Are these shoes too small ?

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Are these shoes too small ?

Postby giantguy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:16 pm

I have recently bought some shimano mt 42 shoes online and started using them. I normally wear a size 9 shoe so I ordered a size 43 Euro.

The first thing I noticed once received and trying them on was the tightness. A search on the net said to expect cycling shoes to be tighter than normal shoes. I have used them a few times and they feel fine until about 20 minutes I start to get some numbness. Wearing thinner socks and loosening the laces seems to make it better and soon I will try changing cleat position as well.

My main concern is my toes hit the end of the shoe a little. Is this normal or should there be more room ? I can wiggle them a little but I am used to not having my toes hit the end when wearing other shoes. I measured my foot length from heel to end of the big toe and it measures 26cm. When I measure inside the shoe it measures 26.5 - 27cm. Should there be more clearance than this ?

I am considering buying another pair of shoes the next size up at size 44 to see if it feels more comfortable with the thought that if its too loose I can wear some thicker socks.

So should I just put up with the shoes I have now or try the next size up by buying another pair and hoping its not too loose?
Thanks
giantguy

by BNA » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:41 pm

BNA

Re: Are these shoes too small ?

Postby roobab » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Definitely too tight. I am Euro 45 and have wide feet and tried on Shimano size 45 and they were way too tight.
I ended up getting Specialized and they fit perfectly. I have heard that this is a problem with Shimano shoes.
Also Northwave are supposed to fit better too.
roobab

Postby Davobel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes they are.
Whenever I buy a pair of shoes, if the thought of it feeling too tight enters my mind, then they are too tight. I have never bought a pair of shoes that fit perfectly and wondered at the time of purchase 'do they fit?'. Instead, I'm thinking 'these feel incredible !!!'

I will only buy my shoes in store, never online. Sizes vary and can change ever so slightly year to year. The savings from buying online are not worth the time and effort to not be 100% certain about my shoes. I'm ok to buy most other items online, just not shoes.
Davobel

Postby Tazzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 am

If you have my problem then it matter not where you get the shoes from, one of them is going to be too small or too big. I have 0.5cm difference between the length of my feet. Depending on the shoe I usually take a 8.5UK but others I need to go up to a 9. My first and only pair of cycling shoes were purchased online from TBSM and they recommended choose a 43 Shimano RD190. They said it wold cost less than $20 to exchange the shoes if they didn't fit.There are fairly snug, which I believe is the way they are meant to be but on the small side with my larger foot. If I go up a size to 44 then my smaller foot would probably need a thicker sock. I have to wear thin socks with the shoes otherwise I will feel the ends of them with my toes, particularly my big foot. I'm happy to wear the thin socks, they'll be good in summer and I have a pair of neoprene overshoes coming in the mail. In retrospect I wish I had of gone a size 44 and probably would next time, particularly for a winter pair of shoes. The problem with buying local is that the nearest bike shop just doesn't have the range of shoes to choose from and if they did they would be $100 dearer than online. I would have to travel a long way and pay more for the shoes, besides most online shops will let you return shoes if they don't fit. I once purchased a pair of hiking boots online that were too small. The shop's policy was that I pay the return shipping and they ship another pair if they don't fit. It cost $20 to send the shoes back and within a week I had the next size up. I could of done that 3 times and they still would of been cheaper than the nearest hiking shop. Also buying from a shop doesn't guarantee that you will be fitted properly for the shoes. I've had to take sandshoes back to the sports store because they weren't fitted properly. Having a half size difference between your feet doesn't help and I usually have to fit the big foot.
Tazzy

Postby giantguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for everyones input. I have decided to buy the next shoe size up and see how it feels and then probably sell the other pair of shoes that are too tight. I just wish LBS would have better prices and a better range of products but I find the few local shops nearby don't have anything like the range of products that can be bought online.
giantguy

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm a size 9 and take a Shimano 43 shoe no probs. Can even wear them with a thick sock when it's cold.
Ross

Postby ozrider » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm

My feet aren't wide and I wear a 43 in most brands but a 44 in Shimano, even with that I have the straps across the toes very loose otherwise I get numb feet.
Some people are like Slinkies, they're really good for nothing..

..But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
ozrider

Postby BigLexi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Shimano's are pretty annoying.

I'm 6 foot 5 and have a size 13 (46) shoe. I'm the same size in every shoe I own...but in a Shimano I'm a 49 apparently.
BigLexi

Postby giantguy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Just an update. I just received new shoes size 44 and went for my first ride. Certainly feels much more comfortable compared to size 43. I probably could have continued with the size 43 but just that slight extra bit of room in the bigger size just makes it the feel better.
giantguy

Postby jheeno » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:22 pm

are your toes folded to fit in the shoe ?
gets annoying and painful after a ride ... definitely watch if youve allowed more room

you only know its a good fit after a long ride
jheeno

Postby Wal42 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah I also have wide feet, I'm wearing euro size 47 Time U Teams, I find I have to leave the first (toe) & top strap a little on the loose side otherwise I get pins & needles through my feet after about 20kms. I find by leaving the straps a little loose & really pulling hard on the pedals when climbing it allows my feet to get enough circulation. I also have an old pair of Specialized body geo's in a size 48, these are probably 10years old, very comfy, but just not stiff enough in the sole plate. I have seen a few custom cycling shoe manufacturers out there but the price they charge is somewhat scarey (you pay for workmanship).
Wal42

Return to Cycling Health