Rushing on to take up 1.5 seats because they can't stand up for long. Or squeezing into the seat and basically sitting on your thigh...


I'm no fatty but I take up 1.5 seats (my baggies take the remaining 0.5) because I hate people and sitting next to them and I like to make them as uncomfortable as possible.
Nick - Pie Man
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: WINNING

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby simonn » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

Eugene wrote:We need a way to stop the above from having children, also do away with warning labels and safety all stuff inc helmets, airbags, ABS brakes, seat belts etc etc , if your dumb enough to stick a knife in a toaster, there is a fair chance you are not smart enough get through life, so let nature take its coarse, the smart and strong survive and breed, the dumb and slow die. sounds fair to me.


What about people who are not smart enough to spell or understand the meaning behind survival of the fittest?

/justsayin
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:39 am

simonn wrote:What about people who are not smart enough to spell or understand the meaning behind survival of the fittest?

Then they must be the most natural of all! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm

OK how much of my tax dollars is spent on hospitalizations directly caused by poor food choices and inactivity?
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14861
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:56 pm

mikesbytes wrote:OK how much of my tax dollars is spent on hospitalizations directly caused by poor food choices and inactivity?

Life is a terminal disease.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

The true cost of not being fit

Postby Redbull » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Are you blokes for real, or am I missing the sarcasm emoticom?
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
User avatar
Redbull
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Rockingham

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby winstonw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 pm

mikesbytes wrote:OK how much of my tax dollars is spent on hospitalizations directly caused by poor food choices and inactivity?


My issue with many well intentioned socialist inspired initiatives is they don't know how to discriminate between what nature and nurture dispense.

In other words, where does personal responsibility begin and end, in complex societies where food security is outsourced, and probably a whole lot of other stuff, like trusting that the bicycle frame you are sitting on is engineered within safe tolerances. :?
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Redbull wrote:Are you blokes for real, or am I missing the sarcasm emoticom?


I think there may be a bit of an each way bet, I know its "wrong" to think like that, but cant help but think it may be a better world if it happened, I would more than likely be cannon fodder, but who knows.
Eugene
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:56 pm

This thread started out with smoking and turned to being fat . however relating to fitness is a good subject . i think not being fit definately shortens quality of life and longevity . i also think now mental health is also important and not 100 % directly related to fitness . i think money will become a real contributor to ill health in the near future ( maybe as much as smoking and alcohol and drugs ) the worst part being , its easy to address and give up smoking /alcohol and drugs if you really really want to chase fitness , money on the other hand isnt a choice where you can just get more in order not to struggle through life . i think money will oertake these other things and destroy health and fitness , along with these other things .
as far as i'm concerned in my 2nd half of life i intend to work harder at being fit , than i did in my 1st , and i hope it increases my long term out look , i feel very ounfit if i am just 10kgs over weight , i dont understand how fat people can even breathe .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm not trying to attribute blame to those who have made poor lifestyle choices, there are many reasons for this and advertising plays a part of that.

The question is, what is our tax dollars being used for and what can be done to reduce that cost
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14861
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 pm

mikesbytes wrote:OK how much of my tax dollars is spent on hospitalizations directly caused by poor food choices and inactivity?


How much of my tax dollars is spent on hospitalisations of cyclists falling off their bikes? :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby jheeno » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:19 pm

tv and computer games
sure they are fun on occasion but when a mate plans on playing computer games all weekends ... you wonder how healthy he is
Image
jheeno
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 am

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:24 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The question is, what is our tax dollars being used for and what can be done to reduce that cost

Eliminate all retired elderly in the society and health cost will come down in a big way. Of course, that's completely unacceptable in a healthy society.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Simply stop treating the illnesses that are self inflicted.

Such as:
Lung cancer for those that smoked both cigarettes and/or marijuana.
Skin cancer because they did not protect their skin appropriately.
Diabetes due to obesity.
In fact all illnesses directly due to obesity.
Vascular or heart problems due to obesity or smoking tobacco.
Liver damage and liver cancer due to excessive alcohol consumption.
Kidney damage due to drug use.
In fact all illnesses caused by use of illegal drugs, including mental illness caused by drug use.
Injuries caused by car crashes if excessive speed, alcohol or drug use contributed to the crash.
Brain damage if the sufferer regardless of how it was caused was not wearing a helmet.

Mmmm I’m sure you guys could come up with a few more SELF INFLICTED illnesses and injuries that do not deserve being treated in our overcrowded and expensive health system. :roll:
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 pm

It could be hard to prove that those illnesses were directly caused from smoking/obesity etc. It may just be in that person's genes. For example my father died of a heart attack, he would walk 10km a day and swim laps of the local pool as well. He had Cancer before that but had chemo and got over it (or was in remission). My mother died of Cancer, it started in her lungs and spread to other parts of her body. She was a smoker. I don't smoke, ride my bike hundreds of km each week but chances are I will die of heart attack or Cancer.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:42 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Simply stop treating the illnesses that are self inflicted.
Such as:...

Problem is, one can't be 100% sure of the causal attribution for any particular patient. Certain actions will increase the probability, but typically it's not 100% chance.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby scotto » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Image
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby r2160 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:16 pm

maybe we need to start to set the medicare levy at bmi rather than income . . .

just a thought

glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong
r2160
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:01 pm
Location: Bass Hill, NSW

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Eugene wrote:Natural selection I say,

Let the fatties be fat, let the smokers smoke, let the dumb ones drink themselves to death, just don't let them breed.

We need a way to stop the above from having children, also do away with warning labels and safety all stuff inc helmets, airbags, ABS brakes, seat belts etc etc , if your dumb enough to stick a knife in a toaster, there is a fair chance you are not smart enough get through life, so let nature take its coarse, the smart and strong survive and breed, the dumb and slow die. sounds fair to me.

The trouble is, if you are going to follow that paradigm, the consequences don't come home to roost until well after breeding age.

What I'd like to know is how we can make the above apply to people with such poor communication skills that they don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're", "course" or "coarse", or how to use capital letters at the start of sentences and full stops at the end. :lol:

Care to volunteer, Eugene? We could name a whole branch of science after you. How does "Eugenics" sound?

Oh, wait...
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: The true cost of not being fit

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:35 pm

trailgumby wrote:Oh, wait...

:lol: Brilliant!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26012
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

The true cost of not being fit

Postby Redbull » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Simply stop treating the illnesses that are self inflicted.

Such as:
Lung cancer for those that smoked both cigarettes and/or marijuana.
Skin cancer because they did not protect their skin appropriately.
Diabetes due to obesity.
In fact all illnesses directly due to obesity.
Vascular or heart problems due to obesity or smoking tobacco.
Liver damage and liver cancer due to excessive alcohol consumption.
Kidney damage due to drug use.
In fact all illnesses caused by use of illegal drugs, including mental illness caused by drug use.
Injuries caused by car crashes if excessive speed, alcohol or drug use contributed to the crash.
Brain damage if the sufferer regardless of how it was caused was not wearing a helmet.

Mmmm I’m sure you guys could come up with a few more SELF INFLICTED illnesses and injuries that do not deserve being treated in our overcrowded and expensive health system. :roll:

Also don't treat anyone with a genetic disposition to any disease or illness. How thoughtless not to choose your ancestors more carefully.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
User avatar
Redbull
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Rockingham

Previous

Return to Cycling Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit