Dizzy

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Dizzy

Postby thygreyhound » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:12 pm

So firstly, some background info. Im 19yo, 6ft tall and weigh about 65kg (I know i'm underweight) and have been the same height and weight for a couple of years. I was a competitve swimmer (training about 24 hours a week) for 7 years up until april last year and have never had this problem before (I have had problems with not recovering and low energy levels I put down to lack of sleep and lack of mass). Since leaving the swimming scene I have lost muscle (down to 61kg) but gained some fat (back to 65kg).

The problem that I have is: if I decide to go for a run I get so dizzy that I so dizzy that I can't see. After sitting down it takes about 10 to 15 mins for the room to stop spinning. I have only recently started cycling but I find that I have the same problem as running.

Like to hear your thoughts on this :)
thygreyhound

by BNA » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 pm

BNA

Re: Dizzy

Postby Leiothrix » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 pm

This one is easy -- go see a doctor.

It could be something like low blood pressure or diabetes, or could be something really bad like a congenital heart defect which could cause you to drop dead with too much exertion.
Leiothrix

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Many possible benign and not so benign reasons possible. As a general rule it's wise to have your family check it out for you. Without physical examination and further investigations, descriptive questioning can only go so far.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby thygreyhound » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

I will be seeing a doctor about It, I was just curious to see what you guys thought.

I forgot to mention that in my work as an usher I am required to stand for long periods of time. A couple of weeks ago after about 4 hours I was spinning (I know, really not good).

I think it would be some sort of deficiency. Possibly sugar? It can't be dehydration.

Will let you know in a couple of days what the doctor thinks.
thygreyhound

Postby wombatK » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm

thygreyhound wrote:I forgot to mention that ...

It's a good idea to make a list to take with you to the doctor, as it's very easy to forget to mention important
things. You need to give him the full picture, so that he knows where to go next.

It can also help to make a list of questions you've got - to make sure you get them answered before leaving.

Hopefully, that's one positive you can get from discussing it here first. Just don't withhold anything cause you
didn't think anyone here thought it important or you aren't sure if it's relevant.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby rastas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 pm

It may or may not help, when I was younger (16) I never ate breakfast and got to the stage where I couldn't run 100m without nearly passing out.
Went to the doctor, had a blood test and got told to buy a box of Allbran on the way home and have a bowl every morning.
Long story short it fixed the issue straight away and I make sure I have brekky every morning now. Go and see your doctor :wink:
rastas

Postby MikeyD360 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:11 pm

You haven't mentioned what your diet/eating habits are like... sounds very much like you might be low on blood sugar, and with the bodyweight you are talking about, there isn't much room for skipping meals or eating light. If you don't already, try eating some carbs around 30mins or so before a ride and see if that changes anything. I have passed out in the past from riding hard after skipping meals, not fun.
2012 Fuji SST1.0 stealth (full Ultegra)
2010 Merida TFS400D Hybrid
MikeyD360

Postby munga » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 pm

yep. dizzy, can't see. sounds like you need to see a doctor ;p
6foot tall and 65kg isn't as bad as it sounds.
my 14 year old nephew is about the same height and weight, and he plays soccer and cycles regularly with no trouble, but he has recently started to enjoy food - when he was younger he was a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w eater.
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Postby chops_81 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Hey thygreyhound any news back from what doc said?
Regards,
Brad

2009 Giant TCR Advanced 1
2009 Cannondale F7
Baby Trailer for the little tacker!!

chops_81

Postby thygreyhound » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Ok so I saw the doctor. Blood pressure is normal and so is my heart beat. I now weigh 62kg which he thinks is ok. Just awaiting the blood test results. I'll let you know what they come up with.
thygreyhound

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:49 pm

6ft and 62kgs...underweight for a rugby player,pretty damn good for a cyclist :wink: .
Hope you find your problem quick.
toolonglegs

Postby Chuck » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:34 am

toolonglegs wrote:6ft and 62kgs...underweight for a rugby player,pretty damn good for a cyclist :wink: .

toolonglegs wrote:Hope you find your problem quick.

+1
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Return to Cycling Health