Triceps fatigue.

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Triceps fatigue.

Postby avroncotton » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Anyone had this. I have looked back through past threads and can't find any others. During long rides (say 60kms and more) I get very tired in the triceps and it takes a couple of days to subside. Should I be doing some weight training on them? or just work through?

Cheers
avroncotton

by BNA » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:06 pm

BNA

Re: Triceps fatigue.

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm assuming we're talking arms here?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Triceps fatigue.

Postby Redbull » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:22 pm

They will get used to it - same as all the other parts that are sore.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby jules21 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 pm

don't hold the bars too tight.

are you mountain biking, by any chance?
jules21

Postby avroncotton » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:46 pm

No, on the Road Bike. I have been riding for 20 years but only recently has this started to eventuate.
avroncotton

Postby biftek » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:32 pm

a bit of weight workout or bodyweight like dips will strengthen them
like every muscle they get shocks in them that can cause a bit of pain , look at changing your grip every so often , and stretches
biftek

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:59 am

avroncotton wrote:Anyone had this. I have looked back through past threads and can't find any others. During long rides (say 60kms and more) I get very tired in the triceps and it takes a couple of days to subside. Should I be doing some weight training on them? or just work through?

Cheers
What is the drop from the saddle to the handlebar measured at the top, hoods and drops? (Measure using the ground as a reference.) Do you spend a lot of time in/on the drops?

Can you do 20+ pushups at a time? If not and you spend a lot of time in/on the drops, that may be your problem. Most people find weaker parts after some time. Mine are neck and hands usually.
Nobody

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 pm

I am going to go with your saddle setback is not right.
Your saddle should be set back in a position so that you are not putting too much weight on your arms.
Steve Hogg suggests that you should be able to ride along in the drops at a reasonable effort and then take your hands off the bars and put them behind your back without collapsing forward or overly arching your back.

Have you changed anything in your setup recently?
New saddle, new post, new bike?
sumgy

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Agree with above. Most of your weight should be going down through your butt. You shouldn't be weighting your arms much at all. A light grip on the bars in essential for control.

If you raise your butt out of the saddle 1/2 to 1 cm without sliding forwards, and take your weight through your feet (at 3 and 9 o'clock), then lift your hands off the bars slightly, you should only very gently tip forwards. i.e. with your butt above the seat slightly, your centre of gravity should be only just a little in front of the pedal axles.

I would be surprised if your condition is really weak triceps. I'd suggest you get your neck checked out for nerve impingement.
winstonw

Return to Cycling Health