Cyclists, protect your skin!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Just came across an article on skin protection for cyclists, as relates to sun exposure and skin cancer.

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2011/07/12 ... in-cancer/

It may be of benefit to more than a few of us.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

trailgumby

Re: Cyclists, protect your skin!

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Indeed. Australia is the skin cancer capital of the world - was reading today in a SMH article regarding the change in rules that's being approved to lift SPF ratings to 50+ that our rate is FOUR TIMES that of the US and Europe.

Yet event organisers and the cycling fashion industry fails to give is reasonable long-sleeve options. Most of the nice summer kit is still short-sleeve only. :x

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Also interesting that many roadie jokes and being proud of their tan lines. Complacency inducing?

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:49 am

Torpedo 7 do a long sleeve summer weight jersey and Cell bikes have Pearl Izumi Sun Sleeves that are good for sun protection.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... &sizeCode=

http://www.this link is broken/Pearl-Izumi-Sun-Sleeves

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:20 am

Please pardon the n00b-like question, but what about those of use who ride before 8am and after 5pm?

I'm pale and very susceptible to sun burn, but never been burnt riding to or from work due to the times I'm normally riding. Am I still at risk?

Some sun exposure is good for us, isn't it?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:40 am

Oxford wrote:The only time I have been burnt riding home commuting is when I've left during the middle of the day, now I keep sunscreen in my locker for those rare and odd occasions.
Good tip. I might start carrying some just in case.
Oxford wrote:the human body does require some exposure to sunlight.
That's my thinking. Moderation is the key I guess.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Search the fourm for discussion on arm coolers and then go the ebay and search for them. I use them all summer and haven't had a case of sunburn since I started using them. I use sunscreen on the neck and ears and usually leave my legs unscreened, except if I'm riding in the middle of the day (or all day) when I'll slather on the sunscreen.

Vitamin D is important, but you'll get that easily in summer with just a few casual minutes in the sun.

David (skin cancer survivor)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Search the fourm for discussion on arm coolers and then go the ebay and search for them. I use them all summer and haven't had a case of sunburn since I started using them. I use sunscreen on the neck and ears and usually leave my legs unscreened, except if I'm riding in the middle of the day (or all day) when I'll slather on the sunscreen.
.....)

I'll second that.

I have some summer weight L/S jerseys - one was nabbed of ebay, and the 2nd was a custom vesrion of the Mupi mob in China (Cheap Jersey thread). Just asked them to make a long sleeve summer weight version of the s/s one, and it only cost $5 or $10 extra.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:48 pm

rkelsen wrote:Some sun exposure is good for us, isn't it?
Yes. Everything in moderation. Appropriate UV dose is essential for good bones and general bodily health, just not in excess or in excessive concentration.

And it's so common to forget about leg protection on summer days.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I have the T7 L/S jersey. I suppose that's the exception that proves the rule: so few options.

I keep gettng asked if I'm sponsored by them. :P Sponsored? Are you kidding? With the way I ride? :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:26 pm

sogood wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Some sun exposure is good for us, isn't it?
Yes. Everything in moderation. Appropriate UV dose is essential for good bones and general bodily health, just not in excess or in excessive concentration.

And it's so common to forget about leg protection on summer days.
You need some exposure to UV to avoid vitamin D deficiency - its an essential nutrient.

But you can get that mainly through incidental exposure. People who wear full burkhas might have something to worry about, but most of us don't. And most cyclists are getting way more than
incidental exposure - anyone with tan lines certainly is.

See http://www.cancer.org.au/cancersmartlif ... taminD.htm
for the cancer council's recommendations.

You need Vitamin D, but your need is not enough to justify failing to use sunscreens.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:36 pm

trailgumby wrote: Sponsored? Are you kidding? With the way I ride? :lol:
Haven't you heard? Giant are looking for trail gumbies... ;)

Rambo

Postby Rambo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Through the summer I would have thought I was getting more than enough sun/Vit D (ridning/running, etc). After a blood test I was found to Vit D deficient, so need a supplement. I always use plenty of sunscreen, but cop a fair amount of tanning. Turns out my doc was telling me to get more sun. Can't see how that is compatible with with avoiding too much burn. Happier to pop a tablet, and protect my skin.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:38 pm

rkelsen wrote:Please pardon the n00b-like question, but what about those of use who ride before 8am and after 5pm?

I'm pale and very susceptible to sun burn, but never been burnt riding to or from work due to the times I'm normally riding. Am I still at risk?

Some sun exposure is good for us, isn't it?
those times are fine...10am-4pm is high risk times.
Vitamin D is important, but you'll get that easily in summer with just a few casual minutes in the sun
oddly enough its actually a lot longer than a few minutes. ask just about any GP and they'll report massive increases in measure Vit.D deficiency. Why is open to speculation and research, but clearly our increasing avoidance of the sun for all the right reasons is certainly having an impact.
My kids school has a "no hat no play policy". this is applied all year round. I would have though winter would be fine. is there a geophysicist around who can clarify UV levels winter vs summer?

lyno

Postby lyno » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 pm

scotto wrote:I would have though winter would be fine. is there a geophysicist around who can clarify UV levels winter vs summer?
Have a look at the BOM forecast for Brisbane tomorrow. Fine weather and "UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]". You could probably get sunburnt if you tried by spending the whole day outside unprotected.

