Chilblains

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Chilblains

Postby Spiza » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm getting them on my fingers and they're driving me nuts! :x :x :x

From what i've read on the interweb keeping your fingers and toes warm is the only prevention if you're prone to them.

Anyone else suffer from them? What has worked to prevent them and what treatment has worked to clear them up quickly.

I might also have a mild case of Raynauds. Going to see the Doc tomorrow. :roll:
Spiza

by BNA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

BNA

Re: Chilblains

Postby Spiza » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

SOFT!!! HTFU!!!

Just thought I'd be the first to say it :P
Spiza

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Basically chilblains appear to be caused by poor blood supply, and if it is a recent occurrence the cause should be investigated by your doctor.

I’m prone to get chilblains on my hands during really cold weather, so I now ride wearing my normal cycling gloves + soft woollen gloves over the top. Toes are also a problem so its two pairs of socks during the extreme cold.

I blame having been a long time nicotine addict causing restrictions of blood flow to the extremities.

There are some herbal remedies that seem to help, personally I have found taking Ginkgo-biloba capsules morning and night during the winter does reduce the onset of chilblains.
greyhoundtom

Postby TimW » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Causes
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

a familial tendency.
poor circulation.
anemia.
hormonal changes. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
some connective tissue disorders and some bone marrow disorders.
Damp living conditions may also increase the risk for chilblains.
poor nutrition.
TimW

Postby Spiza » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Tom, I got them for the first time last winter and they disappeared after a few weeks. An extremely cold morning ride 3 weeks ago triggered this latest outbreak. My hands went numb and began to ache. It was like putting your hands in ice water for an hour! I had long finger gloves, inner gloves and I also pulled my arm warmers over my hands. My toes go numb too but don't suffer from chilblains. It has really turned me off riding on cold mornings and nights :(

Went to the Doc and he prescribed corticosteroid cream for the itch and swelling and some ointment to help circulation. It's helping a little. I'm also having a blood test as I haven't had one in years. I'm definitely going to try your suggestion of Ginkgo-biloba caps.

Tim, I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with poor circulation. I don't know about the other stuff :lol:
Spiza

Postby TimW » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

Hope it gets better soon, sounds nasty.Tim
TimW

Postby parvaneh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey there, I can empathise. I've just found out I've got a mild case of raynauds & chilblains.I freaked out last week when my fingers were swollen - I haven't had it that bad before - which is weird because I'm also a snowboarder and have no issues at the snow. I only get on my hands. It can also be caused by sudden or extreme psychological or emotional stress...so perhaps stress combined with cold makes it worse? Do you smoke? if you do, give it up - mine circulation improved dramatically from it. You could also try swimming & yoga is good for circulation & I think there are a few postures specifically good for circulation.

Just found this page - it might help out.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/health/circulation.asp

good luck
:)
parvaneh

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 am

In regard to improving blood circulation that I forgot to mention is that the one other thing I found that has helped brilliantly is to take 100 mg of aspirin every night.

Cheers,
Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby nutsack » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:09 am

Being on aspirin helps some people.

A prescription drug NIfedipine, 20mg dose, daily over winter can help prevent chilblains by dilating blood vessels & increasing flow to the peripheries.

Strong steroid creams applied to the chilblans helps treat any already present.

Most importantly keep your hands and feet warm.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red
nutsack

Postby Spiza » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 pm

(AT) nutsack, The Doc checked my blood pressure and said if it wasn't too low he could put me on medication that dilates blood vessels and helps circulation. I think they use it for reducing blood pressure. I don't particularly want to take that type of medication so he gave me an ointment to use instead.

I was going to ask him about taking Aspirin but completely forgot.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Spiza

Postby zozza » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

:P
zozza

Postby ruscook » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:05 pm

zozza wrote:Image

:P

Yes Zozza, washing up gloves (or any air tight gloves ) are a known motorcycling remedy for extreme cold. I've used them in minus temperature winter rides (generally under my leather gloves so I have protection and retained heat).

Give it a try spiz, it may help.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook

Postby Spiza » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Nah, I hate washing up Russ :wink:
Spiza

Postby ozrider » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I have the same thing but in my toes, first time ever.

Apparently in extreme cold conditions your body naturally restricts the blood flow to the extremities. What causes the chilblains, I've been told, is rapidly reheating the fingers and toes.

I can only put it down to jumping in a hot shower immediately after coming home from a long wet cold ride. Normally I will warm up a bit naturally before showering but this day I was soaked to the skin.

Normal circulation appears to be OK, pressing the toes turns them white and colour returns instantly, I'm no Doctor but I believe if there was issues it would take a while for colour to return.
Some people are like Slinkies, they're really good for nothing..

..But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
ozrider

Return to Cycling Health