Tips for minimising a sore backside for a new commuter

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
tjanssen

Postby tjanssen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:26 am

I have changed jobs recently and from the change, it has become feasible to ride to work. Whilst I have been riding on and off for a while now, I find that with my new touring bike (a Marin Point Reyes 29er from Smiths in Fyshwick. They are good people!!!) that I am getting a sore backside when doing distances longer than 40km. My regular commute will be 14km each way but yesterday that was disrupted due to the chemical fire out at Mitchell ;) I have padded bike pants but nothing else. If people can give me some tips, that would be great.

P.S. Digging this forum. It has been quite helpful indeed :)

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Ride more, ride more often. It will pass.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

trailgumby

Re: Tips for minimising a sore backside for a new commuter

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Mmmm +1 to hygeine measures. Saddle sores are not fun. :cry: :oops: I won't say any more because it will be TMI :lol:

tjanssen

Postby tjanssen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Cheers for the advice, I'll make sure to take it on board. I am hoping that the regular commute will toughen me up a bit.

In regards to saddle, the one that came standard with my bike was a WTB Vigo Comp with Love Channel and Comfort Zone (according to the specs page of the Marin Bikes website. It is a little spongy so I may look at getting a tougher saddle. Redbull and Oxford, do you have any suggestions in terms of brands or widths for saddles?

On a side note, on my first ride with the bike It took three days to recover from soreness after a 50km ride. The last ride on Friday which had many more hill climbs that also lasted 50km, I am pretty much pain free after 36 hours. So it does seem to be getting better.

Thanks again,

Terence
Current ride: Marin Point Reyes 29er 2011
Old ride: Giant Cypress City 2009

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:59 pm

As far as saddles go, everyone is different. I know Smith carry Selle SMP, and they have one to 'test drive'. I've found mine pretty good. For me though the big difference was getting a bike fit. My seat was waaay too high which caused me to tilt my hips forward on the saddle putting pressure on the perineum instead of the sit bones. Instant difference once I had that corrected.
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 am

Oxford wrote:you need to find a saddle that will support these areas firmly. Too narrow and the seat will just divide your cheeks, too wide and you may find no support in the right areas.
In addition to this, for most, the main problem will probably be too narrow. I believe the general recommendation is at least 3cm wider than your sit bone measurement.

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

What type of knicks do you have?

I find bib-knicks better - they stay where they should. Also, a good pair of knicks versus a cheap pair of knicks will help a lot.