Lowering high blood pressure

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Lowering high blood pressure

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:13 pm

YEH HAH!!

I've always had high blood pressure since I was about 35. My parent both have high BP too. I'm now 45. A few years ago I had to have a routine stress test on a treadmill and my blood pressure was so high that the doctor recommended I see a cardiologist. The doc said I had a high BP but not dangerous. It was normally ~155/93+. He suggested the only way to be sure I was 'safe' was to have an angiogram. I did. My arteries were normal for a non-smoking man of my age. The cardiologist suggested I don't need medication and should lose some weight and exercise more.

Well after a few false starts with cycling and lots of excuses I have managed to ride 130-190km each week for the past 5 weeks and have lost 5kg.

Today my blood pressure was tested consistently at 114/73 and my pulse has come down to 65. This is awesome news for me because I have avoided medication and I feel so much better. 8)

So regular, hard exercise like cycling really does work but then I bet you all know that. I've now got my 70yo father on a bike and hopefully he will see the same benefits over time.

Keep riding!
DaveOZ

by BNA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

BNA

Re: Lowering high blood pressure

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

That's pretty amazing for just a few weeks work. But bear in mind that one's BP and HR can vary wildly under special circumstances eg. In a doctor's surgery. One off measurement is not sufficient to make a diagnosis.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:30 pm

I should clarify that I have been riding for a year now, but it's only been the last 5 weeks that I have been able to keep the miles up without distractions. I have my own BP meter and have seen it slowly come down to these levels.
DaveOZ

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 pm

That's good to hear Dave but does not always apply to everyone. 8)

Can help lower some peoples pressure but not all the time. :|
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Baldy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 pm

DaveOZ wrote: I've now got my 70yo father on a bike and hopefully he will see the same benefits over time.

I have no idea about BP but I know what I like........^^that
Baldy

Return to Cycling Health