2011 Oppy C6

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 am

Vitamin - D deficiency is being linked to diabetes. They recon ten minutes in the sun before ten or after two is the best treatment. :)

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:27 pm

lyno wrote:
scotto wrote:I would have though winter would be fine. is there a geophysicist around who can clarify UV levels winter vs summer?
Have a look at the BOM forecast for Brisbane tomorrow. Fine weather and "UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]". You could probably get sunburnt if you tried by spending the whole day outside unprotected.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Melbourne or Hobart. The further south you are in winter, the longer the time you need to be exposed to the sun to get adequate UV for Vitamin D synthesis.

For example, today in Melbourne we had clear sunny skies and the UV index was 2.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Yeah, cover up until 2006 Queenslander of the Year and Australian of the Year Professor Ian Frazer's new skin cancer vaccine comes out!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:56 pm

scotto wrote:oddly enough its actually a lot longer than a few minutes. ask just about any GP and they'll report massive increases in measure Vit.D deficiency. Why is open to speculation and research, but clearly our increasing avoidance of the sun for all the right reasons is certainly having an impact.
i was actually tested with a vitamin D deficiency last year, despite daily commuting. melbourne's weather was just so bad i didn't get any sun - and also i'm not out during the day.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Rambo wrote: Happier to pop a tablet, and protect my skin.
that's half the problem society faces , turnining to supplements and that magic pill to cure our problems , nothing like the natural thing

steve

Postby steve » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:20 am

Most helmets don't give proper sun protection and get very hot and sweaty - if your cruising at a leisurely pace a broad brim hat is the best sun protection choice.
Some helmets have vent holes through which you can get sunburnt both through the holes in the helmet and because it also fails to protect your face neck and ears.

On a cruse with a mate along the melbourne beach a while back i wore my mesh side leather hat and he wore his helmet.
2 hours riding later I was fine but his face had started turning pink.

We should all have the choice to choose what to wear to protect ourselves so please vote on getup! and help repeal mandatory bike helmet laws.

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/6081 ... ?ref=title
Please visit my bicycle australia web site to learn how to fight for common sense against unfair helmet laws.
http://bicycleaustralia.org

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 am

My father died from skin cancer at the age of 34. My older brother (45) has had a number of small skin cancers cut out. My younger brother (39) had his bottom lip removed and reconstructed from inside his mouth 2 weeks ago, due to skin cancer. He's still waiting to confirm if this got it, otherwise next step is radiation therapy etc.

So you can understand why I take it seriously.

I commute to work via bike everyday. This generally means I spend roughly 10 hours per week between the hours of 7-8am and 5:30-6:30pm out in the elements. During winter I am comfortable with this. I am a little concerned about the summer sun exposure though. Whilst I am avoiding the danger hours of 10 - 3pm, I still find I end up with tan line on the arms and legs during summer. I live in Brisbane.

Despite my family history, I so far have escaped any skin cancers (I'm 43).

Should I be concerned about my tanning in summer or is this within the "healthy" vit D intake range?

Queestce

Postby Queestce » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:10 am

I'm certainly not worried about a vit-d deficiency, I get more than enough. But I figured I'd take the advice of you guys as so many on here seem to have a good insight into health. I work outdoors from 10am till 3pm every week day, I wear full length leg protection, gloves, and a helmet with a very attractive flap on the back (I may work for aus post...). Anyway, I always use good creme on the arms, and generally a light spf15 on my face - but my question is this, if I'm not noticing any burning am I doing enough to protect myself? My face is fairly well shielded by the helmet, and the flap fully covers my neck. But I know reflected light can still be a killer, should I be lathering up the face and neck with high SPF too? I'd very much like to avoid cancer :p

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 pm

My understanding is that vit D deficiency is mainly an issue for people who live in cold climates, don't go outside a lot, when they do they are covered up, don't eat enough vit D rich foods. It is more common in dark-skinned people (the increased melanin in their skin blocks conversion of the vitamin D precursor to the active form by UV light). I think it is rare in Australia.

Melanoma, SCC and BCC are not rare in Australia. They are very common. Melanoma is thought to be the most deadly cancer in this country (not in terms of overall numbers of people dying, but in terms of "years of life lost", as it is not uncommon in younger people). Tanning is indicative of over-exposure to sunlight. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a safe tan (except maybe a fake one). If you want to look good in your old age, with fewer wrinkles, crusts, scabs, nodules, scars etc etc (or even if you want to reach an old age): stay out of the sun (and don't smoke).

If you are vitamin D deficient, see a competent medical practitioner, who can advise you on the best therapy (I wouldn't personally be starting by increasing my exposure to the sun).
New tar seal in front of my wheel

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:09 am

Recently I had a blood test that revealed that everything was good except for a vitamin D deficiency: 44 against 75 to 250 ideal range.
Now..... considering that I'm an endurance cyclist who rides for a minimum of 7 hours during daylight hours in all seasons this may seem a little strange...until you consider that I use arm warmers or coolers (and sometimes leg coolers on hot days) Also most of my training rides are in darkness after work hours.

I'll be modifying my behaviour to increase my exposure to the sun by using sunscreen a bit more rather than the 99% blockout of arm and leg protectors. Also I'll keep the arm coolers down at my wrists up until the high UV time of day starts.