Tips for minimising a sore backside for a new commuter

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Postby tjanssen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:26 am

I have changed jobs recently and from the change, it has become feasible to ride to work. Whilst I have been riding on and off for a while now, I find that with my new touring bike (a Marin Point Reyes 29er from Smiths in Fyshwick. They are good people!!!) that I am getting a sore backside when doing distances longer than 40km. My regular commute will be 14km each way but yesterday that was disrupted due to the chemical fire out at Mitchell ;) I have padded bike pants but nothing else. If people can give me some tips, that would be great.

P.S. Digging this forum. It has been quite helpful indeed :)
tjanssen

by BNA » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 pm

BNA

Postby Redbull » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Ride more, ride more often. It will pass.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Re: Tips for minimising a sore backside for a new commuter

Postby Oxford » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 pm

what Redbull said, plus look at your saddle, maybe go for a harder one which seems counter intuitive, but the longer you ride the less padding you want. the more padding you have the more you sink into the saddle and the more pressure is placed on parts of your anatomy that will not be comfortable.

also make sure your knicks are clean for each ride, using the same ones to commute each way is not a real drama, but cleaning them at night for the next day would be advisable, this limits the potential for bacteria to accumulate and create a potentially infectious situation.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Mmmm +1 to hygeine measures. Saddle sores are not fun. :cry: :oops: I won't say any more because it will be TMI :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby tjanssen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Cheers for the advice, I'll make sure to take it on board. I am hoping that the regular commute will toughen me up a bit.

In regards to saddle, the one that came standard with my bike was a WTB Vigo Comp with Love Channel and Comfort Zone (according to the specs page of the Marin Bikes website. It is a little spongy so I may look at getting a tougher saddle. Redbull and Oxford, do you have any suggestions in terms of brands or widths for saddles?

On a side note, on my first ride with the bike It took three days to recover from soreness after a 50km ride. The last ride on Friday which had many more hill climbs that also lasted 50km, I am pretty much pain free after 36 hours. So it does seem to be getting better.

Thanks again,

Terence
Current ride: Marin Point Reyes 29er 2011
Old ride: Giant Cypress City 2009
tjanssen

Postby Oxford » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:24 pm

tjanssen wrote:... Redbull and Oxford, do you have any suggestions in terms of brands or widths for saddles?

Well like many here, my choice of saddle is a Brooks B17, rawhide leather, do a search of the forums there's plenty of posts/threads about them and the other models of saddles.

As for widths, find a piece of closed cell foam and two marbles (ball bearings also work or any other small balls). Sit on the foam for about 30 seconds until you make an impression on it, roll the balls into the depressions and measure the distance apart. This is the width of your sit bones, you need to find a saddle that will support these areas firmly. Too narrow and the seat will just divide your cheeks, too wide and you may find no support in the right areas.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby Robdog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:59 pm

As far as saddles go, everyone is different. I know Smith carry Selle SMP, and they have one to 'test drive'. I've found mine pretty good. For me though the big difference was getting a bike fit. My seat was waaay too high which caused me to tilt my hips forward on the saddle putting pressure on the perineum instead of the sit bones. Instant difference once I had that corrected.
2009 Avanti Cadent Team
2007 Avanti Carbonio Team - Died and gone to heaven
2005 Avanti Barracuda - Reincarnated
Robdog

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 am

Oxford wrote:you need to find a saddle that will support these areas firmly. Too narrow and the seat will just divide your cheeks, too wide and you may find no support in the right areas.
In addition to this, for most, the main problem will probably be too narrow. I believe the general recommendation is at least 3cm wider than your sit bone measurement.
Nobody

Postby mezla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

What type of knicks do you have?

I find bib-knicks better - they stay where they should. Also, a good pair of knicks versus a cheap pair of knicks will help a lot.
mezla

Return to Cycling Health