Numbness

I'm not a doctor but… 
Cycling injury, recovery and health issues.
Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

Numbness

Postby matyb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 am

Hey guys,

New to road cycling and experiencing numbness in the baby making equipment, nearly two weeks after a 60km ride things are not back to normal....I am hoping others have had the same experience? The problem was the saddle and bike set up which has since been rectified...I think.
matyb

by BNA » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:49 am

BNA

Re: Numbness

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:49 am

I'd be seeking professional advice on that one.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby matyb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 am

twizzle wrote:I'd be seeking professional advice on that one.

not what i was hoping to hear....but not unexpected!
matyb

Postby goneriding » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 am

Have you continued to ride the bike since the numbness started? I'd suggest you probably need to stay off the bike until things get back to normal and if numbness persists go and visit your friendly neighbourhood GP for an enlightening discussion.

Some of these types of problems occur when you are new to riding due to a lack of strength/conditioning in the areas cycling uses. A bit of work on core strength will generally help.
goneriding

Postby Schmenz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:31 am

I'd see your gp. I'd there are any bowel or bladder changes, or numbness in the area where a horse saddle would sit rather than just a focal point, go today!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
Schmenz

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm

matyb wrote:
twizzle wrote:I'd be seeking professional advice on that one.

not what i was hoping to hear....but not unexpected!

There's a bunch of nerves and blood vessels down there that your aren't supposed to sit on. Read up on the whole 'sit bones' thing. But you can also get interesting effects from your lower back without even realising it's coming from your lower back. My 'bits' go numb if I ride the trainer (dunno why, just doesn't work for me), or if I ride in an extreme aero position for too long - but everything comes back to life after a couple of minutes.

I've heard of someone who did the 'gong ride, got numb hands, kept going... still had numb spots a month later. Don't know if he got an answer, but the two possible causes there were carpal tunnel or pinching of the ulnar nerve in the elbow.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby matyb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 pm

A mate of mine's wife (who is living in the UK) is a Urologist so i sent her an email reagrding the delicate situation and this was her response..."Bicycle seat neuropathy is due to the compression of the pudendal nerves and is very common. Neuropraxias like this can persisit after the event due to bruising, swelling or inflammation around the nerve. It might take months to completely resolve but is should be fine." To paraphrase the rest she basically said make sure you get a seat with cut outs (done) to prevent the nerve from being compressed and get your position on the bike sorted out (getting it checked out by a pro next week).
PHEW!!!!
matyb

Postby sumgy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:07 pm

I would be definitely checking out the following :

- saddle tilt (I prefer dead flat to slightly nose down but it is a personal thing)
- Saddle. Some people and some saddles just dont get on. Some like flat saddles, some like a more curved shape, some like cut outs, some dont.
- Seat height. If your saddle is too high you may be reaching on one side as your body tries to compensate for the too high position. In turn this may cause issues in various ways including perhaps your numbness.

Do your homework in regards to a professional fitting.
Some are good and others are just drones following a process or computer program.
sumgy

Return to Cycling Health